The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking for the name of a rope trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
Evening all,

I was going to search for this, but it's down so I'll just ask. I don't remember the whole routine, only a part of the effect. The part I remember is when the magician is holding up two lengths of rope. They are unequal. The magician takes a pair of sisscors and cuts off the unequal part but when he steps back the rope is unequal again, this is repeated a few times, to the audiences delight the rope never seems to be equal.

I think I know how this is done and it may just be an extenstion of some other tricks, but I'd like to know the name of it, so I can find a book that describes it.

Thanks

Chris
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
I do a version of this using a fairly long piece of rope and a basic cut and restored rope routine, such as found in Mark Wilson's course. After you do the cut and before you do the restoration, you can "make the ends even".
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Harold Sterling's "Short and Long Rope Trick." Been doing it for 50 years.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22043 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is described in Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks Vol. 1 and Abbott's sells it separately I believe. Sterling Magic Shop has been out of business for years. It originally was a routine with 2 children. Every line was spelled out in the routine on one newspaper size sheet.

The book is in paperback now and on most magic shops' shelves.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
HELP.

I posted this request at cut and restore, but maybe this is the right place to ask. Years ago I saw Dick Cavett on TV do a version of cut and restore where he slid the scissors down the rope and asked a volunteer to tell him when to stop. I have never seen it performed that way before or since, so my question is, does anyone know Dick Cavett's phone number?

Thanks.

Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Looking for the name of a rope trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL