The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Pig Zag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Hey guys.

I'm kind of batting around an idea. I live out in the country near a hog farm. I was kind of playing around with the idea of constructing a zig-zag illusion but instead of using a girl assistant, I would use a pig. Kind of a down on the farm theme for my show. I would call it "Pig Zag". I know this sounds funny, but that's the whole idea. Do you think this idea would work or should I consider it slop? I want to do this and think it would be a hilarious piece of magic to throw in my show. Any help or suggestions to make it work or make it funnier would be greatly appriciated. And before anyone asks, the pigs are quite tame and are trainable. Please let me know what you think.

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Some years back there was a farm-themed magic show that had a normal (human) zig zag. I don't know if it is still going, but you might want to try and dig that up for ideas and/or to be sure you don't duplicate their show.

You could always have someone in a pig costume. Or, you could use a piglet in one of those dove-zags I see on the magic store sites.

The big problems would be making the pig cooperate, and to do it in a way that would not harm or abuse the pig.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Phil,

The easiest way to do Zig Zag with a pig may be a little different than the standard illusion. The problem with the actual Zig Zag prop is that the person/animal must actually do some moving inside the box to make the illusion work.

However, there may be a solution, I suggest checking out the Abbott plans for the Mabel Illusion. You will have to modify the cabinet in the plan a bit to have the center sliding section. However, with this principle you can actually open all three doors after you zag the pig. This principle may be your best bet.

Sincerely...
David
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Thanks David. I will look into the Abbott plans for construction. This is going to require some careful strategizing and constructing on my part as I was planning on having the cabinet be in a horizontal postion instead of the standard vertical up and down cabinets. This way the pig could walk right up into it. I am also planning on painting and constructing it to look like a barn.

Quote:
On 2004-12-08 21:22, MCM wrote:
Some years back there was a farm-themed magic show that had a normal (human) zig zag. I don't know if it is still going, but you might want to try and dig that up for ideas and/or to be sure you don't duplicate their show.

You could always have someone in a pig costume. Or, you could use a piglet in one of those dove-zags I see on the magic store sites.

The big problems would be making the pig cooperate, and to do it in a way that would not harm or abuse the pig.

This is a good point. I will take all precautions to ensure that the pig will be completely safe and comfortable the entire time.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Phil,

Funny you should say that as the Mabel illusion is oriented that way exactly. The cabinet lays horizontally, opposite of the typical zig zag cabinet.

You'll see this when you get the plans. There is also a photo of the illusion in the Abbott's catalog I have. Unfortunately, it is not on their website.

Good luck, Phil!

Sincerely...
David

Quote:
On 2004-12-08 22:25, This is going to require some careful strategizing and constructing on my part as I was planning on having the cabinet be in a horizontal postion instead of the standard vertical up and down cabinets. This way the pig could walk right up into it.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I can't believe that people are replying to this with a "straight face"! Smile

Don't mean to offend you at all Phil, but when I 1st read this I thought it was a joke.

Good luck if it is not!
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
Something else that might be funny to do is to transform the pig into a pack of bacon.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
No joke Christopher. I plan on doing this. I thought it would be hilarious to do. Kind of a Green Acres theme with Arnold the pig getting zagged. I like the bacon idea. I also thought about having it transform into a ham at the end... it would all be in good taste though. No pun intended..........ok.....maybe there was. Smile

Phil

Albert Einstein
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bruce Block did some bits with Kevin James at Abbott's a few years ago with a pig. Pigs are very intelligent. Several guys are doing the old dog act with pigs. Personally, I think it is more trouble than it is worth.

If you make something to size the for the pig, you have to keep the pig from growing. In the old circus days, there was an old trainer from Hagenback Wallace who had secret formula with some kind of beer mixed in that keep the pigs from growing to fast. The problem was you would just get them trained and then they would be too big to work. BTW, no one ever found out his receipe.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Pig Zag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL