The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Encouraging feedback (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
That's true, Starr, for self-analysis you're trying to find the weaker points in your show. This is why glowing thank you letters aren't much use in that respect.
I would say the same for spoken critique, from a booker anyhow. I've only ever had parents come up and say how good it was or outline why they liked the show. I'm not perfect, I must make plenty of mistakes, I think that in a spoken critque any weaker points will be forgotten in comparison to all the good points and also I suppose people would be less likely to say your shortcomings to your face.
In a feedback form you could seperate everything into points and you might find out about one or two little things people aren't happy about. Surely they'd feel a lot happier about ticking a few 'averages' in a long list of 'fantastics'. In a form they can take home and is designed to make them think about every aspect of it.
George
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I've never used such a form, but I'd guess you'd want to break it down into sections.

For example, two broad categories may be the show itself, and the way you interacted with the booker. The latter category could address such things as response/reply times, organization, arrival at venue, and so on. I'll bet a lot of us get (or lose) business because of factors other than our actual show.

The show portion could contain such items as appropriateness of material, how well you relate to the kids, the kids response to the show, etc.

I suppose a third category would address appearnce. How did your props look, were you dressed appropriately for the venue, etc. Some people expect a magician to be in top hat and tails. Were they disappointed that I arrived in a colorful jacket? Who knows ...
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
A testemonial from a punter will only really say, yes he was good, A questionaire will get you the answer that the content and show in general was good or not so good. it wont pick up the finer points of your performance which you need to properly evaluate your show.

People are too polite to give an honest opinion, and will rarely critisize unless you were really bad, in which case they'd have told you on the day, and not paid you.

The best way to evaluate your show is by videoing it. That way you not only get to critique your own performance, but the video picks up audience reactions you sometimes miss yourself. It will pick up that bits that you didn't think went down well, really did, The microphone will pick up the kids reactions. It will also pick up on things that you thought were going to be great, but fell flat.

You'll know your on the right track once you get that first phone call starting either "My friend reccomended you" or "I saw you at"
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Er, er,

(no, keep out Tony; use your better judgement!)
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
It's not off-topic; Tricky Chris asked how to get written feedback. By offering insight into people's REASONS for writing, and how to INCREASE THE PROBABILITY that they will write *is* answering the question. Your suggestiont that "it will just happen" is pretty much useless. And I don't mean that to be an insult, as I value your input, just an observation that YOU were taking it off-topic.

Hi,
Sorry but you se4em to determined to cause an argument pulling us off topic. the question how do I get more feed back was honestly answered by me

"Improve your show! Your customers need to be thrilled with the show then they will send you letters of praise, they rearly do this if they are simply happy with your show or think you where good you need to have greatly exceeded their expectations.
VASTLY EXCEEEDING THEIR EXPECTATIONS = REFERALS, RECCOMENDS AND WORD OF MOUTH. without having to beg for them. "

which I believe to be a helpful and honest answer to the question, instead of you simply posting your solution you seem determined to try and put down others opinions simply because you dissagree

it is the arguing which is pulling off topic.

I agree with emazdad hardly anyone will fill an evaluation sheet out honestly and everyone will tell you after the show you where good. it is the repeat work, reccomends and unsolisited letters of praise that are the truest indication of the quality of your show.
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Just noticed "Tricky Chris" is from UK and in reply to interests? on his membership CV says "yes". Ah, a man after my own heart!

Has anyone mentioned having a website GUESTBOOK, and inviting people to call in after a show? You may even get them to add a photo or two, so their kids can look at themselves on the magician's website - wow!

Tony.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Looks like I touched a nerve with this one. I appologise to those people who state that this is an old topic - but I want fresh ideas, not last month/years.
To answer a few questions and put a few people straight. The feed back would be for my web site and leaflet/brochure - I would like constant new letters so that I can update regularly on the web.
In response to P.B. Jones response of "improve your show" - I'm sure my show plus every other entertainer's show needs improvement to a certain degree, but I feel my show as it stands is good enough to warrant worthy appraisal in the form of letters. I receive plenty of positive verbal responses (unsolicited) after my show, over the phone and "through the gravevine" to know that the show I perform is of a great entertainment. And like Starrpower states: many people are usualy too busy in their lifes to put paper to pen -some encouragement is required. A gentle prod!
When was the last time you sent a letter of thanks/appraisal for a service you received recently? ....Exactly!
Thanks to those who have contributed to this post! You know who you are!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
One way I get responses in written format is through the use of my Thank You Kit. This is a kit and gift that is given to the client after the show is over as my way of saying thank you for having me at your event.

The kit is made up of the following:
- Thank You Letter on my stationary thanking them for having me and telling them about my evaluation form.
- Evaluation form that is done in multiple choice with also lines for their own comments. I keep this simple and multiple choice makes it easy for them to want to respond back.
- SASE
- Business Cards in the envelope they can pass out to people.
- Gift of a box of candy of some sort

Everything gets wrapped together and held in place with a red ribbon. It is simple to produce and cost is very cheap.

But I have had GREAT responses from this and people generally love to send it back.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
VReality
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of VReality
Just a thought: Look at the geographical location of the people putting forth different views here.

I'm hearing statements like, "If your show is great, they will certainly write to tell you so", coming from the same person whose saying things like "People are too polite to offer their honest opinion."

Both of these statements make me think, "Not in THIS country." If I polled the next 50 people I ran into, I think I would be hard pressed to find even one who wrote even a single personal letter in the last 10 years. And let's not talk about whether or not they are too polite to offer their opinion.

- VR
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Woah, I think that is true, VR. We are all from different countries and thus each different method may work for each country/region/state/town/home, etc. Smile

But, isn't it great to hear different ways and opinions of how things work?

Philip and Clive's belief will work in UK but may not work for me in Singapore. Likewise, my belief and method may work in Singapore but not UK.

It's just 2 different cultures, though both countries are involved with each other about 50+ years ago. (Colonial times):P
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I really do not think that this is a country thing
Chris is from the UK yet he has difficulty getting unsolisited feed back, Wolflock is in Africa yet it fully booked without letters, whilst I get letters and have some samples posted on my site I have never actualy had anyone ask me for references in all my years of performing. I know plenty of performers in my area that market like crazy ask for referals and letters and would agree totaly with you.
it is just not my opinion or experience
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I think that's why I've never bothered Phil, no-one has ever asked me for any, therefore the conclusion is they are not really needed to generate work.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
... but apparently Chris does think they help generate work, so we should help him rather than simply give him reasons why they are not needed.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Ahh but that's only because he hasn't heard otherwise. If all he's ever heard is that you need them, then now he is learning something new,

1, they are nice to get, but you don't require them to get work.

2, If you do get them, one voluntary letter is more honest and worth 10 times more than a begged one.

3, If your show is good enough, it will generate enough work without them. On average there are say 25-30 kids at a party, each one has a birthday. If after the party the kids go home demanding mum books you for their party you should get at least one maybe two bookings from each party you do. Add to that the relatives and friends of the booker, and anyone who was present at the party telling their friends about you, plus the booker themselves re-booking you for next year, and all this adds up to lots of work coming in without massive marketing or begging for references.

That's how it works for Me, and Billy and I'd imagine it's the same for Phil and all those who have great kids shows and lots of work coming in. As Phil and the rest of us keep saying, the amount of work you get is governed by the quality of your show. Not how much marketing you do, or how many Testomonials you ask for.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
After three subjects and numerous posts, we may finally be getting somewhere. But I think you have made a lot of false assumptions with your statement.

You stated that "one voluntary letter is more honest and worth 10 times more than a begged one."

First , why more honest? I have *never* asked someone to falsely embelish a letter, but rather just put what they have told me into writing so it can last longer and work harder for me. Strike one.

Secondly, a request is a far cry from "begging." Strike two.

Finally, why should it be ten times more (more what?) than a requested letter? I don't get your point. More valid? More powerful? I don't think so. All that counts is the prospect is getting someone else's opinon of our program. YER OUT!

We are also not necessarily talking about birthday parties. I do library shows. Librarians don't routinely meet with one another; they may see or talk to each other once or twice a year. On occasion I'll get a comment like, "I heard you were at West End library last week. They said you had a very good program." But, this is usually after the fact, and not the catalyst for the booking.

However, if I can send out a mailer with a few testimonial comments or duplicated letters, I am helping this process along. They *still* might call the West End library to discuss this show -- but they may never have made the call if it weren't for the written testimonial to start with.

Now, how about we all shake hands and have a pint and a bit of fish and chips? (And that's all I know about England!)

P.S. I have said *far* too much on this subject. So, Phillip or Clive or anyone, you can have the last word!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Why more honest?

Hi,
because if someone freely writes a praise letter without being asked then they must have truly liked your show. once you ask you are like it or not applying pressure, when asked most people will give you such a letter and they are not going to say bad things. so to me it is begging and not so honest.

"We are also not necessarily talking about birthday parties."

me either Birthday parties are only a part of my business, schools talk I have done several shows for all the head teachers in my area (they have a head teacher christmas party) Businesses talk ,I know of several organisations where local business owners meet regularly in fact I belong to a few.
Phillip
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Thank you for booking _________________. It was a wonderful day for me.

Later, when your guests have left and the day has settled, I would appreciate it if you would take a few moments and fill in this feedback form. You will be helping to make magic the best that it can be!

Have you worked with a magician before?

What made you decide to use ________________?

What was your favourite part of the show?

Why did you like that part best?

If there was one suggestion for improvement what would it be?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

If you are interested in using a feedback form then feel free to trash, revise, suggest improvement, criticize the above post.

If you would never use a feedback form, so be it.
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
It is nice to get views on how different each country's ways are even when we do the same thing.
Thanks for explaining to me why those of you who need letters of recommendation, do that. It is appreciated. I asked that question out of curiousity, not out of wanting to put down anyone, or tell anyone that they are doing something wrong, or anything like that. Thank you all for taking it in that context and not in the context that causes bickering.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Encouraging feedback (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL