We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I have two refrigerator boxes— what should I do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I was looking for a pair of moderate sized cardboard boxes to build Grant's Victory Cartons illusion, and scored a pair of refrigerator boxes instead (one is a little smaller in circumference than the other and will fit inside it). I was about to cut them down to size when I realized there might be a rare opportunity for something else here, since I don't get my hands on boxes like these every day.

I'm about to start working my way through my bookshelf looking for ideas, but I thought I would see if there were any suggestions here in case I miss something. What would you do with two giant cardboard boxes like this? I'm not asking for secrets, just direction. Ideas can be kid magic focussed but don't have to be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers...
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Both Darwin and Mark Wilson (and probably scores of others) have in there books some simple illusions that can be built with cardbaord boxes.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Make a refrigerator appear!
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I once made a tip-over type box that looked like a washing machine out of cardboard. I actually bolted hinges on the heavy cardboard. It also had a working door in the top like where you would load clothes to wash. I glued a cotrol panel on top, complete with buttons and switches and I painted it. I was really amazed myself at how good it looked.

I used it for a clown bit where I washed my clothes...with me still in them! The machine started shaking, making strange sounds, and smoke started pouring from it. After it finally stopped, I came jumping out the top and my clothes had shrunk...and so had I. Actually my little assistant (daughter) was dressed just like me and came bursting out through the top door. It was a really fun routine.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Smile Regan, that sounds awesome! Great originality and comic thinking.

Cliffg37, Mark Wilson's is one of the sources I have (that's where the victory carton illusion is from). There are a few others in there as well. I've been thinking about a few others from that source as well. What I'm really stuck on is deciding though. I could make any one of those illusions from the boxes I have, but that's it. So to all of you out there, if you had two giant boxes, and you could make only one of the homemade effects possible, which one would you pick? Once I cut them, there's no turning back, so I want to be sure....

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Reg. I remembered seeing a similar skit at a circus when I was a kid.

Regan
Mister Mystery
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
A friend of mine used to play malls years ago. They were always asking him to produce the Easter Bunny, Santa, an Elf, local VIP. He made a large Temple screen out of a refrigerator box and wallpaper. Looked OK and worked fine. Mike
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I was chatting with my other half Donna over dinner the other night and we started thinking about when we were kids and used to play with -- and make up stories with -- whatever was available. Sure we had toys, but this was back in the days when toys were just props and you made up your own "playing."

She mentioned she and a friend found a couple of large boxes at a store, took them home, and proceeded to create a palace and a story about a princess. Said it was the most fun she'd had in years.

My first reaction to what to do with a couple of refrigerator boxes is to use them as just what they are -- create a story about when we were kids and used our imaginations and played with what we found. I'd do it like a flashback in a movie. Maybe cut a couple of windows in one box and use it like a square circle or a tip-over, and produce a couple of kids in costume, playing out a story. If the gimmick is large enough, produce a couple of adults, also in costume, after the kids.

In this day and age (sadly and unfortunately), I'd want to cover the manufacturer's name on the boxes or somehow disguise it to avoid implications.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
George,

You really bring back the memories. What you are talking about is the precise reason I screen all my daughters playthings. I know I am fighting a battle that I will ultimatly lose.

I have a poster up in my classroom that was put out a while back by hewlett packard, it is a picture of a child holding a homebuilt toy propeller car.. The caption says, "all kids are inventors!"

We need more in this world of putting bored kids together in a room with no toys, so they can create their own props. I guarentee you they will, unless thier collective creativity has been killed by TV etc.

BTW: I love the idea of using the boxes for appearences in a story.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Well, my wife and I worked out a presentation of Grant's Victory Cartons that should work really well for a show we are doing this Christmas. We have the two box shells covered with wrapping paper to look like a Christmas present. I created an extra "lid" with a big bow on it to go on top after the outer box is put in place. The story goes along the lines that I am making a box for a big Christmas present, but I have nothing to put in it—the box is empty. At that point the box "lurches", and some sleigh bells are heard ringing inside. We open the big present, and out pops Santa Claus! Smile

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good job!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I have two refrigerator boxes— what should I do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL