The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Coughing out cards » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
I am just wondering which type of method is the best way to cough out cards? are there any books coughing out cards? I only know one method that you can cough continuously during a routine. Need more ideas.
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Have you watched the Bill Malone tapes? In his performances he uses it. I don't think he explains the method but I guess it does give you ideas of how to use it.

pepijn
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Jeff McBride does it too, well minus the cough. I think he explains it in his manipulation videos.

Peace,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Jon
View Profile
New user
Israel
64 Posts

Profile of Jon
Yes McBride does explain in vol 1.
Jonathan.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
The way Bill Malone does it is so funny! Check out his On The Loose DVDs.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The funniest part of Malone's little coughing fits is that they happen on an offbeat. He'll just finish a sentence and then "ah-hack!" there they are! That's got to be one of the most hilarious things I have seen in a magic performance.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
JoaoPedro
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon - Portugal
179 Posts

Profile of JoaoPedro
I don't like McBride's version cause is too "dramatic".He does that as being a trick itself.I prefer the casual and unexpected way Malone does it.
João Pedro
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
It's become such a signature with Bill Malone that I don't know why anyone would want to touch it.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
To attain a skill they did not have before and, in my case, entertain folks in informal settings.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
I mean a technique to **l****. which way is the best.

Oh ya forget to ask, umm also the best way to keep coughing out cards on an off beat.
JoaoPedro
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon - Portugal
179 Posts

Profile of JoaoPedro
I can only see one method.Classic palming some cards in the offbeat and then produce them in an unexpected moment (maybe in the begining of the next effect).
Cards can be either palmed face up or down.
João Pedro
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Caughing out cards or the old cards from mouth used to be done in some of the old magic acts on the stage. I think there are shots in some card book Hillard put out of Cardini doing it.

Bill Malone took this idea to the close up table and made it a real gem of his act.

I think he has been doing it for more than 20 years and I stll laugh every time I see him do it. I could do it but I do not like doing other peoples effects and things that they consider trademarks...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Nik_Mikas
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
159 Posts

Profile of Nik_Mikas
This is also described in Tarbell Vol.2, with many other lost and forgotten gags.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Many of you are making a good point in that Malone has honed it into such a major staple of his act and character that it would almost be ripping him off to do it in your act. Still, he doesn't own it, so knock yourself out. But I agree, it's probably best left alone.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jon Armstrong does it as good as anyone... but, almost all don't get a large enough SPREAD of the cards... think about that aspect.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

It's worth noting that for years, producing cards from the mouth was a stage or platform item. Bill was the first (that I know of, anyway) to do it close-up. Also, Bill was not only the first to do it close-up, but the first to do it over and over again as a running gag.

It's not just that anybody would be ripping off Bill Malone by doing cards from the mouth in that manner...it's also that taking something that's so identified with someone in particular only ensures that the person doing the taking will never be anything more than a shadow of the original. Why anybody would only want to present "second-hand magic" -- or worse, a "second-hand personality" -- to the public is beyond me.
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
Wait a minute. I'll buy that we can attribute the coughing/running gag to Malone and that to do the same would be copying a signature effect/gag (I hope none of you perform Sam the Bellhop, for that matter:) ), but cards from the mouth has been around so incredibly long, that putting it off-limits for all other close-up performers seems a bit crazy. Be creative and come up with some reason to do it other than Malone's comedy, running gag, and go for it.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Right on Inferno I agree
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Does Malone use the same method as McBride?
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-13 14:57, Verno Inferno wrote:
Wait a minute. I'll buy that we can attribute the coughing/running gag to Malone and that to do the same would be copying a signature effect/gag (I hope none of you perform Sam the Bellhop, for that matter:) ), but cards from the mouth has been around so incredibly long, that putting it off-limits for all other close-up performers seems a bit crazy. Be creative and come up with some reason to do it other than Malone's comedy, running gag, and go for it.

No one said it was off limits to anyone. What's crazy is that it's been around for a hundred years and you hardly saw anyone doing it (and no one close up at all), and when one guy makes it a staple of his act, suddenly everyone else wants to do it, too. It's a staple, a character signifier, an essential part of the way someone's made his living for the last 29 years, and so much so that now it doesn't matter how one does it or what touches one puts on it, it will always look like he got it from "that guy" (even if he didn't).

You suggest being creative, and I'm suggesting the same thing. Be creative and find your own staples. I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't do the cards from the mouth; I'm just suggesting that cards from the mouth is at a point where anyone else who does it will only be copying Malone, and we have enough copies of magicians running around as it is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Coughing out cards » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL