The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Idea for an Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
I have an idea for an illusion and I know the principle involved for how it would work, but I need some help on getting it built. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Andy
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Andy -

Kind of a cryptic request there. Obviously there are a number of illusion builders available to you, however, if they are very skilled at all, it will cost you. An alternative might be a local cabinet maker. He can get the job done, provided you can give him enough information about what you want. You lose any sort of stage/theater knowledge that the illusion builders already have, and so your local guy is handicapped in that regard.

Good luck!
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Andy,

Have you considered making a mock up first, maybe out of cardboard? This can help you work out some of the kinks in development without incuring the cost of a builder.
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
The only thing I have so far is a sketch of it
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
The best thing I have found in building my own designs is to take your time and be throughough. Now that you have the sketch, make a cardboard mock up to make sure that it will work. (ie: that dimensions for loads are correct, height etc.) Any extra inch you can take off a load space will make it that much more deceptive.

Don't forget in building to make sure you take into account the thickness of the wood when measuring. This is called using interior dimensions. This way there won't b e any surprises when it is finished.

When painting it is best to use brighter colors next to any flat blacks that need to be hidden this will cause the mind to consider the black as a shandow.

I hope that this helps. If you have anyquestions feel free to contact me.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Andy
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
If it is not very big, I am sure your local carpenter can get it done for you. P.m me and I will be of any help I can on this.
cheers
googoodolls
View Profile
New user
Colorado
71 Posts

Profile of googoodolls
Or you could call around and go to a wood working shop and build it yourself. There are places around town you can do that. I know you can. I tried in my area and now I have a Table stand for me to perform magic. It will cost you less to I think if you have to pay to use the equipment.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
What's the Illusion supposed to do? The effect... Presentation...

Any similarities to existing illusion pieces?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Idea for an Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL