The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregory Wilson "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards" (Review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Before I start this review, I’d just like to say that Gregory Wilson is one of the best magicians I’ve ever seen. Why? Not only is he good technically, but also he’s entertaining. I like how he’s able to make fun of himself and his audience, without making them feel bad. So, with that said, on with the review:

Point Blank:
Phase 1: A card is selected from a blank deck of cards, is lost in the deck, and magically jumps to the top.
Phase 2: This is repeated, and once again the card has jumped to the top.
Phase 3: The card is clearly lost in the deck, but when the magician snaps his fingers, the card appears at the face of the deck (Very visual revelation).
Phase 4: The magician rubs the face of the cards, and just as quickly as the card appeared, it disappears.
Phase 5: An indifferent card is taken and turned into the selected card.
Phase 6: In this phase, the every card in the deck is shown to have transformed into the signed card.
Phase 7: In the next phase of the routine (This is a lot of phases, isn’t it?), the card is produced from the pocket.
Phase 8: For the finale, the signed card is placed aside and the magician signs a card. The two cards are placed together, and one of the signatures is dragged onto the other, so that one card has both signatures, one on each side.

Point Blank is a very unique ambitious card routine. It has 8 phases, each of which is more impressive than the last. Probably the best effect on the video.

9.3/10

Flashback:
Phase 1: A signed card is lost in the deck and jumps to the top.
Phase 2: The card is again very clearly placed into the center of the deck, yet it still comes to the top.
Phase 3: Now, the cards are mixed face-up and face-down, only to magically revert to their original condition.
Phase 4: The joker is removed and caused to change into the signed card.
Phase 5: The signed card visibly changes into an indifferent card.
Phase 6: When the indifferent card is placed on the bottom of the deck, it changes into the joker. The joker is removed from the deck and the deck is shown to have returned to new deck order, even though the cards were mixed previously.
Phase 7: The card case is put away, yet when the magician snaps his fingers near the deck of cards, the case instantly appears back on the deck.

Flashback is performed with an interesting patter in which he explains that the effect is accomplished by using a time machine to make the cards go back in time. The ending is great, but requires a gaff, which he doesn’t even teach how to make (There are however a lot of books that teach it, so you’ll probably just have to look around a bit to find instructions).

8.5/10

Cards To Pocket:
Phase 1: The magician has a spectator select a card, but it turns out to be the same card picked in the last effect. The spectator takes another card, but every time it’s the same card.
Phase 2: A selected card jumps to the magician’s pocket.
Phase 3: The card once again jumps to the magician’s pocket.
Phase 4: The magician covers the selected card with his hand, yet the card still disappears and reappears in his pocket.
Phase 5: This time, the card is placed into the deck, and instead of the card disappearing, the entire deck disappears.

Phases 2 and 3 of Cards To Pocket are not very impressive, but the other three are amazing.

8/10

Lethal Fours: Three cards are removed from the deck, but when they are counted, four are found. This is repeated several times in different ways. Now, the spectator takes back the cards and gives the magician three cards one at a time, yet when the spectator counts the cards, four are found. Not only that, but all four cards are fours. Not only that, but when the magician takes the cards and takes one card away from the four, instead of three cards, there are 15-20+ cards. Not only that, but now the cards don’t even fit inside the box. Instead, the deck is roughly 3 times as thick as it was before.

What can I say about Lethal Fours? It’s a very strong effect. The ending will amaze even your toughest audience.

8.2/10

Straight A’s: The magician shuffles the deck and cuts to an ace. He then does several multiple cuts, cutting to two more Aces at the same time, one in each hand. Several more cuts lead to the fourth and final Ace.

Straight A’s done well is an impressive feat of dexterity. It looks good and is an ideal way to produce the Aces for an Ace routine (Such as the next effect), but performed by itself; Straight A’s isn’t very magical.

7.3/10

Spectator Cuts The Aces: The magician takes the four Aces and inserts them in various parts of the deck. The spectator cuts the deck into four piles, and the magician turns over the top card of each pile, revealing the four Aces.

To me, this is a very poor effect. Although your audience probably won’t know exactly how it’s done, there’s a very obvious move at the end.

6.5/10

FISM Aces: The magician loses the four Aces in the deck. Then, he shoots them out of the deck and catches them in his hand, one at a time. When the last Ace is shot out, the rest of the deck has disappeared, and the magician is left with only the four aces.

I don’t like how Gregory Wilson uses FISM Aces as a closer. It’s a very good effect, but seems to me more like an effect that should be used as an opener, or to start an Ace routine. Unfortunately, since the deck disappears during the effect, you’d have to find a way to reproduce it. A very good effect, but because of the deck disappearing, it’s not practical as an opener, and not suitable as a closer or anything in-between.

8/10

Overall (Not an average):

Overall, as much as I like Gregory Wilson, this is far from his best DVD. There’s a lot of filler, but even so, three of the effects make the DVD worth buying. A good DVD, but if you don’t have them, something like On The Spot or Ring Leader would be much more worthwhile.

7.8/10

This review can also be found on my website (See signature for link).

Also, I need an opinion. Do you guys think my reviews are too detailed? I try to make my reviews as detailed as possible without exposing the secrets? What do you think?

Shane Wiker
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
Personally, I believe your reviews to be some of the best on the net. Don't change a thing, please.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Shane
Great review
Keep up the good work
TJ
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Great review...and I couldn't agree more...However I would've gave Card To Pocket a higher score...It's the only trick I really use from this DVD
~joeKing
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Thanks everyone.

Joeking,

The reason I didn't give Cards To Pocket a higher score was because of phases two and three. Even in the performance, you could tell that the audience knew how it was done.

I'm sure with a few tweaks you could eliminate the need to do them, but with the way Gregory Wilson performs it, I don't think the effect deserves more than an 8. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Shane Wiker
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
You do bring up a good point.

I have adjusted the routine to eliminate the whole bit where he exposes the palmed card...I thought that really took away from the magic of the effect.
~joeKing
dmdk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of dmdk
Good review.
Keep the good work
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't think the 2nd and 3rd phases are weak at all. In fact, showing the audience "how it's done" is a great way to completely destroy them with the next couple of phases. Just my opinion.

I love this video. However, I have not seen Card Stunts and from what I've heard, it's better.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Excellent review!

Would you mind posting more reviews in such high standard for other WIlson's DVDs? Thanks,
Hirase
In love with magic!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Yeah, I'd be interested in your opinions of other Wilson dvd's myself.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Great reveiw Shane.Thank You
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's a Cool Box deal for an hour ( only $10.95 and free world wide shipping ).

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/362
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregory Wilson "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards" (Review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL