The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Just wondering... when did you all stop believing in Santa and how did you find out?

And how many of you with kids play up the Santa thing with them?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I woke up to the sound of fussing, and went into the living room to find...

my parents struggling to get a "big wheel" toy together.

I put the thing together for them, then went back to bed.

From child to elf in one night.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
What? so santa clause aint real?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I think I was about 27 when the Tooth Fairy told me there was no Santa.
Actualy I am not sure if I ever believed in Santa. I do know that I played along with the story of Santa at the age of 4 (I didn't want to hurt my Parents feelings).
Fact is, I like the story of Santa and I still do believe in the "spirit" of the Santa legend.
While I don't like to tell lies to my Daughter, I will NEVER tell her that there is no Santa but will explain (when the time is right) that our lives are a little bit enriched by letting the story live on.
My Daughter (age 7) understands that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus and I try to explain to her that we give presents to our Loved ones and at least one present to a needy child because that is one way that we can try to pay back Jesus for what he has done for us (although I am agnostic). I also try to explain to my Daughter that the spirit of giving and goodwill is something we should try to carry through the entire year, not just at Christmas time.
With that said, yes Reis O'Brien, I still do believe in Santa.
To EVERYONE here at the Magic Café', Merry Christmas and let's make the years to come, better than every.
Peace Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
What the hell are talking about? No Santa Claus. The next thing you know you'll be telling me Uri Geller is a fake. Well I won't put up with this. It's a right wing conspiracy I tell you. Of course there's a Santa. Don't be ridiculous.

By the way Reis, I meant to tell you, nice haircut.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Hekate
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Hekate
Santa's not real??!!!! I guess you're gonna tell me that Elvis is dead too??
"It was magical. And excruciating....which made it all the more magical"
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Ok, I'm taking your name off the "Nice" list.

http://www.ncsanta.com
Hekate
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Hekate
What did I do????!!!! =(
"It was magical. And excruciating....which made it all the more magical"
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Well, a long time ago, I realized that Santa used the same wrapping paper as my parents. Also, the handwriting was suspiciously similar. Smile

Shane Wiker
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Tate... Where in NC are you? I was in Greensboro for 17 years. Just wondering.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Around the age of 10 when I saw my parents were placing "Santa Gifts" and we got caught peeking. They were peeved and threatened to give our gifts away to the Salvation Army. We cried.....especially when we saw the Atari system with the Pac Man game....yes this was a little while ago. Anyhow, we apologized went to bed and at that point Santa just disappeared. The 3 of us grew up quick that night. I have an 8 1/2 month old son and not that he understands but he will get a Santa gift. I also wonder.....should I play the Santa bit with him? Just wondering as many parents these days do not do the Santa thing. Boy are times a changing!!!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 1897-09-21 14:21, Virginia O'Hanlon wrote:
I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun, it's so." Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O'Hanlon

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Virginia, your little friends are right. They have not succumbed to the mysticism of a mystical age. They refuse to believe anything which contradicts what they know, and they know that reindeer can't fly and that one man could not deliver toys to all the world's children in a lifetime, let alone one night.

When your friends think like this, it demonstrates that the human mind is grand, and that in this great universe of ours man is a giant, a genius. Only man, of all life we know, can conceptually grasp the magnificent world about him, the whole of truth and knowledge.

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Santa is a make-believe character, created for children like you in a spirit of love, generosity and devotion. He is a product of the uniquely human power of reason.

One of the ways we use this power is to have fun rearranging the things we know into things that cannot be. But the true beauty of this power is that it alone, and not faith, is the light which fills the world with toys, candy, books, houses, clothes, schools, medicine, love and all of the values that make life joyous and fulfilling. So if you renounce reason in favor of faith, you renounce all these wonderful things.

Believe in Santa Claus? You might as well believe in fairies! To do either you must give up reason, and with it your ability to distinguish what is real from what isn't.

This ability is your most important asset; your life and happiness depend on it. When you understand this you will know why you should shun anyone who tells you that the less evidence there is for something, the "more true" it is.

Sometimes confused people say that there might be fairies dancing on your lawn because you can't prove that fairies aren't there. What these people don't understand is that it's up to them to prove that fairies might be there, yet this is what they can never do. Proof requires evidence and there can be no evidence for the existence of the non-existent. This principle applies not only to claims that fairies might exist, but to any arbitrary claim, including the one that there is an unknowable, supernatural world.

You know you must look inside your baby's rattle to see what makes its noise; faith, hunch or "intuition" will not provide the answer. This same reliance on "sense and sight" will equip you better for life than the united physical strength of all the strongest men that ever lived.

Hold to this reliance through all your days. If you do you will be able to push aside the curtain of ignorance and enjoy the poetry, love, romance, music, science and all the other glories of this world. There is no other world, Virginia, nothing else real and abiding.

A real Santa Claus? Of course not! He lives in imagination only, and for as long as he does he can make glad the heart of childhood. For a thousand, nay, 10 times 10,000 years from now, he may survive as a wonderful fantasy, unless man, using his faculty of reason, conceives of a better one.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I STILL believe in Santa! I always will!! Never rush to grow up!

Paul Pacific 0<;-)
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
So...what's the meaning of life, Scott...that is, beyond its futile biological self-replication and its ultimate doom at the 'hands' of an ever-expanding (and ultimately unravelling) universe?

Cynical minds want to know.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Do you give and ask for nothing in return?

Do you feel good making others happy?

If you answered yes to both then there is a bit of Santa in each of us!
Dennis Michael
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2004-12-10 20:37, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
So...what's the meaning of life, Scott...that is, beyond its futile biological self-replication and its ultimate doom at the 'hands' of an ever-expanding (and ultimately unravelling) universe?

Cynical minds want to know.

Steve

Whatever meaning you wish to give it. It is your life and no one elses so do with it what you will. Remember though it is the only life your going to get so don't waste it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Ahhh...Existentialism.

Sartre's very-empirical conclusions are less than inspiring. They smack more of a 'resigned acceptance' than an 'enlightening philosophy.'

There is no rational impetus for continued existence, or effort in any area in existence. We're spinning our labored wheels painfully.

"Life's a bad joke and then you die" hardly promotes productive activity. Logically, it discourages it.

From that perspective, all life is 'pre-wasted.' Anything you do doesn't matter...at all. Legacies are meaningless in a universe that will eventually spread into nothingness at the molecular level.

As for personal joy...pfft! Life's trials and pains all but envelop the brief snippets of joy. Add to that that you always know that the Great Void is rushing toward you. Why forestall the inevitable? Why promote the world's populace to continue to strive for doomed benchmarks, and create new generations to suffer the same futile fate?

It gives one pause.

Why, you may then ask, if that's my empirical perspective, I don't go ahead and 'off' myself?

I'm NOT an empiricist. Smile

Steve
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2004-12-11 10:28, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:

"Life's a bad joke and then you die" hardly promotes productive activity. Logically, it discourages it.

It's a bad joke only if you make it so. For me it's been a pretty good joke so far. I don't need to waste my time believing in a big invisible guy in the sky or some sort of ill conceived after life (why no before life?)to give meaning or enrich my existence while I'm here.
Life is simply what it is. Nothing more.
Perhaps Santa will bring me a big dose of irrational belief for Xmas. But I hope not as I’ve no place to put it.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

But it's still a joke.

What you choose to believe in or not believe in, or what 'spin' you choose to place on what makes life "worth living" is, from a purely empirical perspective, still absolutely pointless and self-deluding.

We have no reason to be here, and no reason to do anything beyond the rigors of our dubious and brief survival, and to possibly create offspring to endure the same futile cycle.

In the meantime we engage in non-stop acts of mutual victimization for whatever hackneyed reasons we can concoct, and make the rigors of our brief survival infinitely more complicated and difficult in the name of 'progress.'

Steve
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2004-12-11 15:49, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
But it's still a joke.

What you choose to believe in or not believe in, or what 'spin' you choose to place on what makes life "worth living" is, from a purely empirical perspective, still absolutely pointless and self-deluding.

We have no reason to be here, and no reason to do anything beyond the rigors of our dubious and brief survival, and to possibly create offspring to endure the same futile cycle.

In the meantime we engage in non-stop acts of mutual victimization for whatever hackneyed reasons we can concoct, and make the rigors of our brief survival infinitely more complicated and difficult in the name of 'progress.'

Steve

Wow, this is going to be the thoughtful and uplifting message I'm putting in my Xmas cards this year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL