The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Penultimate Cups and Balls on eBay? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Anybody know if these are legit copies?

Looks like they have been cropping up with a "Buy It Now" price of $10 from the same seller. The seller is listed as "quickstopengraving".

Curious and suspicious.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think these are legit. They look exactly like the one I purchased some years ago -- the cover is the right color, etc. He may have purchased a few of them from Bob Read.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
In respect for another's privacy and security, I can't tip any more info than this, but I've dealt with quickstopengraving before (both ways) with good results, and another reliable source told me who it really is. I trust this info to be true, and recommend that you do, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Why is it called Penultimate? Did the author know he was going to write one more book on the C&B after this one and that was all?

-Dan
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Thank you, Michael. I went to ebay, found the item, and hit the "Buy Now" button and thought, "Oh-oh!" but I figured it was worth the gamble. I've already received a confirmation that the book has been packed and will be on its way to me today. Your note seals the deal. I can't wait to get it.

Dan, these guys can give you a better history of it than I can, however, from what I understand the routine is more of a routine for magicians than for a lay audience. It's said to be a scream, and I've looked for it, on and off, since I got interested in the cups.

As to the title, I believe Bob, that last I heard, was working on an ultimate cups and balls history. Does anyone know how it's coming along?

Joe in KC
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5368 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bob Read’s “Penultimate Cups and Balls” (Penultimate = next to last) is a comedic routine. It uses one cup from a set, one paper cup, and one coffee mug. You will also have to make a specially gimmicked wand (easy to do) and get the final loads (I won’t tip here).

You will also have to adjust the script a bit (re-write the jokes to update them).

As with all of Bob’s stuff it is very good, direct, visual, humorous, and magical. While it may have been developed to mess with magicians, it plays very well for non-magician audiences. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that it is good stuff and well worth the investment.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob explains in the introduction of the routine exactly why he called it the "Penultimate Cup and Ball Routine." It seems that EVERY routine was the ULTIMATE this and the ULTIMATE that. He thought it was somewhat pretentious to call anything the ultimate routine or the final word. So his is the penultimate one.

It shows his bent sense of humor. You can't help but like a person who is that honest.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Does anybody know if the anyone is still making the gaffed wrist watch for this routine.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Thanks Joe, Harry and Bill! That explains it perfectly. And yes Bill, it's a bent sense of humor and I like it very much. The routine sounds fun; I'll have to keep an eye out for another copy of it on eBay.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I just did a search on ebay for "Penultimate Cups and Balls" and, by the looks of it, the same seller has another copy for sale for the same price.

As far as I know the PCB manuscripts are relatively rare, I had given up looking for one, and for $10 (USD) plus shipping, it's a heck of a price.

Joe in KC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 15:23, Payne wrote:
Does anybody know if the anyone is still making the gaffed wrist watch for this routine.

No, not at this time. In fact, that's one reason that Bob doesn't perform this routine any longer. Someone stole his kit with all the props in it.

I have a gaffed pocket watch that does the same thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have one of the wrist watches that I got a loooooooong time ago when Bob was first over here. What is also cool is is tiny bag that unzips to a full size carrying case. I think the Genii article mentions it.

The Penultimate routine is great and if you can carry it off it is good for laymen too.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
$10 bucks is a great price for it. I just bought a copy from H&R books recently and it cost me $20. That said, I'm still happy with my purchase. I'd been trying to locate a copy for a while.
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I think It's a great routine. Like most 3 cup routines, it's based on Vernon's routine, but you can see how Bob added his own bits and jokes and, made it his own. I still laugh when I read it. Bob is one of the funniest people I've ever met.

I bought a spring apart watch about 10 years ago from Bob Little, It is made a little differently, but you still get the same effect.

I believe you can still find similar bags to the one Pete mentioned in luggage stores. They are called zip- out totes or something like that. They are basically nylon tote bags that fold up into a little wallet looking thing. It's a good way to pick up after yourself. Unzip the bag, drop the fruit inside, put your cups in your pouch or show case and walk off. What a great idea, now I gotta go find one.

Joe
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22892 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Penultimate Watch was sold years ago by a dealer in the US who is not deceased. His partner has closed their business. The watch was made in England by an unknown craftsman. They sold for $50 back in the 1980's. So that would mean they would go for over $250 today. Out of the range of most posters on the Café as I read so much about high prices. This is only a gag, not a trick.

I still have mine from way back then. If anyone is will into pay the $250 for it, I would consider parting with it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can read about READ in a recent Genii -- great guy, great article.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
I found that the watch from the routine is not very difficult to make. It took one trip to Ax-Man surplus, $12, and about two hours of my time.Mr. Read gives permission to make the watch for yourself in the notes. This is also an option for you.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Penultimate Cups and Balls on eBay? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL