The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Book Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I am interested in making a realistic looking book box, preferibly leather bound. Does anybody have experience with this type of prop, or sources for directions and the materials.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
http://home.tiscali.dk/8x061259/about%20books.htm

This has some instructions about the entire process of book making of which you might use some info to create the hardcover.

You can also take an existing book, glue up and cut out the middle of the book creating a pocket. Then you can simply attach a hasp if you wish and Bob's your uncle. That is the most authentic looking book box.

http://familycrafts.about.com/library/pr......safe.htm

See this for a method
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Alchimest,

I found a nice looking book box on a Things Remembered discount shelf. I have also found them in craft stores and also found a wooden one in a home decor store.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I had a fellow at the Texas Renaissance Festival make me a really nice HUGE book box. The cover is padded, the corners are done in a contrasting color of leahter, as is the hubbed spine.

The "pages" were done with a florentining tool. He even simulated the signatures and added a bookmark.

However, this wasn't the first one I had. If you find a big photo album that you like, you can make a box to fit inside it. The rest of it is pretty easy. Also some postage stamp collecting albums work well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was so much information on book binding.
Bill
What you are describing is what I had in mind. When you mentioned ''The "pages" were done with a florentining tool", I don't know what a florentining tool is. Is there physical texture to a 'box' to create the apparence of pages, or is this simply (or not so simply) a (faux) painted flat surface.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Book Boxes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL