The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lifts - how do "you" do yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
How about doing a pinky count of 50 cards from the bottom, and taking what's left. Smile
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kaigan
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of kaigan
I usually use the first DL on Wilson's Double Take, despite his assurance on that video that it's extremely basic and you should learn one of the "better ones" once you're able. I guess it would be called a thumb count DL, as someone posted above, but I'm not sure if that's really the name. There's no get ready, it's like a strike DL but with your thumb instead of your index finger, and you flip the card over lengthwise instead of "like a book".

I used to use the push off, but discovered that the one I do now best duplicates the way that most laymen I have run into turn the top card of the deck over. Mind, it's not overly common for a layman to turn over a card and leave it on the deck - usually the card is dealt to the table or something, in which case a push off may be great (typical stud deal). However, I've been satisfied switching from the push off to this basic DL.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 14:08, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
How about doing a pinky count of 50 cards from the bottom, and taking what's left. Smile

Hehe, that would be a surefire dl I guess Smile Sankey also teaches a great dl somewhere with some chocolat cream to get 2 cards stick together perfectly Smile
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 19:15, Memory-Jah wrote:
Quote:

Hehe, that would be a surefire dl I guess Smile Sankey also teaches a great dl somewhere with some chocolat cream to get 2 cards stick together perfectly Smile

I tried that and it worked very well. Except the specs saw a bit of brown and acused me of marking the cards.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 10:31, scorch wrote:
For that reason I do a strike double (also known as Jacob Daley's Instantaneous DL) because it's easy, reliable, and looks exactly like I normally turn a single card over anyway.

Thanks for clarifying that Instantaneous DL is also called as Strike Double.

Maybe the word 'Strike' means lifting action of double cards at lower right corner. If so, I don't like that lifting or striking action. Although that lifting action is not big, it is visible to audience telltaling you are doing something. I think there are several ways to solve this problem.

Hideo Kato
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Kato-san, I'm not sure what you are referring to. By "lifting action," when I do the strike DL, I do lift the double from the inner right corner of the card. But that is how I would normally lift single cards anyway. The strike DL looks no different. Literally the only thing that is visibly different is that you are beveling the deck a little with your left thumb. But that is so natural and subtle that I don't think it can be considered a weakness or discrepancy. The lift of the cards themselves is essentially instantaneous and is not a telltale hint of anything, at least when performed correctly.

However, I have seen a few magicians who don't do the strike DL very well (the video of Glenn Bishop's ACR on his website comes to mind), and they indeed pause a little while feeling the edges of the cards with their right index finger. It's a bad habit that makes it pretty obvious that something fishy is going on. But I think that is a matter of poor execution, and not the fault of the move itself.

Actually, in practice, I think the strike DL and push-off DL can almost become one and the same. The beveling motion of the strike DL is very closely related to the thumbing motion of the push-off DL. When I do the strike DL, I am concentrating a little more on the feel of the double (or triple) as I take it up with my right fingers, but I'm also doing some push-off work with my left thumb, which really is just a follow-through motion as I bevel the top of the deck over. Maybe this is what you mean by "several ways to solve this problem." Anyway, this is just what is most natural for me. And again it's exactly how I have turned over a single cards - using both my left thumb to push off and my right fingers to lift - even before I learned any card magic.
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
I jsut do a quick pinky count before I do the multiple turnover. It's uber natural, and works for triples/quadruples as well.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Scorch-san, I believe you are already adding something to Instantaneous DL which was not explained in original writing in Stars of Magic.

A slight beveling of deck is one of somethings.
Pushing off inner right corner of top two cards (not too much) is one of something.
Using middle finger instead of fore finger is one of somethings. (If you use this, beveling is not necessary).

I agree with you that Instantaneous DL is one of best DLs provided done with those somethings. If it is done as described in Stars of Magic, I don't think it is a natural DL.

Hideo Kato
mrnavyblue
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mrnavyblue
I used to riffle from the middle upwards till I got 2 cards then break, but after watching I think daryls ambitious card video I just push over 2 cards get a finger break then turn them over from the bottom of the break,

after that I turn them face up on the deck and make sure they are always squared, then I basically repeat the same process to turn them back down. I've probley just described daryls version sub contiously but that is how I do it!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I like the Daryl's version of DL and I first learned it, I did it with my eyes closed until it's 100% accurate. Now I have no worry or anxiety about it as I'm on auto pilot.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Greg Hues
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
143 Posts

Profile of Greg Hues
My workhorse double lift is R. Paul Wilson's Ultra-Natural Double lift. And my for absolute emergencies, due to sticky cards or any other situation that might make the UNDL nearly impossible, I use the Pinch-hit DL from the same eBook.
I think it is titled Double Your Pleasure, and is like $5 from Mr. Wilson's site.
Regards,

Greg Hues
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I believe that in Le Paul's handling of the Strike Double he advocates contacting the double at the lower right corner, then sliding the finger along the edges of the two cards up toward the top right and then turning the double over. If anyone has Le Paul's Card Magic book to hand perhaps they can confirm this.

If anything this method - which I use occasionally - allows you to make sure the double is fully square before flipping it over. Also, if you mistakenly pick up a triple instead of a double you have some time to drop the extra card as you run the finger along.

For the "standard" Strike/Hit Double then Dai Vernon's advice in Revelations is key... have the "striking" finger bent whilst masking the strike by having the thumb on the back of the top card. On the Revelations DVD Steve Freeman adds that this gives the impression you are merely drawing the top card off the deck with the thumb. Including the thumb in the action is natural as everyone around the table seemed to conclude.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:

Not so far-fetched, actually! Do a pinky count of the TOP two cards and pick up your break that way - it is an interesting method. The tough part is keeping the card(s) from "Popping" up at the right rear corner - use a light touch...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
That's actually what I do, Paul. Many people thumb count, and with the right attention management that's fine. But even when they pop, the pinky count is very hard to see from the front. It took a year to build up the muscles, but it's one of the most useful sleights I do. Thanks for seeing the pearl in my oyster of a comment.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Emmanuel
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
43 Posts

Profile of Emmanuel
I have this interesting double lift method...but its a bit flourishy... I don't know who is the inventor of this DL technique but I saw one of my magician friends did it once, then I did not ask him how did he do that, and so I tried on my own to achieve similar method. Here is the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiStojCYg9I there is no need to view the whole video, only the first 5 seconds will do as I was using the DL method that I mentioned. Although in the video here I am still not that good with the DL as I have just figured out and recorded, the method is quite easy and will have more confident of handling 2 or more cards. When turn the card face up, there is no need for a pinky break, of course, to turn it face down again, then just do another thumb count and instantly turn it face down again.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
The dl is not bad emmanuel, but the grabbing of the card(s) should be more faster and not so suspicous. if you get to manage an instant grab of the cards it is very nice, but otherwise it looks like if you are trying to get a special anmount of cards.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Jagy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Jagy
The basic question on double lifts is just one (but a big one):

do you wanna have a DL that looks natural, like everybode would turn over a card?
or do you wanna habe a DL, that looks fancy, but "emphasizes" singleness?

the basic arguments are:
- "if you have a natural DL, you have no need in emphasizing singleness"
- "we are magicians and we are supposed to do fancy things, so people wont get skeptic if we turn cards over in a fancy way"

personally, if I got a pinky break, I just do the old vernon-style DL and the good ol' book-fashion-like turnover, if I have no pinky-break, I do the dr.-daley strike-second with the "vernon-touch", so that it looks natural.

if you are in more fancy style, you could use for example larry jennings snap-double, the DL Blaine uses, or lee ashers diving-board-double, or that one ellusionist teaches.

both can go well. the answer is the never satisfying truth: it depends on your personality when you perform. but if you won't do the fancy-style DL, either if you don't want or don't can, you're for sure in good company with the natural looking DL
Emmanuel
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
43 Posts

Profile of Emmanuel
Yes..I agree...DL, its a personal preferences. And its better to be equipped with 2 or 3 methods or more to do DL and master it so to have a random DL technique is a best thing as it represents your weapon of doing DL.
SMorris Magic
View Profile
New user
Manchester, England
51 Posts

Profile of SMorris Magic
Kruel,

Many thanks for bringing up 'R. Paul Wilson's Ultra-Natural Double lift'! This is precisely the type of DL that I was looking for as the others under my repotoire is slightly flourishy and doesn't match well. Many thanks.

Regards,
Stephen
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I normally use the strike double. If the cards are warping a little and I'm having a problem, I use Steranko's simplex double lift from his book. It mimics the strike double pretty well. I had used it for years and it sort of evolved into the strike method.

I use 2 different replacements, if I'm feeling really flourishy, I'll use the Bernard Bilis' electric double lift. (Yes, I do it with single cards too.) And if angles are good, I'll do the Tamariz replacement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lifts - how do "you" do yours? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL