The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Why a Bill Switch? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
Just recently after I purchased a book which contained a bill switch I wanted to learn I began thinking of why I even need to use a bill switch. Why don't I use a shuttle bass or a spellbound change, especially if I am switching in a bill of the same demonination. (This probably applies even more for Americans) Besides the cleanliness of a bill switch with a thumb tip, why do we use it?

There are billswitches without thumb tips!

Please enlighten me!

Nathan.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The "Bill Switch's" commonly done with a T tip are mainly for visually switching one bill for another. Such as a One turning into a hundred or a Mismade bill.

If an effect doesn't need a visual switch such as secretly exchanging a bill for a gimmicked bill. Or changing a bill to another bill that has a serial number that matches a prediction. Any method can be used. Like you're mention of a shuttle pass would work well.

There are other tricks and bits that allow you to secretly switch a bill for another bill. For example one might do a torn and restored bill and when it's restored it's secretly switched. There are quite a few things taht work along these lines.

So some bill switches are meant to be visually turning one bill into another while others are meant to secretly exchange a bill for another.

I hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
There are bill switches without thumb tips and there are lots of ways to switch billets which is what the bill becomes after it's folded up.

When you are saying "why do I even need to use a bil switch?" I guess you are asking why the folding and unfolding of the bill as opposed to folding it up and then doing a spellbound change, shuttle pass or any other utility switch.

A good bill switch can create the illusion that the bill never left the spectator's site. When you are doing it, that's what you should strive for. There isn't a covering action like what is required for a spellbound change, no tossing from hand to hand as required by a shuttle pass or any of the coin switches in Bobo's. It's just folded up and unfolded right in front of the audience, always plainly in view. If you cover the bills at any time during the switch then you've lost this advantage and your better off doing another switch but if you don't, it's hard to find anything as clean.

BTW - there are excellent handlings both with and without a thumbtip. If you are going to fold it up and unfold it changed then I'd recommend a thumbtip because the audience will be burning your hands looking for the switch. I'd recommend Roger Klause's handling, it's the best I've seen. If you plan on folding up the bill, doing the switch and then delaying the revelation for a bit by having someone else unfold it or making the switch more subtle then I'd recommend Paul Chosse's switch without a thumbtip. It is also excellent.

Dave
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Because we can...

Seriously, the EFFECT you are striving for should dictate the method you employ. All the bill switch stuff you are seeing today, and for the last 20 years, really has it's genesis in billet switches, and particularly, Al Baker's billet switches. So, yes, you can certainly switch a bill in many ways - define your needs, THEN choose your methods...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I've always done Mike Kozlowski's switch without the tip; he gave that handling as an option in the manuscript, and it has been one of my at-a-moment's- notice effects for the past 20 years. Never had a problem showing both sides of the bill. It just seemed easier for me that way.
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
Bill switch is a great illusion there are a lot of ways to do it, most of the time each magician come up with his version.The top idea will be using the same technic switching a bill to a card, a bill to a coin, a bill to a scarf,..... it will be great, no?
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Why a Bill Switch? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL