The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden vs. Metal Chop cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
I don't have a magic shop near me. But what do you think a good chop cup would be for a begginer and I do go to a very small magic club but no one has a chop cup .
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Look on ebay. A Morrissey cup will get you started, or look on http://www.theambitiouscard.com and get a leather one, they are the best for many reasons.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frank makes some excellent cups. That's for sure. And the prices are reasonable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
davidfrench
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of davidfrench
Hi Pete,

I have been using the Morrissey cups for years. There was an issue of "rattles" with some of the cups, but they seemed to have fixed that with the newer runs. When you say that a Morrissey cup will get you started, do you mean that one should "upgrade" to another cup? Just curious what your experiences have been?

If you would like to, please PM me.

thanks for your willingness to share.

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No need to ever upgrade if what you get works FOR YOU... I like a leather cup as it doesn't scream its method (being non-metal) and also the loading of a billiard ball (a real 8-ball) into leather is silent, and with Frank's cup it is made the right size so you can hold the ball in place by gently squeezing the cup.

There are literally a hundred choices from tin cups to beautiful spun/engraved in copper, steel, brass, silver, all kinds of woods, beer cans, dice cups, etc. etc.....

BUT... (BLATANT PLUG) the newest way to do a cup routine is the Biro/Porper COCKTAIL SURPRISE.

Find it at http://www.stevensmagic.com or http://www.hocus-pocus.com
davidfrench
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of davidfrench
Hi Pete,

Thanks, I have been looking at your Cocktail Surprise...very nice looking set of props.

David
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Thanks for the kudos Pete and Bill.

I am now supplying billiard balls with the billiard-ball chop cups.
What a great load to produce on a hard surface!
Seems impossible but with the leather cups, they load anything silently, you can hold out the load with a gentle squeeze, and you can use them on any surface.

I sure wouldn't mind a cocktail surprise, tho.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2163 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
How about Felt cups? The Lewis Ganson "Bags of Everything" is a very old and not often seen routine using 3 different felt cups that stand rigidly and because they are made of felt the possibilites for loads is endless. I follow the routine and produce a glass of wine or liquid at the end. There is no need for a gaff in these bags since they are made of felt and manipulating the balls is much easier and again the posibilities are endless. Givem a try, you'll like routine and using the felt cups.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have the Ganson bags, very nice looking too, and pack flat.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Is it a felt cup or a felt bag?
I can't picture it.

Jake. Please don't get mad.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2163 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2004-12-16 02:15, Frank Starsini wrote:
Is it a felt cup or a felt bag?
I can't picture it.

Jake. Please don't get mad.

Depends on how you look at it. I hate doing this Pete, sorry, but they're felt bags that think they're Cups. The fact that they are made of felt, but rigid enough to do a C&B routine allows for some interesting improvisions when performing. We have one set we make that actually has the M**** gaff in it, but after handling these for awhile and you become comfortable with them the gaff is really not needed.

Another nice feature is as Pete mentioned, they pack flat and take up virtually no room, good if you are a street performer. Other advantages are, they don't scratch, they don't dent, no polishing is necessary. Any type of balls can be used. The best feature is at 9.99 retail, you don't have to take a mortgage out for them.

Cheers,
Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Jake you say that you make the felt set but I can't find it o the rnt 2 site. could you tell me here I can get a set of felt bags? Thanks oblique
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Check Ebay from time to time. They show up there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden vs. Metal Chop cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL