The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maven Color Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
396 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Can anyone tell me about the Max Maven color books of mentalism? I am very interested in looking at the entire set....

Thanks
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1184 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
There are plenty of reviews and discussions on the forum, just do a search. And by the way, they can often be bought on ebay.com.

Good luck
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Can you do a search now? I'm still getting messages that the search function is down?

But anyway, I happen to have a set on ebay at the moment. The last set on there sold for $490. Mine right now is at $280.

Good luck. It is an amazing set of books, but beware of copies. I talk about one way to tell forgeries in my ebay listing.

Brad
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1035 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Do magic dealers no longer stock them???
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
The colour series are long out of print, and exceptional in quality.

K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Exceptional quality? Amazing set of books? Rubbish. The content is good but not exceptional. The only amazing thing is the price of 2nd-hand offerings.

These books are WAY over-hyped. Don't be swayed. Save your money. Buy Stunners Plus or Theater of The Mind etc.

Dr. Zordas
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
You won't find any holy grails in them but they give great food for thought and some great routines.
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Personaly I found them very good though I have read better. Some of the stuff just doesn't fit in my act though.
One day I will write a book
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
At the time the color series was released (mid to late 1970s), they were exceptional -- the cutting edge of modern mentalism. Goldstein updated some older ideas and developed some very useful concepts and commercial presentations. I have continued to use many of these concepts and presentational ideas over the past 20+ years since they were released, and they are still as commercial and effective as they were "back in the day."

It was the color series that inspired me to continue to develop as a mentalist and psychic entertainer. IMO, this series is still an exceptional resource to the serious mentalist.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I found "Indication" in the violet book to be worth the price of the series, even second hand. A simple anywhere, anytime mind reading piece that is truly deceptive is worth its weight in gold to any performer.

While I agree that the Stunners books have good tricks in them, I feel that Becker's style is probably less suitable to those wanting a "mind reading" feel as opposed to a "mental magic" feel. Having said that, I think Water's Mind, Myth and Magic would serve a student better.

Finally, the strength of the color books is variety of material and workability of ideas. Rather than just giving a card trick in order to establish in print a great concept which could be employed in a more commercial trick, Max tips real tricks in the Color series which are well thought out, commercial, and deceptive.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Ebay set now over $300.00 and going up.

I have these and have sold extra that I have been able to get.

These are a part of modern mentalism Americana and will only go up in value in the future.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-11-30 10:26, truthteller wrote:
Can you do a search now? I'm still getting messages that the search function is down?

It is, but you can still use Google to search the Café. Just include the line "site:www.themagiccafe.com" in your search and it will limit itself to Café posts only.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
I remember getting The Blue Book of Mentalism shortly after it was released in the late 1970s, (Has it really been that long? A quarter-century?) and how impressed I was with Phil's thinking. It was unlike much of what else existed at the time, and I remember thinking that this Phil Goldstein fellow was definitely going to be a force in the coming years.

I'm stunned at the prices they currently fetch on eBay. Very remarkable considering the original prices ranged from $3 to $5. Are they worth the hundreds of dollars they're currently getting on eBay? I can't answer that, but I do know that when I purchased them many years ago, I realized they were amazingly inexpensive for the quality of the material being offered.

I'm curious if there'll be a re-release at some point of the material, there's a cryptic comment on Max's website about forthcoming book projects, so we'll have to wait and see.

Jeremy
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Just an hour or so left for you chance to own fabulous booklets.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Quote:

On 2004-12-01 16:59, Jeremy Greystoke wrote:

Are they worth the hundreds of dollars they're currently getting on eBay? I can't answer that....

I can. NO. Simple as that. As I said, WAY over-hyped. People who pay silly amounts of money for the set will feel truly ripped-off, although they won't tell you this because the booklets are 'Amazing' and of 'Exceptional Quality'.

Dr Zordas
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-12-02 20:28, Dr. Zordas wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-12-01 16:59, Jeremy Greystoke wrote:

Are they worth the hundreds of dollars they're currently getting on eBay? I can't answer that....

I can. NO. Simple as that. As I said, WAY over-hyped. People who pay silly amounts of money for the set will feel truly ripped-off, although they won't tell you this because the booklets are 'Amazing' and of 'Exceptional Quality'...

Well, that's your opinion on the matter. My opinion based on my experience is different.

Sure, if someone were to purchase the set on eBay and not bother to study actually what's in them, I'd say it'd be an awful waste of money.

But it'd be a waste of money at any price.

On the other hand, a performer who obtains the entire set -- as Brad is currently auctioning -- and reads, studies the pieces, and applies the thinking behind the tricks, he'll easily get his investment back.

Reading a book is not the same as studying it.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Thanks John,

But I have issue with anyone saying a book is of a certain value. I have bought books from which I have obtained pieces which I have become staples of my professional performances. That book is worth a great deal to me. Several hundred if not thousands of dollars.

So, I don't think any of us can speak for the value someone will receive from any potential resource. However, one can cite the number of items in a given text and how well thought out they seem to be. In the color series case, I think the quality ratio is extremely high and that there is a fine selection of workable material as well as concepts ready to be put to great use.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-12-02 23:03, truthteller wrote:
But I have issue with anyone saying a book is of a certain value.

That's the point I guess I unsuccessfully attempted to make.

I've written many, many times -- and I think it bears repeating -- that I have in my library far more tricks than I'll ever be able to perform in ten lifetimes. Tricks are not what I want.

I want to learn the process that went into creating certain tricks. I happen to find a great deal of value in studying the way Phil Goldstein built certain tricks. I especially enjoy studying a set of variations he's created on one trick.

I haven't found all magic writers teach me their process. His books do. And I'll stand by my suggestion that someone who takes the time to study the Color Series will find reasonable his investment.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
$ 310.00 was the final winning bid, and I think that's actually a bit on the low side. One auction for the set recently closed for $ 491.00, and I don't recall offhand what David Regal got for his set which he had Phil autograph with amusing comments.

I know I've certainly gotten $ 300-500 worth of use out of the material in the books, and John's comment above about enjoying Phil's thinking as much or more so than the effects themselves bears repeating.

The same holds true for me with regards to the opening essays found in the booklets that T. A. Waters released over a number of years (and which were reprinted in Mind, Myth, and Magick). They're quite thought-provoking, and indeed, are one of the most valuable parts of his writings.

And I'm curious about where the "over-hyped" claim mentioned above came from...certainly not from Mr. Goldstein. The books were all released with relatively little fanfare back in the late 70s and early 80s. The fact that they now command amazingly high prices on eBay is merely a result of market forces at work. Or at least, market forces as filtered through the eBay prism.

And the value (like beauty) is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Of course, should there ever be a release by Phil of all the material in one collected volume, this discussion will be rendered moot.

And I would definitely be in line to obtain a copy, if he approached the project like Burger did in Mastering the Art of Magic. I'd love to read what Phil thinks of the material now, 20-25 years later....

Jeremy
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
Truthteller

I hope you have kept a few copies of "The Dance" to sell on eBay, because this book is just GREAT and I hope for you that it'll reach such value.

Sincerely

Matt
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL