The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden vs. Metal Chop cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hello all,

I have been using a metal chop cup for years and am thinking of moving to a wooden one. Does any one have expereince with a wooden chop cup and if so, which do you prefer?

any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

thanks,

David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
David:

I've tried wood, and I've tried metal. The old Mikame wood chop cups were the best of the bunch, as far as wood is concerned. But metal cups won't crack.

My favorite, though, is leather.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Thanks Bill,

I am considering the Viking cup. When you say the wood cracks, I am assuming that is if it is dropped?

David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If it is dropped, banged on the table, sat upon, you get the idea.

The Viking cup may be stronger than some of the other ones I have seen. George knows what he is doing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to http://www.theambitiouscard.com and see Frank's great leather cups. The fact they are squeezable is a great tool. And nobody suspects magnetism in leather, they do in metal.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I use the metal but always liked wooden cups for the rich elegant look. Recently I was given an inexpensive set of wooden cups. Some disappointing features about them were (a) they were lighter in weight than the already light weight aluminum cups I use. And (b)even more disappointing is they were finished in a manner that screams "Plastic!" Instead of some rich hand rubbed finish, they were Lacquered with some gawd awful stuff that makes them look more like plastic than wood.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I had a couple of sets of those for sale. I really couldn't recommend them. They weren't chop cups, though, they were just regular cups. The walls were so thick that they wouldn't take a decent sized load ball, either.

I had to reject one set, because there was a big knot on the rim of one of the cups -- an instant invitation to disaster.

But you won't have to worry about that with the cups George is making at Viking.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Thanks Bill!

I am looking forward to the Viking product.

David
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
I am not sure what type of cup to get either I have a metal cup and I am a begginer should I stick with metal and if so can anyone reccomend a good chop cup
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Stick with the one you have until you learn a routine. Then get something better if you feel it is necessary.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
HGM,

Not sure where you are from it isn't listed to the left of your post. But if you are near some good old brick and mortar type magic stores, I'd recommend when you are ready, as Bill Palmer suggests, you go look at some. Get the feel of the various brands and sizes in your hands and find one that is comfortable for you, or at worst find those you want to eliminate from consideration.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frank is absolutely right. Also, if you don't have a bricks and mortar establishment in your area, think about going to some magic club meetings and/or conventions. See if some of the fellows will let you handle their cups, so you can get an idea of what is available.

Some of my perspective on cups has changed recently with the advent of the newer, heavier cups from people like RNT2 and James Riser.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi Bill,

What do you think of the new Riser Shorty cup. I just got one.

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Since you just got one, "what do YOU think of it?"
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi Pete,

The Riser cup is very nice. Heavy and well made. I am still "playing" with it and not sure it really has the advantage (the way the gimmick is made) over other cups.

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Close to ready to ship Cocktail Surpise. Check http://www.hocus-pocus.com for pix under Porper Products.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I really like the Riser "Shorty" cup. The other one with that set is also very nice.

To tell the truth, I have never seen the need for a gimmick that allows you to roll the gaffed ball into the cup and back out again. But it's nice to have the option.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi Bill,

That is what I am refering to. Not sure that is a needed benefit. Like you said though, it is a nice option. Having said that the traditional cups are easier for me to work with, I don't have to "find" the magnet in the top of the cup. But I guess with some practice it will become natural. I may just go back to my old Morrisey (sp) cup that I have been using for years.

Pete,

Your cocktail surprise looks beautiful! I would be affraid to use that in the real world. Wouldn't want to damage it Smile

thanks,

David
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
I just recieved some Cups and Balls from Maxello.com, these are thin aluminum and very lite.
I know heavier is better, but these are kind of neat. Red, Yellow, and Blue, powdered on. good attic, well dimensioned, etc. White wool/cotton cork balls.
Nice collectable, made in India, for the money. Check it out!
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I also recently got the Riser Shorty Cup. He calls it the ultimate, and I'm surprised that the fact that you can roll the gaffed ball out at will has not been appreciated. This is, in fact, the way the Bob Mason Chop Cups were made. There were actually a leather dice cup.

I bought an extra set of balls from Jim and have been working on a stand up parlour type of routine. I use the two gaffed balls. So, even if you don't like the fact that you can tip out the ball once, and then do the Chop Cup "feint," you have to like the fact that you never have to worry about which ball is which.

I do, however, like the fact that the ball can be tipped from the cup. I also like the fact that with this "shorty" you can do the handkerchief and shot glass sequence.

Of course, I still do primarilly walk around close up and like the pocket size "Micro Chop" for that. But, I'm planning to do more parlour type shows and like the larger cup and bigger final loads for this situation.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden vs. Metal Chop cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL