The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » About Professor Cheers Comedy Rope Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
468 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
I want to buy this one, and I searched the Internet for the price. I found their prices are so different. In some shops it's sold for $70 but in other shops it's sold for only $15. Why?? What is the diference betwen them??
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I just bought this a few weeks ago. I bought the Professional version. This is the $70 one. The $15 just has the instructions to do the trick. The Professional version has the instructions for the trick and all the props and something that allows you to be ready to do the trick anytime during your show. The $15 one, from what I hear, has to be done first in the show.

Hope this helps.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
The cheaper version should also have all the props that you need and should be set up ready to work.

oliver
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I bought mine almost 15 years ago for $12...it was complete. You don't HAVE to do it absolutely first. Not if you use my handling of it. I usually do it within the first 3 or 4 things, since it kinda sets the stage for the rest of the show, and is incredibly humorous with the right acting. I'd like to someday try the "pro" version, but it's not a necessity right now. I can set up the regular model in less than 3 minutes with a minimum of privacy.

Steve Thomas
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use the cheaper version and it works fine for me. I don't really see a need for the Professional version, for my needs anyway.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Use a "Fanny Pack" for storage and easy setup. I have found this to make the performance of the cheaper version much much easier and the pack is hidden by my jacket. A few modifications, and you are set.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Great tip Christopher.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5283 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I bought this over 30 years ago for a whopping $10.00. It came complete, made up of the heavy ˝ inch magician’s rope that used to be available back in the day. It had huge, colorful rayon (silk like) briefs.

I built a small black cloth bag (kind of like a poor man’s fanny pack) to hold the bulk of the rope. I pinned it under my jacket in the proper position. I also made an elastic loop around one wrist to hold one end in place (used my wristwatch on the other wrist and tucked a length around my foot, into the shoe, for the pants leg bit).

I often closed the show with the routine as an “encore” trick.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I bought the instructions only many years ago. Did it one season in school assembly programs and it was always a great applause puller. No, I did not do it first. Like Harry, I found a way to stabilize the ends in position.

In a very old Magicana column in Genii, Charlie Miller shared a holder for the rope that was mounted on your back and kept everything neat and tidy. That's what I used, but the fanny pack would probably work as well and you don't have to do a lot of work to make it. However, I'd be very careful about how you "pack" it. You don't want any tangling as it would mess up the whole routine.

Here's one little tip. It can be hard to see the movement of the white rope that most people use. It slides along, but the action can be hard to see from a distance. I found a macrame type of cord, about 1/2" diameter that had a pattern and was red and green. Because of the pattern, you can see the movement of the rope very well as you pull it out of your sleeve, and your pants leg.

Merry Christmas.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
... and a Happy New Year.

I found the setup easier and switched to ROPED.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
978 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi Pete,

Do you mean ROPED is a different trick, but on the same lines as professor?

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I also use Roped in some shows and have received great reactions. I find that it works better with smaller audiences.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
JoJO... YEP... I think either Hocus-Pocus or Penguin have video demos. Roped is a great walk-on MC item. You do need to to open with it as it comes, but you can fiddle arpund and find a way to NOT use it as an opener with some work.

I think it is Henry Evans that includes a card revelation with it at the end as the rope comes through your body. The card is seen strung onto the middle of the rope for a double climax.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Hocus Pocus has it, but does anyone have patter that can be used for it?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Patter? You mean what to say? Well, I was on a convention show where Tabary had lectured.

It was McKing and walked on asking if Tabary was in the audience. I said, "I got up to this point (holding the rope up) and am stuck..." then finished the bits with Roped.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » About Professor Cheers Comedy Rope Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL