The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you write an introductory script? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
What's up everyone. I'm currently working on an act using the theme of remote viewing.

Long story short, I begin with some engaging card effects and ultimately end with a crystal ball effect. Although I know the routine is solid from beginning to end, I'm not sure how I should go about hooking in the audience before I even introduce the cards. Getting in rapport with the audience is easy for me, but getting them to start getting highly engaged seems like an intimidating task.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how I can think of a powerful script for my crystal ball routine?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Peter
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I would highly recomend that (if you have not already) you check out Kenton Knepper's Wonder Words and his Wonder Readings. This will give you ways to structure the scripts as well as words which will make your presentation stronger and more moving/memorable to your spectators and participants.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Hey Peter,

I agree with Kennedy on the Wonder Words reccomendation, but must plug Ken Weber's book "Maximum Entertainment". Great resource on scripting.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Scott B, got to seocnd your post on Weber's book. Worth the read. Also, if you are interested in stuff like this check out Chuck Hickok's book Mentalism Incorporated, has some wonderful efefcts int here as well as theory on presnetation etc.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Hey Kennedy,

You are definetely a true mentalist - considering right before I read your post I was thinking about the Hicok book ! ! !

HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?!?!?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Word! (No pun intended) Thanks for the help. If it's not too much trouble, could I ask where I can buy Ken Webber's book for a good price? I know where to get Wonder Words, and you guys have helped convince me it's a worthy buy. Thanks again.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I think the cheapest place to get Maximum Entertainment from would be Magic Pro Shop (www.magicproshop.com)
Thanks! Scott B.

Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
One good introduction is found in Bob Cassidy's "The Ultimate Mind Trip", which is a varriant, a better one IMO of his Chronologue. Check it out.

You could also try a Google search on Remote Viewing/Psychic warfare experiments. You might find some references to the US/USSR governmental research of the 1950's that can be used.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Mindguy...that's very strange! I just started doing that about a week ago. I'm experiencing what scott B. just experienced!
Take care everyone
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Peter,

Steven Kings book titled On Writing, should be a must read for any performer in this field.
Also his book Dance Macabre. Both are texts for artists. And will help in ways Wonder Words cannot.
(I imagine most working guys will agree)

It will start you thinking of how you can really engage an audiences intellect.

The book On Writing, also contains the most amazing piece of mental magic I have seen in years.
If you have read the book I am sure you know what I am writing about .

Hope this helps you. I might also suggest Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms and the Tarbell books.

Best Wishes

Jim
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Hey Jack Galloway,

I also found Stephen King’s book very useful. People tends to dismiss the book because King writes commercial stuff and is not regarded as a “serious” writer, but there is plenty good advice there.

And yes, the secret of telepathy is there. ;-)

Maximum Entertainment is a great resource to check out your entire routine.

Peter, beside spending 500 dollars in books, ask yourself what do you want to say at the beginning of your show? What is it? Why? Try to think about that. Remember to be a person first, a magician second.
PhilippO
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of PhilippO
Quote:
On 2005-03-31 17:23, enriqueenriquez wrote:
Peter, beside spending 500 dollars in books, ask yourself what do you want to say at the beginning of your show? What is it? Why? Try to think about that. Remember to be a person first, a magician second.

what do you think that peter (aka MAGICGETSGIRLS) wants to say...

sorry that´s a bit of topic. (greetings to the lifeguard!)
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

HA! Rainking, that's pretty funny. If only I didn't have a girlfriend...
Thanks again you guys.
-Peter

P.S. My writing has improved quite a bit since I've written this post, and I can credit some of it to simply brainstorming as if my script were an essay. (In some cases it is.)

Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you write an introductory script? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL