The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Beheading of John The Baptist Illusion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Denia Bob
View Profile
New user
Denia, Costa Blanca, Espana
7 Posts

Profile of Denia Bob
Is this ancient illusion still performed anywhere do you know?

Bob.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Is this a setup line?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Denia Bob
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Denia Bob
Bill, I come to this forum for advice.

I have seen old illustrations of this illusion, and I am interested in the interaction of Christianity and magic. As I now live in Spain it would be a feasible proposition here.

Bob.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Christianity and Magic... Andre Kole is your man
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have to realize that with the current climate of world conditions, "beheading" is not a good thing. Living in Spain, I figure that you would be even more sensitive to this than we are over here.

Regarding this illusion, unless you really revamp the method, you might as well be doing the ld "levitation under the bedsheet with two long sticks" routine.

It is a very old-fashioned illusion which in its original form would not fool a chimpanzee. The chief difficulty would be in disguising the split in the platter. With decent prosthetic makeup on the "body," and application of some reasonable illusion principles, it would be doable.

Recently, Copperfield and others have done this with a separate box for the head to rest upon.

But much of the presentation depends on the surroundings. Where do you plan to stage it? "Spain" is a rather broad term. Are you going to do it on the streets, in a theatre or in a living room. How are you planning to choreograph the routine. Where do you go with it, once you have the head on the platter.

Is the head going to open its eyes and speak? (a real decapitated head could not speak)

Does this give you enough help?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Denia Bob
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Denia Bob
Thank you Bill. I would perfrm it outside in semi darkness. Lot of events held outside in Spain at fiesta time. In its original mediaeval form. The secret is not of importance as much as the recreation of the illusion in it's middle ages form. The grotesque is normal at fiesta time where fabulous large images, many sexual and religious in content, are burned.

Bob
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This could be very effective under torchlight. Go for it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
Is this similar to the guilotine performed by Simon Drake on the TV show secret caberet in the UK?
He got beheaded and you saw his head roll out of the stocks into a bucket! This was awesome!

Sean
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
If you use a sphinx table, you can have the head and body completely separate.

This sounds like a great opportunity.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 09:26, seanalexander wrote:
Is this similar to the guilotine performed by Simon Drake on the TV show secret caberet in the UK?
He got beheaded and you saw his head roll out of the stocks into a bucket! This was awesome!

Sean

No, this is an illusion that is pictured in Hocus Pocus Jr. and Discoverie of Witchcraft. It uses one table. The headless body is placed on the table with the decaptitated head at the feet.

It is called "The Decollation of John the Baptist."

This is not to be confused with "The Decollatage of Marianne the Ecdysiast."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Simon Drake did do a more up to date version of the the John the Baptist beheading trick on the Farewell Performance Tour of Iron Maiden.
I think you can still get this on tape at Amazon.com
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Beheading of John The Baptist Illusion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL