The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Our magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gpharand
View Profile
New user
Canada
45 Posts

Profile of gpharand
Hi everyone,

I was looking for a copy of Our Magic by Maskelyne. I found a copy on E-Bay for over $250 US. Is this a reasonable price for this book? And is it worth it? I'm not new to magic but my interest has been rekindled. Please let me know if I can find it else where for cheaper. Thanks.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I just found it as an ebook for like 9 bucks on lybrary.com

You can forward the difference to me if you want -- and yes I do take paypal Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
If you just want to read it you can find cheaper later editions, or as bigchuck says buy an ebook version.

The only reason I can think for that high price is that it is a first edition collector's are bidding on, otherwise it is not hard to find. Magic Books By Post may stock a later version printed by Supreme Magic.

Paul.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
It's a great book, but very easy to find. If it is a first edition, it may be worth the money, but only to a serious book collector.

Basically, it is two books: one by Maskelyn and the other by David Devant. They ran Egyptian Hall and St. Georges Hall in England during the early 20th century. At the time, this was the place to be if you were a magician. Maskelyn talks about magic and theatrical theory and Devant applies the theory to specific routines.

I consider this one of the primary magic books to be read by a serious student. Don't miss it.

Thanks,
Richard
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
Outstanding book, but $250 is incredibly steep, unless as a collector's peice.

Rtgreen was correct when he said its incredibly easy to find new copies. I've seen them at many shops for about $45. Or you can go the ebook way for $9. I perfer having a hard copy so I can highlight and put in notes.
gpharand
View Profile
New user
Canada
45 Posts

Profile of gpharand
Thanks everyone.

Guy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Our magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL