The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » A way to introduce a close-up pad...maybe... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I remember reading, somewhere on the Café, a discussion regarding the use of close-up pads. Some thoughts were expressed indicating how the close-up pad immediately smacked of gimmickery and how it spoils the illusion of real magic. But, I do like to use it for things like Killer Koin by Paul Harris. So I started thinking about how the pad could be introduced, meaningfully, so it appeared to be more innocent and logical. So, I came up with an equivoque of sorts which is as follows:
I begin by asking whether the spectators would like to see my formal or informal show. If they say "formal," then I say, "Fine. For my formal show, here is my small stage (you can have the spectator examine it to prove there are no trap doors, etc.). Sometimes, I also grab the lapels of my sports coat and flap the two panels indicating that "these are the stage curtains." I say it in an obviously kidding way to get a chuckle. On the other hand, if they say they want to see the informal show, I say, "Fine. For my informal show, you get curtains, and a stage as you see here. However, there will be no orchestra or beautiful assistants." Again, this is said in a kidding sort of way. With either response, I am able to introduce the pad while providing a sort of quasi-rationale for doing so. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but I thought I'd throw it out there FWIW.
Nicholas
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26903 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I used to introduce the thing as as "special" and later produce sponge balls from it (same color).
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Jonathan,
I could see that working, too. In fact, I could imagine that, as a magician, I might be the only one who could see the red balls on the red pad. Others wouldn't be able to see them until I picked them up off of the pad. It is interesting that Rene Levand, when doing the 3 bread crumb routine, uses a fairly large pad. During the routine, he lifts up the corner of the pad to show where some people think he keeps a little gremlin. At that point, he does a
s---l. And, all the while, nobody suspects that the pad has anything to do with anything. Perhaps, we can make anything of it that we wish. Perhaps the general public isn't that suspicious about that sort of thing. In your case, you make the pad, itself, something magical. Why not!!
Nicholas
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
You may want to check out Peter Samelson's "Theatrical Close-up" to see how he incorporates his close-up pad into his formal performance.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Most of the time, I don't use a close-up mat. Upon occasion I will use a mat, but my close-up mat isn't one of those rubber-backed magic props. It's a miniature rug. I introduce it as a Magic Carpet by reciting this Shel Silverstein poem:

I have a magic carpet
That will whiz you through the air,
To Spain or Maine or Africa
If you just tell it where.
So will you let it take you
Where you've never been before,
Or will you buy some drapes to match
And use it on your floor?

This can be very theatrical, under the proper circumstances, of course.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of dpe666
"A way to introduce a close-up pad...maybe..."

Audience, close-up pad. Close-up pad, audience. Smile
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Jim,
Sounds interesting. You have me wondering.
Barry,
Now there's an idea. And, as a side point, I see you are a magician who doesn't mind using some rhyme. That's the kind of thing that fits my style.
dpe666,
Actually, I could get away with that, too. Ha!
Thanks for the ideas.
Nicholas
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dpe666,
Durnit! And here I was going to use that line! LOL!
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Peter,
Perhaps, floating around out there somewhere, there is a strange and haunting take on why the close-up pad. For example, a left over piece of padding from the coffin of a known murderer. Place a sharp object, like a knife, upon it, and it starts to move slightly. In this case, the murderer was a bachelor. I call it, my bachelor's pad.
Nicholas
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Aaaargh, Nicholas! It gets worser and worser! LOL!
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 17:41, Nicholas wrote:
Peter,
Perhaps, floating around out there somewhere, there is a strange and haunting take on why the close-up pad. For example, a left over piece of padding from the coffin of a known murderer. Place a sharp object, like a knife, upon it, and it starts to move slightly. In this case, the murderer was a bachelor. I call it, my bachelor's pad.
Nicholas

I don't feel quite as embarassed about my little poem...
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Perhaps, as a relatively new retiree I've found too much time on my hands. Ha!
Nicholas
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I like both Barry and Nicholas's ideas. I love the mood set by Barry's recital of the poem which also brings up childhood via Silverstein. That's as good a lead in as you're likely to get for skeptics to suspend their disbelief. Nicholas' idea dellivered tongue in cheek could be a terrific use of comedy right off the bat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » A way to introduce a close-up pad...maybe... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL