The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I find it funny how the question of one's belief in Santa Claus got turned into a philosophical discussion of the meaning of life.
I must agree with Payne and his views that life doesn't have to have any meaning at all. Life is what you make of it and nothing more than that. If you want to believe in something "spiritual" then fine that is your choice but if you want to believe in nothing but yourself or science or nothing at all that is fine as well.
As for me? I believe in Peter Pan Smile.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Iven,

If you "make" anything of it, even the slightest thing, it becomes a subjective exercise that is separate from the scientific realities of our existence.
That's all I'm trying get across.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Walter Irving Scott
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Walter Irving Scott
Quote:
On 2004-12-14 17:54, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Iven,

If you "make" anything of it, even the slightest thing, it becomes a subjective exercise that is separate from the scientific realities of our existence.
That's all I'm trying get across.

Steve


But what's coming across is that the atheist contingent in here is still unimpressed with your blowhard, existentialist diatribes that have nothing to do with Freaking Santa Claus and a childhood epiphany.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Walter Irving Scott,

Thanks for putting your words in their mouths, and an unnecessary attitude into this thread.

If anyone wishes to further discuss this with me intelligently, feel free to PM.

It's clear I'm just annoying certain people here, so I'll just move on.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Walter Irving Scott
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Walter Irving Scott
No big deal . . .

Somebody asked a simple question about Santa. You turn it into a two-page exegesis as annoying and convoluted as a Stephen Hawking book. So if my attitude is unnecessary, it's because your dopey soapbox on which to tout your ridiculous vocabulary is unnecessary.

To answer the original question: I was six.

Thank you and good night.

WIS
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Predictable.
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Again, any intelligent discussion with me on this that does not require parading before an audience, PM me.
Radio silence.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 00:58, Walter Irving Scott wrote:
No big deal . . .

Somebody asked a simple question about Santa. You turn it into a two-page exegesis as annoying and convoluted as a Stephen Hawking book. So if my attitude is unnecessary, it's because your dopey soapbox on which to tout your ridiculous vocabulary is unnecessary.

To answer the original question: I was six.

Thank you and good night.

WIS



Sounds like you have some issues to work out. I think you are being way too judgmental of other's.
This was supposed to be a lighthearted discussion on Santa Claus not a chance to chastise our friends here on the Café'.
Keep it up and you will find a large chunk of coal in your Christmas Stocking Smile.

By the way, I admire Steven Hawkings Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
WOW...I am a little bothered by Scott's first comment re: the existance of Santa. We must remember that the message is more important than the messanger. Santa brings more to just toys to children. He is a symbol...a symbol of giving, charity, kindness and love.

I always felt that the idea of Santa (based on a real St. Nicholas by the way) was to introduce young children into the gospels and religion in a way that was easier to understand.

As a magician we depend on the audiences sense of mystery, wonder and imagination - if those senses are not there... what good are we?

So Virgina...There most certainly is a Santa, as well as a bunch of faires, and easter bunny and probably aliens from space and big foot too. Keep you imaginations growing and let no-one tell you any different!

Merry christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Walter Irving Scott
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Walter Irving Scott
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 05:03, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Predictable.

Ahh the condescending doctor, drinking his tea with pinkie extended. . .

Iven. Thank you, but I have no issues, other than seeing a perfectly whimisical, thread get hijacked by the almost alliterative use of the word "empiricism."

So I merely posted something that may infer that if one wants to try to prove they are the most cerebral sentient being, then maybe they should start another thread that draws elitist snobs to an existentialist discussion on Kris Kringle.

This is about the good doctor's seemingly narccissistic love affair with his own inability to just say, "some people take comfort in having faith, and others seem to subsist without it." He said nothing more. It's just he seems to believe he's a lone Jane Goodall in a Café full of apes.

I am sure he will give yet another clarion call to "break the chains of this plebian discourse, and form a more academic coterie in the PM Parthenon."

I also admire Stephen Hawking, but you have to admit it was a good illustration.
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Hmm...I certainly appreciate WIS's comments. Reading through this thread I expected a bit of light-hearted fun. Not Dr. Midnight crying out about the reality that life has no reason to exist!

Maybe some here felt the comments by WIS were unwarranted but so were Dr. Midnights'.
Santa Clause is about giving a feeling of joy and magic to someone you care about (i.e kids). Who cares that a fat guy in a red suit doesn't exist...Strike that he does exist I've worked a number of events with him...nice guy

If I want to contemplate the meaning of life I'll go to Barnes and Noble get a Café mocha cappucino latte with sprinkles on top and read a "Philosophy for Dummies" book. None of which may exist but if they do they make me smile and I feel good. That is what it is all about.


On point,
Taking christmas paper out for collection my mom told me. I felt deflated and sad. I'll never forget that moment.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 07:16, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 00:58, Walter Irving Scott wrote:
No big deal . . .

Somebody asked a simple question about Santa. You turn it into a two-page exegesis as annoying and convoluted as a Stephen Hawking book. So if my attitude is unnecessary, it's because your dopey soapbox on which to tout your ridiculous vocabulary is unnecessary.

To answer the original question: I was six.

Thank you and good night.

WIS



Sounds like you have some issues to work out. I think you are being way too judgmental of other's.
This was supposed to be a lighthearted discussion on Santa Claus not a chance to chastise our friends here on the Café'.
Keep it up and you will find a large chunk of coal in your Christmas Stocking Smile.


These days, that's not the punishment it might have been once.

Quote:



By the way, I admire Steven Hawkings Smile
Iven Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 10:18, Walter Irving Scott wrote:
This is about the good doctor's seemingly narccissistic love affair with his own inability to just say, "some people take comfort in having faith, and others seem to subsist without it." He said nothing more. It's just he seems to believe he's a lone Jane Goodall in a Café full of apes.


oook!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL