We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's in the busker-bag then? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Over in street magic, there are numerous threads regarding what we carry with us, our mainstays / faves, yadda-yadda. Our effects are small, so we usually carry quite an arsenal. I've gathered from some of the posts / threads in here that most busking acts consist of only 3 tricks. So my question is, what effects do you use? What do you prefer? Is no magic act considered complete without the cups & balls?

P.S. I searched this room post-by-post looking for this subject, but it's either never been discussed or I missed it.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have my cups but don't always use them. If I'm doing close up shows, I usually end with ambitious card to ring box, a la Tommy Wonder, which is a killer finale.
I have a few decks of cards, Brainwave deck, rope, 10 inch linking rings, cups, pouch, thumbtip and two silks, ninja rings, spongeballs--that's about it. Oh, wait, my amp and a boom box.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Though I carry my cups, typically another performer and I switch up doing shows and therefore I only perform the cups on my last turn. I also always carry a pouch with a few coins, endless chain, a deck of cards, rope, scissors, and a newspaper... and of course fruit.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yeah, Jim, forgot to mention my coins. Which is usually what I open with. 5 half dollars and a jumbo half for my coins across to jumbo routine. Am working on a copper/silver routine but haven't done it for the punters yet. Also forgot to mention my bent, three card monte cards. And my table and cart, which everything fits into/onto for easy transport.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I usually have cups an balls, ninja rings, billoon, coins, cards, silks, TT, sponge balls, squeekers, wand.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If no table, fire book, rope, switchblade or scissors, two decks of cards, 2 Sharpies, TT, 2 silks (different colors), coins for C/S (ungimmicked) with jumbo half finish.

If with a table, all that and a small leather duffle bag with a few extra things like Nielsen Coke bottle, jumbo watch production, and bowl routine props or chop cup. Although I do a cups and balls routine, I have yet to work one up for the street (no pouch yet... quiet Frank... I know...)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I take my table case, containing 3 - 10" or 3 -12" rings, several card decks, color changing knives, ropes for C&R, and already prepared Prof Nightmare ropes, Ninja rings, wand, Jumbo Shattered, rubberband supply, flattened pennies w/10 commandments, razor blades from mouth, and it contains a large closeup pad, the legs for the table, and table drap with advertising on it.

I also have a knapsack that contains, coloring book, stiff rope, "Elephant Fly", string of Gosman sponge hotdogs, Spring skunk, Coins, a couple specialty decks, a smaller closeup pad that rolls up, Scissors and rope, and usually a set of 10" rings.

I can grab either one and go off to work just fine, or if I am working a really good pitch with good traffic, where I might be for a while, I take both so I don't get bored. Smile

And that doesn't count the dozen or so pocket things, like packet tricks, sponge balls, coins, penettraing pen, etc, that I take wherever I go even when not intending to work a pitch. I hate to have a ready audience and be short on magic.

So I am pretty much ready to go 24/7, but if I am serious about working a pitch, I take one or both of the bags.

I am just now working my cups and balls routine into shape, and don't know exactly how I will carry the cups, balls, loads, and wand in the pouch or in a bog, etc, when I start taking it out.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Jim:

....."fruit??" You mean like for the C&B finale?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Having recently visited Tannens, I see that Bro David carries larger stocks than them!!!
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 03:06, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Jim:

....."fruit??" You mean like for the C&B finale?

Yes. I also have it for a bill in lemon or bill in orange effect.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
MF you must have missed it in your search but I have posted and discussed my act several times here on the Café.

Here it is again! As to act, I tend to do ropes (rope thru person, cut and restored to Professors nightmare, etc, etc), signed-borrowed-bill-to-balloon (thank you Mark Jenest), or occasionally to a lemon, and the cups and balls or Benson Bowl or Chop Cup. Add the warm-up (Misers Dream), show-off (coin flourishes), crowd attracting stuff (banter, jokes, tug of war with the rope) and the passing the hat and that’s about it.

While this is the core of my street act I also have a sponge ball/rabbit routine and a solid thumb tie (with watch steal) routine that I will also perform when the crowd is real small (say 10 people) and I want to create a bit of excitement and get some attention getting energy going. I might even perform my borrowed, signed, torn and restored bill routine.

I know this sounds pretty sterile but there really is a lot of fun stuff interacting with the audience.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just bought a whole load of feng-shui coins that are about 3.5" wide.
The look very good. The only issue with them is that they have a tiny hole
at the top and the bottom (as well as the hole in the middle) that keeps
it from being perfect. They are thin. If you're producing a whole bunch of
jumbo coins from a silk, a la cellini, this could be a good option.

Harry I also use Billoon, as I stated above.
Maybe I'll pm you my routine to see what you think.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's in the busker-bag then? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL