We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » I need egg bag info (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
ThomasR:

I think you are missing my point, because a LOT of Magicians here are concerned with the type of egg bag they choose to use. My point is this: It ain't the bag that counts...it's THE ENTERTAINER.

If that is scolding, well....so be it........it's my 2 cents worth......
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of thomasR
But the point of the discussion is egg bag info, I don't think anyone ever said that one egg bag was more or less entertaining than another. I have a Fabric manipulations Malini Bag that I love but I still want to get a Mardo Bag from Martin Lewis same time and a Hobson Bag as well. I don't think any of them are more or less entertaining, but that's not the point of this discussion.

I agree that anyone can entertain or not entertain with any type of egg bag. But that's true for any type of magic routine.

Scolding was a bit harsh of a word for me to use.... I think we actually agree pretty much.
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
237 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
GEEZ People! Scolding is what's missing from our current society!!!! If more people were verbally or textually scolded, everyone would be at peace in the world. All capitals is especially effective in textual scolding as is multiple question marks and exclamation points. CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?????!!!!!

If all of you would just buy my %#?&@!HOBSON EGG BAG, then you wouldn't have all of these confusing questions and scolding conversations.
WHY should YOU buy it???????????????????????????????????.........

#1 - It comes in a number of beautiful colors (black is very hard and sometimes impossible to see on stage)
#2 - It's STUPIDLY EASY to perform. Forget the other bags where you have to really practice to hide the egg. Because of the design, my bag HIDES IT FOR YOU!!!!!!! This is a no-brainer!
#3 - My wife makes EACH AND EVERY BAG herself and is extremely picky about her work. Each bag is hand-checked by ME!
#4 - I have over an hour of FREE video instruction on the STUPIDLY EASY handling of my bag. Over 10,000 performances of EXPERIENCE with MY bag!
#5 - $85 bucks is cheap compared to some of the other STUPID prices on some tricks out there. Even if you're a semi-regular performer, what's $85 bucks? You can spend more than that on a dinner for 2. Any IDIOT can figure this out!

And to those who complain about scolding in forums like these. That's NOTHING compared to the blatant, self-promotion and braggadociousness of some of those who would hijack a thread JUST to promote his or hers products. I HATE THAT!

please visit
www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
737 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Jeff, I love it, couldn't have been put any better...
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8283 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
BRAGGADOCIOUSNESS??? --Hey Jeff! you're beginning to sound like Senator Crandall!!!!! hee hee!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I received my "eggplant" Hobson bag today. Jeff has every right to brag. It is just perfect.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
237 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2017, CJRichard wrote:
I received my "eggplant" Hobson bag today. Jeff has every right to brag. It is just perfect.

Ahhhhh, ANOTHER satisfied customer!
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
237 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
BRAGGADOCIOUSNESS??? --Hey Jeff! you're beginning to sound like Senator Crandall!!!!! hee hee!

I never got to meet the Senator. He seemed to be my kind-of-magician.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Jeff:

Dick Oslund has A LOT of good Clarke <Senator> Crandall stories!
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I just purchased the Senor Mardo Egg Bag and I like it. I just have to get use to the handling of the bag. I am use to the malini egg bag and it is a little different in construction.
I also have a Hobson Egg Bag which is very nice and very easy to handle. Each bag has its own merits which is great.Now I just have to get the eggs for the Mardo Bag and ill be in business.

Allen
FrankFindley
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Robert Baxt has an interesting routine using a Crown Royal bag and an aspirin bottle instead of an egg. Very creative thinking. The sound of the pill in the bottle adds some subtleties. At end he produces a coke bottle from the bag. Again, very interesting adaptation.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8283 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2017, jeffhobson wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:

I never got to meet the Senator. He seemed to be my kind-of-magician.

I was very privileged to meet and know the Senator! When I said that about you and the "Sen", I was teasing. You both have your own style, and, I think that you and he are/were great!
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Is it the Eggs-Actly eggs to use for the Senor Mardo egg bag or wooden egg?

Allen
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21862 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2018, mtstic44 wrote:
Is it the Eggs-Actly eggs to use for the Senor Mardo egg bag or wooden egg?

Allen

I have no idea why Martin Lewis is suggesting the Tri-Fog eggs for his bag, except to satisfy the magicians that want the egg to feel like a real egg in the hands of the spectator. Some 40 to 70 years ago, they used the wooden eggs, with the gag, "egg from a decoy duck" patter.

Here is an idea: Produce the wooden egg at the end of a "Jo Ann the Duck" routine. Then follow up with the Mardo Egg Bag routine.

The design of the Mardo Egg Bag is because of using the wooden egg, so it is perfectly okay to use, and it will work very well.

It is your choice, just remember, the Eggs-Actly eggs, will and do break if dropped, or not packed properly while in transport to a show, and in some cases, mishandled by the spectator.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Thanks Bill, I was thinking the same thing. It cost too much to drop and I'm not going to keep forking out about 15.00 dollars per egg that might break. I'll go with the wooden egg. Thanks again.

Allen
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8283 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup. mtstic44...I've used a Sterling/Mardo bag with a wooden egg (with the ancient decoy duck line, too, since 1953. (It works just fine.)
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I was wanting to ask one last question about the Senor Mardo Egg Bag. I went on ebay and I purchased the bag but the ribbon is on the wrong side of the you know what. The pattern is a little different also. I hope I didn't get a imitation. The instruction booklet came with it but it seems a little smaller than what Martin Lewis has advertised. It looks like a 7 by 9 size bag. The description says 8 by 9, so I don't know. I hate to buy another one if this is a Senor Mardo egg Bag. Any reply from Mr. Oslund or Mr. Hegbli would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Allen
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21862 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you email Martin Lewis himself, his wife handles their website, so she may reply also.

www.magikraft.com

Martin's mother made the Egg Bags originally, after she passed, Martin had a company make them, in different colors, as you will see on his website. So it may be that the new company is saving on use of bolts of material they use, or you got a bag from another manufacturer.

If you mean by ribbon, the top opening, it should go all the way around the mouth of the bag. You do realize, that the Mardo Egg Bag is not new, did the listing mention that it was Martin Lewis's Bag. If not maybe you got an original from the 1970's. Did it list used, not that they have to say if it is new or used.

Pengin Magic sells them for $30, that is $15 off the regular retail price. So I hope you saved a few dollars by ordering from an unknown person.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/s/Mardo+Egg+Bag

It hard to answer a question, when you do not reference where/whom you purchased it from on eBay. I buy a lot off eBay, but never magic props. Most all of them just do what is called "drop shipments", so they never see the products they sell or know anything and nothing about them.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8283 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Harold Sterling's wife made the first "Sterling" bags, in the early '40s. I have Harold's catalog, in which he credits Senor Charles Mardo with the innovative vanish of the egg, from the outside of the bag. I had seen a poor 'demonstration' of an egg bag, in a movie short. (It was the "standard" egg bag, not Sterling/Mardo, or Miller/Malini.) It was awful.

About 1947, as a teen, I met Mardo, in a magic shop in San Francisco. He was most kind to me. I tell the story in my book, of meeting him again in the old EdMar shop in Norfolk, VA, in 1953. He was in a financial problem. I introduced him to my friend, Earl Edwards, shop owner. We were able to book a lecture with Ring 103, and, a lucrative club date, plus an afternoon of personal coaching. He left for New York with a ticket in his pocket, a new overcoat, cash in his pocket, and, his DIGNITY.

I had seen HIS EGGBAG ROUTINE! I bought one the next day! ($2,50!!!) It was made by Sterling's wife. I used it for YEARS. It was WOOLEN. Finally, after many "repairs", it was ready to retire. At a Ring Meeting "Swap Night",in Seattle, I saw one. It was NEW. It was a JEFF BUSBY bag. (They were selling for $50!) The "magician" wanted $5.00. I nearly tore my underwear, getting out my wallet! I've used it since.

I've tried out a Miller/Malini. I KNEW Charlie Miller. I KNOW Johnny Thompson, I KNOW Jeff Hobson. I KNOW Danny Tong, I KNOW Denny Haney. I KNEW Eric Lewis.They are/were great egg bag performers. The Sterling/Mardo bag fits ME, and my "style". You can see my egg bag on my dvd. I only did 2/3 of the routine on the tape, due to time constraints. The complete routine is in my book.

It sounds like you bought an imitation Sterling/Mardo! I don't know who is making a good Sterling/Mardo, today.

I "inherited" Karrell Fox's two (Busby made) Sterling/Mardo egg bags. I've sold one. I MAY sell the other, as I'm no longer performing.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I thank both you for your input. The bag is red with yellow and black lines in it. It did have a card board insert and a thick plastic bag that it was put in. The instructions was a blue booklet with a bag printed on it. It was copyrighted in 1996. There is a sticker on the plastic bag with magicfact.com on it. The bag has a yellow tint to it to make me believe i
it's been around a little while. I got it for 28.00 on ebay. I wish I had a picture to show you.

Thanks
Allen

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » I need egg bag info (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL