The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Morrisey Mini Chop cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I just bought a Morrisey Mini Chop cup on Ebay. I didn't know it was Morrissey at the time that I bought it, and honestly, that wouldn't have effected my purchase. It was really cheap, I think I got it for $5, wound up twice that for shipping/handling.

I've heard the name Morrisey bantered around a bit here, but couldn't remember for ill or good. I got the cup. Well, it's aluminum and therefor the quality can only be so good, but the action of the gaff is great. It works towards the outside of the cup, that means that when I show the spec the ball in the cup it looks very natural. The strength of the gaff is about as close to perfect as I've felt.

If only it weren't such a cheap cup
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I don't know the Morrisey in aluminium, but you got a real bargain!

I do have (on purpose) 2 of them in copper and they are as good as any can be..

Actually, I still use the Morrisey, despite of the brass Mini Don I bought..nothing wrong with the Mini Don, I'm just used to the Morrisey.. so the Mini Don and the extra Morrisey are just spares..will last a lifetime..

Apart from the balls Morrisey these days does supply, which are simply toooooo loosely crochet covered -actually a disaster-, the cup is great!

I even like the design of it a better then any of the others..a bit strange, but I do..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Morrissey products have usually been (with occassional exceptions), a consistently good, middle-of-the-road product.

The older stuff, especially spun copper items, were of a heavier guage than their modern counterparts. I have a nice older Foo Can that is well made. I also have an old set of mini cups and a newer 4th cup to go with the set. Huge difference in thickness.

I have also noticed a huge difference in the combo cup sets as of late. The gimmicked cup couldn't be more obvious if it were painted hot pink. Years back, I had a set of their aluminum combos to learn the Mendoza routine. I know they were better made than what I've seen lately.

The chop cup gaff strength is good... I've only seen one bad one from years of selling them in a magic shop. Just a fluke at the time, though.

Because Herb Morrissey passed away not long ago, things could go one way or the other, or could stay the same. We'll see.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Morrissey is an interesting company to deal with. They still do excellent metal work. I have several of their items in the collection, and have used their aluminum mini chop cup on occasion.

The loosely crocheted balls aren't great in a chop cup, but can be advantageous in certain regular cups. Their head metal spinner, Richard Olson, does know what he is doing, though.

In order to keep their cups competitive with those currently being brought in from India and Argentina, Morrissey has reduced the gauge of the metal. Also, in their combo cup, they have used a different method for inserting the gaff.

But they won't sacrifice the quality of their actual spinning. So that's a good thing. Herb's son is now the owner of the company and he takes his legacy very seriously.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of David French
I have used both the mini and the large Morrissey Chop cups for years. I have had some in the past that would "rattle" but the ones I have had for the last few years have been perfect. They are a good quailty cup and have worked well for me.

David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mike Brazill of Rings and Things figured out how to keep rattles from happening. The method is quite clever. I'm sure that other people are using it now, and since it isn't mine to share, I won't.

I imagine Morrissey has figured it out, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2212 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2004-11-30 07:36, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

Apart from the balls Morrisey these days does supply, which are simply toooooo loosely crochet covered -actually a disaster-, the cup is great!

If you ever need your Morrissey balls re-crochetted let me know. My girls here at the shop can reskin your original balls for you so they match and work with your existing cups or chop cup.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-12-26 15:07, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-11-30 07:36, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

If you ever need your Morrissey balls re-crochetted let me know. My girls here at the shop can reskin your original balls for you so they match and work with your existing cups or chop cup.

Jake
Thanx, actually I got the brass Mini Don with an extra set of balls and I have to say, the crochetting is just GREAT!
In the meantime I found a spare set I once bought for the Morrisey and as this goes over 20 years back I bought it, the balls are OK too..
But one never knows..I'll remember you can do a fine job and will get in touch if and when I need redone some crochetting..thanx for the offer.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Morrisey Mini Chop cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL