The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane 101 DVD and Ultimate Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Murphy.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I am interested in the Cane 101 DVD, but a friend told me that this DVD does not have standard menus to go directly to the desired parts.
Is this right or am I just badly informed?
Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Martin Reinertz
Quote:
On 2006-05-21 10:19, MopKrayz wrote:
I am interested in the cane 101 dvd, but a friend told me that this dvd does not have standard menus to go directly to the desired parts.
is this right or am I just badly informed?

Well, mine does.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Yes, David Mann's does have the chapters with direct play to each chapter.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Alexander Cagliostro
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Cagliostro
I've performed the cane on a full stage with good results. The lighting was arranged with trial and error in the technical rehearsal. Unfortunatly, people at the sides on the front row were able to see flashes of the gimmick.

The routine was however, well received by these people. Apparently the flashes did not spoil their enjoyment of the illusion.

I would like to improve on my staging of the effect though. I was wondering if anyone could help by giving me what the lighting arrangement should be? I will know then how far off the mark I was. You can be reasonably technical in your responses, I would like to know specifics (gel colours, lamp types and levels, positioning etc.)

Also, a question for David, is your cane (with the special gimmick) in stock currently and are you able to ship to the U.K.?

My routine involves some portions which do not involve the gimmick (mime etc.) and your development would be most useful to me.

Yours'

Alexander
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Some general ideas on lighting:

1. Try to avoid lights from the back.

2. Try to have lights only from the front of the stage directed to you, and ditsributed evenly across the stage, avoiding side lights. Why this? This way, the gimmick will look the same from any seat of the theatre. So if it is flashing, you can see it flashing and adjust.

3. I always was very comfortable with blue and red light gels.

4. Stay centre stage, a bit off more to the back.

These are my personal findouts. They work for me, but they are by no means a 100% fix for all situations.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
All products of mine are ready to be delivered.
Alexander Cagliostro
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Cagliostro
Thanks for the help MopKrayz.

Thanks David, this is good news!
I have some specific questions about your product, I will PM you.

Alexander.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks for all your questions Alexander. I hope you like your Cane and DVD.
Dave
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I havn't heard from anyone who has my products in a while and became curious as to whether or not anyone had come up with any new moves? I love to talk about Dancing Cane, so feel free to contact me.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Hey Dave,

I was playing around with the hook up we have talked about, and almost by accident I found an intresting move that I am trying to perfect. It is very similar to the around the body moves with no hands, except it is more dancy, and you can do it all day if you want. The cane never loses momentum. I will have to PM you with details. It's rather fun and kinda knacky. It works somtimes, other times, it just becomes a mess.

-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
You keep at it Seeker! I think your one of the best thinkers when it comes to Dancing Cane.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
The best? O boy...I don't know if I would go that far. Thanks for the compliment though.

-Jacob
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
You suggested on another thread to learn some basic cane handling Techniques with a ordinary cane. Now most wouldn't think of that. Ok, maybe a few. But I think that is a good idea.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Thanks, Its part of the reason I found the dancing cane. I was creating a stage character that was very flashy and uses a cane. I spent a lot of time learning how to twirl the cane on my hand(palm up), how to roll the cane like a coin roll, sliding the cane down my shoulder, ect. I like to try to mix them into my routine I am making. It seems to add some flare, if you will.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 11:12, Seeker wrote:
Thanks, Its part of the reason I found the dancing cane. I was creating a stage character that was very flashy and uses a cane. I spent a lot of time learning how to twirl the cane on my hand(palm up), how to roll the cane like a coin roll, sliding the cane down my shoulder, ect. I like to try to mix them into my routine I am making. It seems to add some flare, if you will.

Now that is excellent!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Not only does it add flare, it makes sense to the character you are creating and to the routine you are putting together. Just having a cane dance for an extended period of time with no rhyme or reason just tends to bore audiences very quickly. We as magicians want to dance the cane too much because we want to show all the great moves we learned. We forget that we need to always keep the audience in mind and use the best moves and tools to create the most entertaining magic we can. Often the most entertainment value in the dancing cane is to minimalize the use of the moves you know. This then starts to create a routine that is not only enjoyable, but fun to watch.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
According to Finn Jon, to use thread on stage, do not dim the lights. Just use bright FRONT LIGHT ONLY! No side, no back, no top lights.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Yah, yes, lighting. This is the one part that I haven't worked with yet. I also read you should perform it up stage and try to stay centered. How close is too close? I mean, yah, if they are standing between me and the cane, I may have an issue.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Pete is right about front lighting only is prefered but if you use back lighting make sure it is much dimmer than the front lighting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane 101 DVD and Ultimate Cane (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL