The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Morrissey Cups: how do they really look like? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fede08
View Profile
New user
Italy
5 Posts

Profile of fede08
Hi,
I am considering upgrading my aluminium Uday cups to a set of Copper Morrissey Small (Chop Cup combo). Uday cups are too light and can't take nice loads, not beacause of opening size (accettable) but because of their low "shoulder" (I think).

I can't understand how the Morrissey really look like: in some pictures such they look very "straight" and I really dislike that shape, in others they look more classical, more rounded towards the top. I mad a Google Image search "morrissey cups" and the result page is also confusing. If you try it ouyt, you'll see those sold at "magictricks.co.uk" that look nice, but if I look on the the Morrissey Web site they look different. Again in the Bill Palmer Cups museum images, you'll find the straight one (ugly, IMHO) and the other one that are said to be "early" ones; but this latest model looks more similar to those sold in the aforementioned shop.

Putting all this info together, I am really confused. I now have the suspect that the Chop Cup Combo ones are more straight, while the Cups only set look more rounded and defintely nicer.

I am sorry, I know it may be trivial for the magic effect itself, but I found cups and balls so a beautiful item, that I am really influenced by how they really look like. And being still a beginner, I don't have too much money to invest.. :-(

Last, I can't easily see and compare them here in Italy, that's why I am posting! (and also the Café search is currently not available..)

thanks a lot for your attention, I'll appreciate any opinion.
Federico.
Federico, Italy
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've owned a set of morrissey combo cups for a number of years now. Unless they changed the shape, the cups are rounded and can take a decent load.

If you are going to get the combo set, however, be sure to get an extra set of regular balls. This will allow you to perform many more routines without the necessity of keeping track of everything.

The only thing I didn't really understand from your post is why you would consider getting the small cups if you are concerned about load problems?
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Morrissey's older cups were rounded. Their newer ones are straighter.

You might consider the combo set from Bazar de Magia. Those are actually based on the old Morrissey design.

The final load size is not determined as much by the shoulder as by the tangent of the curve of the top of the cup versus the size of the load.

An Uday cup will generally take a lacrosse ball. It's a knockoff of the Rings and Things Monti cup.

But they are cheap and thin. The Bazar cups are a bit nicer.

If you want to see what the Morrissey cups actually look like, go to their web site. http://www.morrisseymagic.com
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fede08
View Profile
New user
Italy
5 Posts

Profile of fede08
Hi, thanks a lot for the quick replies, it's always a pleasure posting here.

I was considering the small ones because Morrissey website (http://www.morrisseymagic.com/morrissey_closeup1.htm)states: " Will hold the same size final load ball" ; in M. Ammar vol. 1 DVD about cups and balls, I learnt that shorter cups are more deceptive: the more similar the size of the cup is to the load size, the more amazing it will look in spectators' mind.

Photos in Morrissey's website were not very good quality, that's why I was left with some doubts. Also, some magic shops (e.g. themagicwarehouse.com) contradict what the producer say about the final load, indicating a diameter 0,5" smaller about the Morrissey small size cups compared to their larger counterpart! Anyway I trust the producer's site which say the opposite (same diam., only shorter height, same load).

I was also considering Paul Fox style from Ebay, but I prefer copper than brass, and, also, I was wishing a combo set.

I'll throw a final question: any cups in this price range will hold tennis balls? (e.g. Bazar the magia?)

Federico
Federico, Italy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are confusing models of cups. The new Morrissey cups are different from the old ones. The older ones were larger in diameter, and they had the rounded top.

They have two size of new ones, a tall one and a short one.

The Bazar cups will not take a tennis ball; however, there are some "pet toys" that are about 1 mm smaller in diameter than a tennis ball. They look like tennis balls and will fit in the Bazar cups.

The least expensive cup that will take a tennis ball consistently is the Phoenix cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Morrissey Cups: how do they really look like? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL