The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » RETRO MAGIC--Just saw it! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ghostmagician
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of ghostmagician
I bought it--RETRO MAGIC, by Alex Lourido. It's awesome! It's the best magic DVD I have ever seen. I learned more magic (mainly coin magic) in these two dvds than I have learned in the last 6 magic dvds I have purchased from other artists!

I was shocked to see how much magic was on these two dvds, it's packed with one brilliant effect after another! The quality is the highest I have ever seen, also. It really feels as if you are watching a magic special on NBC or something.

Alex performs all of the tricks he's going to teach you before a live audience, then the camera cuts to him on the streets of Philadelphia, in bars, even in super markets, performing magic for passerbyes, who are completely blown away. After the 35 minute magic special, the dvd cuts to the explaination part, where Alex breaks down each effect beautifully.

I hope he keeps up the great work. So far, everything he's come out with has been my favorite magic to perform.
A magician isn't defined by how many tricks he knows, but how well he has mastered them!
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Sounds good. Can you give us more of an idea of the effects taught?

And why is it called "Retro" magic?

Thanks

Adam
SmoothAM
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of SmoothAM
Yeah, more detail on the effect would be great.
ghostmagician
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of ghostmagician
Though all 16 or so effects on both DVDs are awesome, my favorites are: Hydro Static Cups, Match Book Time Machine, Currency Shift, and The Mirror Move. Here's a very quick description of them.

In Hydro Static Cups, you levitate a full cup of water four feet off the ground! Than you vanish the entire cup, instantly! (Surprisingly, this was simple to perform!). In Match Book time Machine, you prove to your spectators that it is posible to travel back into the past, using a simple book of matches. No matter how many times your spectator damages the book of matches (including lighting them) you travel bach into time before their destruction and heal them! The incredible thing is the matches never leave the spactor's site, or hand!

In The Mirror Move, you borrow a quarter, show it completely on all sides, show your hands empty, then proceed to physically stretch out the coin. You end clean with nothing to ditch. This is the greatest coin bending routine I have ever come across, and I've been around! It's so visual and clean that people think you have special powers.
A magician isn't defined by how many tricks he knows, but how well he has mastered them!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I think I will wait for another review to hear what its like.
Charles Adams
View Profile
Regular user
Silver Spring, MD
158 Posts

Profile of Charles Adams
Are you related to Lourido? This sounds more like marketing material than an objective review. LOL
ghostmagician
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of ghostmagician
No, I'm not related to him, but I have met him once, in Wilmington, Delaware, where he lectured. Really cool guy. He took the time afterwards to hang out with us for the rest of the day--something that most magicians at his level would never do. He was really fun to hang with, the type of guy that gets attention everywhere he goes. Not because people recognize him, but because of his personality. Regardless of this, I mean what I say concerning Retro Magic. It is an awesome set of instructional dvds.
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Where can we buy this dvd?
Pease PM me!!!
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
I don't know, but I have a feeling the butter coin dude is behind these messages.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 22:17, zur wrote:
I don't know, but I have a feeling the butter coin dude is behind these messages.

I have to agree with you on that one.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Here is a link to another review: http://insidemagic.com/article_747.shtml.

It's a pretty funny review. It only touches on two or three tricks but seems to like the DVD. I would also like to hear from others who have this dvd. For the record, if you are interested in buying it, Daytona Magic has it for $31.
gdowell
View Profile
New user
Illinois
9 Posts

Profile of gdowell
OK, here is a list of what's on the DVD to give you an idea of the quantity of effects:
Ghost Coin
Hydro Static Cups
Hot girls in bikinis
Match Book Time Machine
Static Coins
Hot girls in bikinis
Currency Shift
Ciggie Penetration
Jumping Jumbos
Hot Girls in bikinis
Tornado Coins
Temporary Solution
Mirror Move
Hot Girls in bikinis
Mirror Move
Stretch Coin
Color changing and flaming lighter
Vox Box
Tarnished
Hot girls in bikinis
The Ultimate Rope
Magic Shop
Hover Card
Impromtu Transposition
Hot girls in bikinis
Instructions for making a drop bag

Some effects are more memorable than others, and some you will need to have the marketed gimmicks/props. All in all, there is a lot of good information on this DVD. It is definitely worth getting. Oh yea, did I mention there are hot girls in bikinis?
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Until I see a review by someone respected like Pete Biro I will not buy into these reviews.
Steinbock
View Profile
New user
Maine
76 Posts

Profile of Steinbock
I'm not sure I get what makes it "Retro."
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Perhaps it's because of the "retro" bikinis.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
O.K. I'm with Zur, I need a formal review, also is this close up and when did it release? ad by the way Zur got them thanks alot.
MGRenal
View Profile
New user
PA,Phili
5 Posts

Profile of MGRenal
Why would some magician use sex to sell his DVD. come on now. somethings fishy! (pun intended)
ghostmagician
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of ghostmagician
Personally, I like hot chicks! Call me crazy! Anyway, as he states in the DVD, one of his main goals was to not only make the two dvds highly informative and instructional, but to posses an entertaining element, as well. I believe he succeeded. No one questions Vegas magicians with all of their scantly dressed assistants.
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
HAHAHHAHAHAH why so many hot babes in bikini's?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Why not?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » RETRO MAGIC--Just saw it! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL