The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » No more shaking! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Well, it's been a while since I've posted here, but I definitely thought the latest development in my magic-ness deserved a posting. I no longer shake when performing! I sometimes still get nervous, but I guess I've gotten used to it and my confidence is building.

I performed the Cups & Balls last weekend for my largest audience yet, with absolutely great results!
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Congratulations! Just keep on doing it! Nervousness is a good thing too at times. ort of like a check and balance. Without it there are chances of being too relax for your own good! The result is clumsiness.

All the best!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I agree with Rannie, we never want to get to the point of never being nervous for fear of getting too complacent. Still the first time we perform without our hands shaking is cause for celebration! Congrats!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Congrats! I totally agree with Crystal and Rannie. Everytime I step out on that stage, whether it is to perform magic or music, I still get a certain amount of butterflies in my stomach. I always feel like it makes me more alert and helps to kick in the adrenaline.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Even performers who have reached the point in their performing career where they are quite relaxed on stage still maintain a healthy amount of anxiety.

That is not a bad thing and actually motivates you to do your best. Too much can result in a feeling of overwhelm and will produce physical things such as increased heart beat, sweating and the all annoying shaking.

Congrats on reaching the point where the shakes are gone and keep on performing. I am sure you have the support of eveyone boy, girl, man or woman who has ever taken up magic as a hobby (or profession). You certainly have mine.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Gawd what a relief! I thought I would never stop shaking. Thanks for the hope!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
Reading this makes me feel better, as I used to shake as well, now I am just nervous, like a knot in my stomach, but once I start it gets better. What realy helped me was, that I could do the routine in my sleep and I could focus on the presentation.
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.."
Oscar Wilde
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I have always been very comfortable in front of audiences. I've worked as a singer, an actor, a comedian and a speaker. In all of those, I had normal stage fright, but it wasn't until I started doing magic as an adult (I did a lot as a kid, but just as a hobby) that I found my hands shaking. The shaking got so bad sometimes I couldn't even hold a deck of cards without dropping them. It was about a year before I could get through a routine and be relaxed. The best thing about that was my magic took a quantum leap in quality. Suddenly, a whole new world of effects were open to me.

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear how much you improve. Keep us posted!

Richard
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I think what makes the difference for me is that I have studied more psychology and theory than methods lately. Knowing what makes magic for the audience (hint: it's not just fooling them) has made my performance much more powerful.

I know now that if I drop something or make a mistake, I can cover it. The audience doesn't know what's supposed to happen, so as long as I know what makes a moment magical I can make magic out of something that wasn't supposed to happen!

It's all about entertaining the people--not about fooling them!
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
According to Osterlind it is still better to feel nervous when going on stage because it makes more alert not to make a mistake.

According to Arthur Gadsby "The Incredible Krama", Anneman had a terrible stage fright that at the end of his performance he was shaking and sweating, which convinced his audience that what has just transpired was real Mind Reading.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
"It's all about entertaining the people--not about fooling them!"

I agree totally, though I shake like a leaf still.

I've not done much magic with an audiance, though I did teach at night school for a while (computers, not magic) and that has helped with my nerves, though performing is a diffent stress for me.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
It's great that you over came that. We all have or had to I'm sure.

The last time I felt absolutely no nervousness or anxiety before a show was when I was performing 15 shows a day for a couple of weeks. After the first 10 shows of the first day I no longer felt anything. I'd sit down and read a book or something between shows. 2 minutes after the last show I'd be raedy for the next. Then I just ran through it over and over again.

I tried my best to stay hyped up but it wasn't easy. Not having that nervous or anxiety feeling made the shows very boring to perform.

I only shared that as an example of what everyone has already been saying. It's a good thing to feel. Just not so good when it can't be controled.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » No more shaking! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL