The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Notebook/Laptop computers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
So I was curious how many of you have
a Notebook/Laptop computer.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 4005CDS that
I bought 6+ years ago. Never had an issue
with it.

I just bought a new one. It’s an Averatec
6200 series. 2400 AMD 64 processor, 60 GHD,
DVD +/- RW/CDRW optical drive, wifi, 15.4"
widescreen, PowerNow technology.

I wanted a wide screen for working on mastering
and graphic design. I wanted an integrated
modem because I only have dial-up available
here, and integrated is better than a PCMCIA
card (Toshiba has that). I was caring so much
for the DVDRW, but it came with it. I also
wanted a larger than 40 GHD.

So far it’s beautiful! I can't believe how light
and thin it is. Well worth my money. I've saving
hard for it for 3 years.

Now I want mini-multi tracker. A little upgrade
for my project studio.

Always a little toy I want.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I've got a Dell Lattitude 366 - I got a great price on it and it gets the job done. The graphics are awful, so I've got to use the desktop for design, but I have some nifty speakers for the notebook. I listen to radio shows through it! Smile It's main use if checking email and surfing the net.
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
I have a Panasonic Toughbook 18. Great laptop, virtually indestructible.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I had a laptop. A Dell. We had a falling out!
Now I don't have a laptop! I have a pile of plastic and metal.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I recently bought this Dell Inspiron 5150 and it snmokes....not literally but it's very fast and has more storage than I'll ever use in this lifetime.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I can't afford a Laptop at the moment and I want one soooooooooo badly.
I envy everyone who has one (and I am not prone to envy).
Like Andy (Hi Andy, long time no chat) I want one to listen to Radio shows and to do my photo editing and burning my mp3 files onto.
I see more and more passengers on airlines using their laptops to watch DVD's and listening to music (much larger screen than those portable DVD players).
Some day my ship will come in and I will be among the happy laptopper's. Until then I am ENVIOUS of all of you.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
All I use is a Dell laptop (Inspiron 1100) Got rid of my lunky desktop, went wireless with internet and printer. I have the same memory and processor speed as my desktop with out the bulk, and much to my wife's dismay, I have more room on my desk for more magic..

Jeff
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Just got a new HP Pavilion ZD7260US.

17" widescreen (1660x1200) display, 3.2 MHz Pentium 4, CD & DVD burner.

Great for playing magic DVD's while keeping prying eyes away.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Two iBooks. I've been a MacHead since 1984.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I am going to hang on and get a PcTablet. about 1-2 years wait!
infoblast...
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/11/14/tablet.pc/
Take it to a meeting and colleagues will want to borrow it to doodle. Take it out in public and people will try not to stare, but they will. Microsoft's new tablet PC has the "wow" factor going for it.

I tried out Fujitsu's Stylistic, a flashy thin, silver and black pad about 8-by-10 inches big, complete with keyboard and docking station. It looks like a designer Etch A Sketch -- except you write on it with a stylus -- and people found it to be irresistibly stylish

Or from Sony...
http://www.esato.com/archive/t.php/t-74899
Sony VAIO U-Series Notebook Combines Power of Full-size PC with Portability of PDA

SAN DIEGO, Nov. 9, 2004 _ At a shade over 1 pound, Sony's new VAIO® U Ultra Portable PC, announced today, has the heart of a PC but the soul of an entertainer.

Doubling as a portable media player, this "pocketable" PC allows you to download entertainment content and enjoy it virtually anywhere you go. Integrated 802.11 b/g wireless LAN connects you to thousands of hotspots across the country and helps you stay in touch with the Internet, email and your favorite digital content download services.

Multiple input modes contribute to the PC's extreme versatility. Using the stylus and virtual keyboard on the unit's touch panel screen, you can compose email messages or navigate files even while standing up. Handwriting recognition software simplifies note-taking or annotating documents. Users can also quickly launch programs or execute common commands with thumb-controlled action buttons, or draft longer text files with the included foldout keyboard.
- Mark Twain
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I would love an i-book and also movie software to go with it!

Ellen
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Is the I-book an apple thing?
I don't like apple at all. Very poor company philosophy, very good marketing gurus!
- Mark Twain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've always heard that Apple laptops were very good. Oh, well.

This summer, I bought a Toshiba, before I knew much about laptops. By providence or coincidence, it came with Windows XP Professional (as opposed to XP Home). Saved me some bucks when I learned I needed Office Professional 2003, as I did not need to upgrade the OS!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Quote:
On 2004-12-07 22:27, Chessmann wrote:
I've always heard that Apple laptops were very good. Oh, well.

They are very good. Ask anyone who owns one.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
They are very good. Ask anyone who owns one.

You must mean. Ask anyone who was conned by slick marketing!
All Apple does is showcase the latest in superficial design. The actual guts and structure of the soft/hardware is very poor in comparison to the exterior design of their products.
The only time I advise ppl to go the apple route is when they only require a computer. When they don't need to aquire additional soft/hardware and are just going to use the computer for a simple set of tasks and don't want to get involved with computers too much.
The apple range are for ppl who don't want to fiddle too much and want a stable but limited base to work from.
This is how I differentiate the base units.
PC - ultimate flexibility for little cost. You can take a PC and make it do most anything for little money, many users and community support.
Apple - Closed system both hard/software, can only be fixed by Authorized apple dudes. inflexible for multitudes of applications, expensive to focus the unit to any application. poor support in the community.

Example: I automated 60% of a house with a PC and basic software and easy to obtain hardware. The same project with a Apple based system would have been obscene in cost.
PC cost = £5k
Apple = £13K

Apples secret motto - Its all in pretty icons and slick plastic.
- Mark Twain
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Partizan, joking right?

Poor support structure? The people who are die hard Mac fans haven't been "conned" as you put it. If a product is bad, people will stop buying it even with slick marketing. You can always sell poor products with good marketing but you can't win lifelong customers without a good product and great customer service.

Many people in technology industries like them because they are much more stable for graphics and video editing.

The faults you mention are true as far as hardware and software. That is also the reason why PC's can have so many problems. Often it is a 3rd party driver that can cause problems in a PC. If you buy directly from an electronics store (ie Best Buy) they come bundled with loads of junk software that slow up the system. That being said, here in the states, when you go to buy a program most times it is compatible for PC and Mac.

My opinion is that it is better to have specific hardware/software options available from one company that are guaranteed to work right out of the box than a multitude of options. Here is a little example in story form-

Quote:
"The box said "Plug and Play" (MAC invented this concept BTW) but when I plugged in my HP DVD burner into my DELL desktop my Lexmark printer/scanner/copier/fax stopped working. I updated its driver then my Intel camera had a conflict with the updated drivers and security pack. Nothing works so I have to pay a guy to come out and fix it.

Apple as a company are brilliant marketers but without a good product they would never have survived this long.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Commodore's Amiga system was the BEST computer on the market at the time but due to the attitude that commodore took (we are the best so we won't waste time trying to push it) it got very little support and now is based in Germany and as far as I know is doing ok.
Philips Corporation (formerly Advanced Technology Laboratories) Ultrasound division still uses the Amiga chipset in their high end Ultrasound cart systems for the 3D graphic's.
As most of us know, Beta was superior to VHS but the public is more concerned with flashy advertising and slick salespeople so the better system lost out to the lesser one.
Bottom line, the best is not always the most popular and when it comes to push and shove, popular will always win out.
Iven Smile

P.S. I do believe that the Apple system is more stable than Bill Gates Windows and I know that Linux is more stable than windows. And Bill Gates, please fix your memory leaks, OK?
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
As I said before about Macs, ask someone who owns one, not someone who enjoys bashing Apple.

For some reason, the topic of Mac v.s PC gets many PC users so emotionally charged that they can't see the obvious fact that Apple does indeed make good products. And often their opinions are based on what they read in PC trade pubs, not from actually using one.

I've worked with PCs as well as Macs, but I prefer the later. It's a personal preference, but that doesn't mean I think PCs are junk.

One telling thing I do know is that my brother who is a product-development manager for Hewlett-Packard bought a Mac for home use, despite the fact he can get PCs virtually free.

(You're right, Iven, the Amiga system was brilliant in its day. Absolute best for multimedia.)
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
I have a Dell Latitude and I am eying a Powerbook, but I am waiting for the G5 to get in them
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.."
Oscar Wilde
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
Got mine for college... scholarships are nice... Smile

--------

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion zd7000 [widescreen]

3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

1.0 gigabyte RAM

260.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity [60 gigabyte internal 7200 RPM hard drive, external 200 gigabyte 7200 RPM USB hard drvie]

HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N [CD-ROM drive]

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700 [Display adapter]

Desktop docking station with wireless mouse and keybord

---------
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Notebook/Laptop computers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL