The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rigid Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DirtBiker0025
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of DirtBiker0025
Can anyone tell me how to make the trick rope or actually PM me the answer? I know about Mark Wilson's book but I accidentally threw it away.

Does anybody know? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The rope mechanism is simple enough (and it's not in Mark Wilson's book, so don't worry). But making it will be a real pain. Since the rope only costs about $10, believe me, it's cheaper to buy it than make it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have several different versions of the Rigid Rope in my notes. Each has a different method of operation (secret). There is everything from a short length that goes rigid and has a paper plate balanced spinning on its end to a long length of rope that performs a mini Indian Rope Mystery (a la dancing cane and clever gimmick).

There is a clever version making the rounds right now that uses a fairly thick (maybe an inch) length (about a yard) of rope that hangs limp across the hands and will stiffen with a slight wave of the hand.

None of this stuff is rocket science. Simply ask yourself how you would make a rope go stiff and you are probably right! Invent your own version (or rediscover someone else’s version). None of these tricks are expensive. It would probably cost you as much to make your own (depending on the version).

I recommend that you do as Peter suggests and simply go buy the version that you like!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Peter

There is a version in Mark Wilson's book (p. 254), at least the big book. It may not be in the little one.

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
I would try and think if you could make one up yourself— it is not difficult to think how to make a rope go rigid and the effect can be great.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The one currently available from Empire Magic called "Rigid Rope" is good. (And inexpensive...I just bought a second hand one off of eBay for $1.50.)

I would like to know if anyone can tell me where I can obtain hanks of rope that match the thick rope used in Empire Magic's version of "Rigid Rope"? It's 5/8" thick rope. I want to be able to switch a non-gimmicked rope for the "Rigid Rope" and want the ropes to be exactly the same in appearance.

A thought occurs:

The gimmick from Empire's "Rigid Rope" might make a good Zombie gimmick or act as part of a "daylight seance" gimmick (sewed into the hem of a cloth).
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
374 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Get it in jbtv.co.uk

They sell it. A wonderful trick.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The best way to find a matching non-gimmicked rope to match your existing rigid rope is to buy a second one, open it up and replace the gimmick with a regular length of cord. This way both ropes will look exactly the same.

Has anyone tried putting weights on the end of the ropes to get rid of that annoying curl yet?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Quote:
On 2002-09-04 21:05, DirtBiker0025 wrote:
...I know about Mark Wilson's book but I accidentally threw it away...
Smile I feel your pain, I love that book. If I were you, I'd tell everyone my dog ate it or something, I'd hate to have to admit to accidentally throwing away such a great resource!

I've tried making one, and Peter's right, it's a real pain. I spent a lot of money trying variations on the gimmick only to come up with something that doesn't work as well as most of the marketed ones. Finally I just went out and bought one.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11972 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Think I will bid on this little wonder on Ebay. Smile
maniac
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga
65 Posts

Profile of maniac
I just won an Empire Rigid Rope on ebay for $0.01, this is my best auction ever. At this price, I am giving up on Mark Wilson's Rigid Rope. I tried three different types of rope, still did not work for me.

UPDATE

Got my new Rigid Rope yesterday, not quite what I expected. It looks good and I will use it.

Think that I am going to NOT give up Mark Wilson's version, becaues it's quite a different effect.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Speaking of the Mark Wilson version, has anyone else had the anguish of having the *thing* get caught halfway down the rope due to a snag? I can't seem to get past that - any pointers from y'all on the preparation?
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Quote:
...has anyone else had the anguish of having the *thing* get caught halfway down the rope due to a snag?

I couldn't get past that either when I first played with his method. I haven't revisited it for a long time. Perhaps it's time I tried.

Using a suitable material for the "thing" may help. Something that could be made less snag-prone.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I'm wondering about doing something to round out the "thing" ends... the clippers usually leave a sharp bit on there... Perhaps that'll solve the problem.

Back to the lab. Where's my smock!

(Oh, and Payne - congrats on your GG Cameo!)
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11972 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I got the same one off Ebay. I pull mine out of a square circle for the finale of my kids shows.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I'm not impressed with this rigid rope. t_ _ _ m _ _ _ _ _ _ inside the rope. So obvious! It may talk too.

Posted: Aug 13, 2004 2:39am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry got confused with the name.

It was the Obedient Rope that has the T_ _ _ M inside that talks.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Mplegare: Have you solved the problem yet with the "THING" getting caught in the middle of the Mark Wilson rigid rope version?

You wrote " I'm wondering about doing something to round out the "thing" ends... the clippers usually leave a sharp bit on there... Perhaps that'll solve the problem.

Back to the lab. Where's my smock! "

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I had trouble with the Wilson version too. I think that if you get some five minute epoxy, and put a nice round dollop on the end of the item that is snagging, you will be able to tell if the problem is solvable. Such a glue dollop will be very smooth with no edges.

Also, an original version of this, in the 60's was the one used by fedco. It worked much like the breakaway wand, only hidden in the rope sheath. The magic of John Fedko has how to make this. It is okay, not great in my view.
quack
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
991 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Possibly some are referring to the Indian made "Stiff Rope" that's advertised everywhere. I've been to India a couple of times in the past few years and have bought a few while there. Last time I paid about $2.00Us for one. I've had a couple of them break on me. Hard to fix in my opinion due to the very simple construction. The end if easy enough to fix if an end piece snaps off. (Hint: don't hold the rope close to the end during performance. A kid grabbed one of my table and bent it backwards and broke a clip in the middle)

I also have the Mark Wilson book, and to be honest I never really could imagine how that method would work.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I have a commercially bought rigid rope (can't remember who made it) I've had it for years and have taken it on the road throughout Australia and it has lasted up really well, while nearly everything else has needed to be replaced.

I suggest going into your local dealer and simply purchasing one of those.

I do know of a method of making a stiff rope but once again I can't remember how I came by the information so I'm hesitant to post it here.

Cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rigid Rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL