The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Glass disk for Tarbell's Dissolving Coin? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
This has probably been answered before but the search system is down. Where can we get a glass disk that's used in the trick?
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
You can probably go to the local Walmart and buy a Flashlight which will have a lens that will work.
Magic is fun!!!
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
The problem with those ( flashlight lenses) is that they tend to be plastic and don't sink and stick the way they need to..
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Try to find a really old Mom and Pop type Hardware store (pretty hard these days since Wal-Mart has pretty much killed them all) and see if they have any old stock replacement flashlight lenses. Barring that go to a really good glass shop and see if they will cut you some. Old Magic sets on E-bay will often come with one as well.
You can still get this trick in slum magic sets but these days it too comes with a plastic disk which won't function properly.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
A few suggestions.

A glass cutter and a piece of glass. Then buff down the sharper edges.

Fiberglass, or plexiglass.

I also got some out of some old magic sets.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Many well stocked hardware stores carry an array of replacement lenses for flashlights. Some are glass. You might try rummage sales for an old flashlight of yesteryear. If you want an online source, try Flashlightlens.com or zbattery.com under their maglite parts replacement section. Both carry glass lenses. If you are really desperate I suppose you could go to a camera store and get a UV filter and try pulling off the metal ring but that's a lot of work and expense for a vanishing fifty cent trick.

Frank Tougas

While double posting is a no no I realize I can no longer edit posts so ta heck wit da rulez. Many drug stores carry reading glasses on racks. Find a "granny" type pair with round lenses and you have your disk with a disk to spare.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I went to a glass store. The kind of store that fixes windows. Every city has one. They had a nice cutter and made me many coin size disks. They are not quite as thin as the kind you can buy in a magic shop, or as thin as a flashlight lens, but with the right glass they worked very well for me! Also felt like the real coin under the handkerchief, and made a good "clink"

PM your mailing address, I'll send you some. If you like them, you can't beat the price (free)
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
I found one at a science surplus store.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I know this is old, but I wonder if anyone's found anything new regarding this.

I'm looking for a glass disk about the size of a quarter, or a half dollar.

Thanks
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I spent a good long time on this.

First, a flashlight cover won't work because a) they are made of plastic and so very light and won't sink to the bottom with the right noise; and b) they are too thin and don't feel like a coin; and c) it's hard to find one of the right diameter. I wasted loads of time looking.

I couldn't find a glass shop that could cut anything so small, and if they had the edges would have been very rough. Smoothing down glass is no simple task.

I bought a glass disc from a filter/lens manufacturer in the end. It was a blank for some manufacturing process. Quite expensive. I then discovered some small circular mirrors in a craft shop the same diameter as a UK 2p coin, and scratched the silver off. A good cheap solution.

So I suggest searching for circular mirrors in craft shops/sites.
Jolyon Jenkins
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I went to my local mom and pop hardware store where I know the workers quite well and was cut a piece of glass the size of a half dollar, however, they couldn't cut anything smaller than that. They charged me 50 cents. First they traced the half dollar onto a junk piece of glass they have sitting around. But they have to cut out a square, not a round piece, then they cut the 4 corners off the square, then sanded the edges on a big belt sander to a nice round, smooth edge. So it can be done because I watched the whole process. It took maybe 15 minutes because the first attempt they broke it. The bottom line is, it's a matter if someone who cuts glass wants to take the time to do it for you. It's probably not worth their effort for the little amount of money they will get.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Someone just sent me the following link. I'm going to check into this. It just might be the answer to all our Tarbell needs...at least for lesson one Smile

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Coin%20Magic/COIN37.htm
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I've always done this using a real coin but no disc. It's a simple method and very effective. PM me and I'll explain it to you.

Don
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
The trick: 'Nothing Box', usually comes with 2 glass disks.

Paul
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
Try Johnson Magic's Silver Extraction trick. It has exactly what you all are seeking.

Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 17:23, JoeFreedom wrote:
Try Johnson Magic's Silver Extraction trick. It has exactly what you all are seeking.

Joe

The Silver extraction coin doesn't work for this. It is clearly visible and it doesn't sink, it appears to be nearly the same specific gravity as water, which means it floats all around and doesn't go to the bottom.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Someone has recently released a effect called ice coins that includes clear disks. you might want to check them out and see if it will work for this. I have them on back order, and ill give them a try and see if they sink and if they are invisable in the water
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Taugas and I HAVE BOTH SAID "get flashlight replacement lenses"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I am curious to know whether anyone has RECENTLY found a lens that is glass and the right thickness/diameter. I looked for a long time in the UK without success but maybe they still exist in America. As I say, just curious.

My solution - craft mirrors - costs only a few cents/pence per disc.
Jolyon Jenkins
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to let you know my discovery.

At Michael's Arts and Crafts they sell the small mirror disks, as were mentioned above, a bagfull for about $2. Rather than scrape off the backing and risk scratching the glass, I dropped a handfull in a jar of paint stripper. After about 1/2 hour or so this removed the enamel backing leaving just the silver on the glass disks. After rinsing them off I dropped those into a jar of liquid Draino (yes, Draino!). Again, after about 1/2 hour the silver dissolved right off leaving perfectly clear glass disks! Muriatic Acid will work as well (that's used to clean concrete).

The only problem (and it's just a small problem) is the disks are about 1/16" larger in diameter than a quarter. Nothing anyone will notice (especially if being held under a handkerchief). I don't know if Michael's has any half dollar sized mirrors or not. This process was quick and easy! Just remember to use rubber gloves when doing this!!

Oh, you may want to keep some of the mirrored disks, they make great shiners in certain circumstances!

Best,
Sandy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Glass disk for Tarbell's Dissolving Coin? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL