The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lifts - how do "you" do yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I’ve been toying with double lifts ever since I started magic and still I am not sure which one to use.

the ’Blaine’ style double lift (for want of a better term) is probably the most convincing but the most difficult to pull off.

I suppose I just don’t like having to get pinky breaks all the time, that’s all.

thoughts?

comments?

suggestions?

Smile
Hello.
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
If you want a good overview of traditional approaches and current trends, Oz Pearlman spends a certain portion of his lecture on double lifts. I personally believe that the single lift and the double lift should have the same motion.
tootall
View Profile
Regular user
Central FL
105 Posts

Profile of tootall
Quote:
the ’Blaine’ style double lift (for want of a better term) is probably the most convincing but the most difficult to pull off.

I got the Greg Wilson dvd double take. It gives great looks and instructions on double lifts. The DL's I use vary from moment to moment (curry, crook, dingle, etc. etc.). The one I am trying to perfect right now is Bro. John Hamman's no get ready double lift.

What exactly is it that you are having difficulty with the "Blaine" DL? This lift is actually a mix between the Dingle Double and the Nash's knockout double. I know that Tarquin Churchwell is the one that showed Blaine this particular DL.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I usually just go with the basic DL (with a break) because it looks the most natural to me, and I don't really see the point of making it overly difficult since it's a pretty basic move that gets used a lot.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
The Greg Wilson video is great, it gives a great overview on the move and has some great magic included with the tape. Essie, I agree, kind of... I have been trying some different things and the justification of turning over a card does not seem to click when performing with a basic DL. When using the subtleties in more difficult DL’s the psychology seems to be more effective when I am performing.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
That's true, I just meant to say that I'd usually prefer to have a simple move that I can get nearly perfect every time than having a small possibility of screwing up with a harder variation, unless there's a good reason to do a harder version in the context of an effect. Also, I had forgotton that the DL I do is slightly different than the basic DL that I've seen most other people do, so my previous logic doesn't quite work as well as I thought it did ;-)
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
cramias
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cramias
Nash Knockout Double is my choice. No get ready and, from having practiced ad infinitum, I can do it consistently. Unless I am working with a small packet of cards, in which case I use the "small packet DL" taught in Card College.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Strike double is great ,
multiple lift can be a far overused sleight in my opinion ,
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1523 Posts

Profile of Cain
I remember seeing a trick once, long ago, and wondering, "how did he do that?" I later deduced the conjurer must have been lifting two cards as one, and then I set out to do the same. I replicated the move by independently doing what is known as a thumb count. I later upgraded to the pinky count, although I will still occasionally do a thumb count. I have never felt compelled in the slightist (no pun intended) to learn any other method. Even with this basic method there are still different ways on how to do a double lift. I can hold the cards and show them. I can just flip them over on to the deck. I can show them by pivoting the two as one on the flesy part beneath my thumb.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17306 Posts

Profile of joseph
I use the one Daryl teaches on his Ambitious Card video....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
jalal12321
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of jalal12321
I am currently trying to master the double lift in lee ashers diving bourd double (the non acrobatic version) because that is no get ready but I get a break for it because I cant seem to lift the top two cards with my thumb.anyway this DL looks cool because it just seems to snap to the side. the only bad thing about this in my opinion is that I would never turnover a single in this way.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I use the strike double because it looks exactly the same as when I turn only one card over.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 09:12, jalal12321 wrote:

the only bad thing about this in my opinion is that I would never turnover a single in this way.

Start turning over single cards like that as well then! Smile Smile
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I use strike double all the time, serves me well

Probably Sanvert's Double Lift worth a look. It's a fancy one. very convincing double
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Pattern 1
If I have a good reason to take the top card mentioning something and replace it of top of the deck, I use Dai Vernon's Double Lift described in Dai Vernon Book of Magic.

Pattern 2
If I can get rid of audience's attention from left hand, I do get ready of making break under second card and transfer the break to left thunb break. Then I do Altman Trap type Pudh Off. (There are many ways to turn the pushed off cards).

Pattern 3
If I must get audiences' attention to the deck before starting any parts of Double Lift, I use my variation of Daley's Spontaneous Double Lift. (My variation is to Push Off top card slightly before right hand approaches to lower right corner of the deck).

Pattern 4
If it is not unnatural to necktie the deck, I do Double Lift using Strike Second Deal technique. (Do you call this type 'Strike Double Lift? I hope someone can clarify this).

Pattern 5
If I am perfomring on stage, or with a little distant from audience, I Push Off top card half of the width and align the seocnd card below the top card when I turn the cards to show the face to audience.

Pattern 6
In most of other situations, I use modified Vernon Double Lift, which is to make break in sqauring deck motion and proceed to turn the double without delay.

Hideo Kato
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 02:40, Essie wrote:
That's true, I just meant to say that I'd usually prefer to have a simple move that I can get nearly perfect every time than having a small possibility of screwing up with a harder variation, unless there's a good reason to do a harder version in the context of an effect.

I would say that about 30% of the time, there is a very good reason for me to do a double lift that doesn't require a get-ready. For that reason I do a strike double (also known as Jacob Daley's Instantaneous DL) because it's easy, reliable, and looks exactly like I normally turn a single card over anyway. If for some reason it's easy to get a break without being detected, it doesn't change anything- it's just icing on the cake. Another advantage of the strike technique is that it's almost as easy to do a triple as a double, again without any need for a get-ready.

In light of these facts, I would recommend just the opposite of what you are saying: since the "harder" variation of the DL (in this case the strike DL) is after all not very hard at all, and you can do it in virtually ANY situation, there really is no reason to learn any "easier" versions of the DL.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 09:24, NeoMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 09:12, jalal12321 wrote:

the only bad thing about this in my opinion is that I would never turnover a single in this way.

Start turning over single cards like that as well then! Smile Smile

That would be the worst of both worlds then, wouldn't it? Not only your DLs, but also your singles look weird also. No thanks....
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
I am practising lee ashers increadible diving board double lift. I love it. and if you want to see one of the smoothest or probably the smoothest dl of all times, go and watch doc eason's bar magic vol.1 and check his dl out. just beautiful.

do you mean with blaines dl: the push off?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 10:33, scorch wrote:

That would be the worst of both worlds then, wouldn't it? Not only your DLs, but also your singles look weird also. No thanks....

I guess what's more logical is to make them look different at all costs!... no thanks! Smile
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm a fan of Jacob Daley's 'Instantaneous DL', which is actually a double turnover, and use this most times but it depends on the routine.
I'll even pick up the card(s) by the short ends at times when I'm not supposed to see the face.
I get ready in a couple of different ways, again depending on what routine I'm doing and who for.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lifts - how do "you" do yours? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL