The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lifts - how do "you" do yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-06-26 11:50, NeoMagic wrote:
I believe that in Le Paul's handling of the Strike Double he advocates contacting the double at the lower right corner, then sliding the finger along the edges of the two cards up toward the top right and then turning the double over. If anyone has Le Paul's Card Magic book to hand perhaps they can confirm this.

If anything this method - which I use occasionally - allows you to make sure the double is fully square before flipping it over. Also, if you mistakenly pick up a triple instead of a double you have some time to drop the extra card as you run the finger along.
I do indeed have the LePaul book and the description you give is correct and it is the method that I prefer to use most of the time. I learned Harry Lorayne's method (CUCM ACR) early in my sojourn and I find that it still serves the purpose. Both techniques require a beveling of the deck to facilitate the move. Smile

<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
I usually use Strike double, and the Tamariz subtlety for the turn over. But if I'm nervous, I usually use pinky count.
lxx_33
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of lxx_33
I like greg wilson's dubble take dvd. It shows different methodes.
I personally like to bevel the deck and do the just by feel methode. Just the way most people wil turn a card.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Strike doubles are the method I like to use cause they look natural and you can easily get triples and such by feel.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-06-27 09:32, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
That's actually what I do, Paul. Many people thumb count, and with the right attention management that's fine. But even when they pop, the pinky count is very hard to see from the front. It took a year to build up the muscles, but it's one of the most useful sleights I do. Thanks for seeing the pearl in my oyster of a comment.

Josh, thanks for shaaring the time it took you, I have been trying to get competent at the pinky count, and it's been a sslllooooooowwwwwwww process.

I try not to do too many tricks using the DL, I think it's one of the most over-used (and overexposed) moves in magic
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You're welcome. Even Ortiz (in At The Card Table) says to give it a year. Very worth while time spent.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Why would someone go through the archives to find a topic (on double lifts of all things) started in 2001 (and hasn't been responded to in almost a year) and start posting again?

This place is whacky!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
FreefallFool
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of FreefallFool
As a new user maybe lxx_33 didn't have the confidence to jump straight into a current thread, so he chose a topic to which he felt he could contribute eg. Greg Wilson's DVD...

Just my theory. Feel free to respond lxx_33 if I am completely wrong...

Back to the topic, I simply bevel the deck and thumb off two cards. Comment as appropriate for the effect then drop them back down on the pack. It works for me, but I'm acknowledge that I should learn a few more methods...
Smile It's not how far you fall, it's how you land... Smile
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
I'm glad lxx_33 dug up this very resourceful topic, I ran through this thread this morning and learnt a great deal, I do the strike and thought I was all alone after reading some strike flaming on other threads Smile

Nice find!

Jason.
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
If you take a look at Steve Bedwell's booklet titled, "Thick Schtick!" - you'll find a cool way of doing a double lift that's similar to a strike double, but there is absolutely NO get ready and it's an instantaneous turn over.

Rudy
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
If you take a look at Steve Bedwell's booklet titled, "Thick Schtick!" - you'll find a cool way of doing a double lift that's similar to a strike double, but there is absolutely NO get ready and it's an instantaneous turn over.

Rudy
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
KRZ4KRDz mentioned the first double lift method I ever published. It was basically for beginners, but I still use it occasionally. The only thing is - I did NOT say to bevel the deck. That's not necessary.

For a couple of more sophisticated methods, you might check out The Kick Double Lift and The Flip-Up Double Lift. (I Don't dare mention in which of my books they are for fear of a lot of bull**** about me plugging, etc.) There's also a very interesting way of ending a double lift and letting it be seen clearly that you're handling ONE card. I published it somewhere. I use my Ultra Move quite often IN PLACE of a double lift. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
I kinda learned my DL before I had any books to teach it and I just went with that for the longest time. I hold the deck in mech. grip and use that thumb to riffle off two cards as the other hand comes over for cover and turns over the card(s). For the longest time I thought that's what people were referring to as a thumb count DL, but then I found out from another source that is when the opposite thumb does work at the back of the deck. Does anyone know what the double I've been using is called? In any case though, I still use that, but I've been migrating to the standard Daley Strike double. I'm just still not entirely confident in getting 2 every time.
jalal12321
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of jalal12321
My standard double is just a regular Strike double lift, but recently having come up with my own method, I've been using that. I've been told that my method was used by Vernon before he realised he could squarely push off two cards as one, ala The Vernon Double lift. My method is kind off a cross between a non-acrobatic Diving Board double and a Vernon Double. I like it since it looks the same as how must lay man turn over cards, by just thumbing off the top card, also it's almost exactly how I turn over singles.
erodoeht
View Profile
New user
Adelaide, South Australia
45 Posts

Profile of erodoeht
I personally use Daryl's DL as per his ACR video.
However I have been switching over to Ortiz's pinky count.
It kind of makes things simpler.
Just wondering, does anyone here do diving board doubles?
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
823 Posts

Profile of Maestro
It may be basic, but I just use one of the DL's taught in card college... not the most basic one, but the one in which your forefinger is in contact with the front of the cards the whole time.

It requires a pinky break, but once you have that there's no risk of anything going wrong.
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
I do not know is this interesting.

I do not like standart DL, because not important how you do it, always you move right hand to deck on left hand and do something with "first" card.

So, I invent my personal DL what possible call "Double lift from the table by one hand". I put deck on the table and begin talk. Time after I move only one right hand and take "top" card. I show it to some of magicians and nobody can suppose this is DL. I talk with Tonny Van Rhee and he show me his DL. After this we long time discuss who is more crazy.

Apologize if this is not interesting or somebody invent it before.

Oleg Stepanov
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
magicnutuk
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of magicnutuk
Wow, reading about doubles is like the return of an old freind. Gary Oulet has a great DL called The Angel Pivot in close up illusions. This is very natural. Ask a few 'ordinary folk' to turn over the top card of a deck whilst they hold it. I find most of them approach the deck from behind palm down, fingers on top of the deck, then they lift the top card with the thumb and turn over. They almost never do this from the side of the deck.
You do however need to find ordinary folk that don't run away every time you bring out a deck of cards. lol
mikaelmrotek
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of mikaelmrotek
Strike double I bend my cards enough that I just keep the double flush with the deck and get another break for the second turn over
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-04-09 12:47, Nordatrax wrote:
Why would someone go through the archives to find a topic (on double lifts of all things) started in 2001 (and hasn't been responded to in almost a year) and start posting again?

This place is whacky!

New users are always being told to use the search for old posts on the topics they are looking for, and I guess lxx_33 did exactly that, and found a thread that he was interested in contributing to. That's the whole point of saving archives.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lifts - how do "you" do yours? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL