The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Laurie Ireland Commemorative Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Bill Palmer's company, Adesso Verlag, has just released a new set of cups and balls in cooperation with Magic, Inc. These cups are based on the Laurie Ireland cups, which Ireland Magic Company sold for many years. Later, when Ireland's became Magic, Inc., they continued to sell the cups. In honor of the 50th anniversary of the passing of Laurie Ireland, Bill got permission from Jay Marshall to have these copper cups spun on the same chucks that are used for the aluminum cups that Magic, Inc. sells. I have one of the first sets that came out.

They are slightly taller than the aluminum cups. Bill asked the spinner to lengthen the skirt area slightly so the cups will do the three ball display. They are a medium weight cup. They feel very good in the hands. The design is a traditional one.

The price is quite good, too. A set costs only $70.00. They are available only from Adesso Verlag and Magic, Inc.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Anywhere to view a pic of this? Thanks.
Bernard Sim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. You can go to http://www.adessoverlag.com/cupsandballs.htm . The set is on display there. The same photo is on line at the cups and balls museum as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<They are slightly taller than the aluminum cups>>

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, they are the same height as the aluminum Laurie Irelnad Cups.

I too have these, and must say they are great! I have always liked the Ireland design, but never liked the lightness of the aluminum. With the new design in copper, I find these perfect for a multitude of venues: close up, stage, ren fairs, etc.

Only 50 sets were made, and they may or may not be made again. If you plan on getting a set, I suggest you hurry.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Somebody refresh my memory. Was the Ireland routine written up with sponge balls or crocheted balls? I seem to remember sponge, but I may be getting it confused with his old ad for Sponge & Silver, another somewhat overlooked routine of his.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
I thought it was sponges. I thought the Ireland routine was included with the cups (not the commemerative, the regular aluminum), but I did not get one. Too bad, I was looking forward to it...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'll clear all of this up. The Ireland routine was done with fairly large sponge balls. However, most cup and ball workers these days work with crocheted balls, instead. When I asked about having these made, I was looking for a set of copper cups of reasonably high quality, but a reasonably low price, that would be suitable for people to use when working at Renaissance Festivals. I purchased a set of the aluminum Laurie Ireland aluminum cups from Magic, Inc. These are good cups, but you can't nest them with three crochted balls on top of them.

So I asked the people who spin them to lengthen the skirt by 1/8 of an inch. They did this by moving the shoulder bead up the cup 1/8 of an inch. The cup is the same height, but the attic space has been increased just a tiny bit. All of the moves that were possible with the original Laurie Ireland routine are still possible with these cups, PLUS, you can do all of the standart material as well.

The book with the Ireland routine in it is still available from Magic, Inc. I do recommend it highly. It has lots of clever moves in it.

I furnish a set of load balls, an inexpensive close-up mat and an inexpensive wand with each set, as well as a booklet from Royal magic on how to do the cups and balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Plus he also gives you GREAT customer service...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks, David!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
I really like my Laurie Ireland cups. They have a good feel to them and still have the traditional look.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I just got received my set of cups and I must say I don't know how Bill Palmer does it for the price. With the price of magic cups today closing in on $100 for beginner's metal sets and passing four figures for the high end sets, these represent an incredible value. And, I'm not even considering that they come with crocheted balls, load balls, a pad, a wand and an instruction book (not sheet, book!)

My understanding is that the production will be limited. I'd really urge everyone to spend a paltry $70.00 and get a set of these.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
John:

Thanks for the kind words. If I'd had to pay for the tooling, I would not have been able to produce these cups for this price. However, since the chucks were already done, all I had to pay for was the metal and the spinning. If I were wholesaling these out to other people, I would have to double the price.

I wanted a set of good traditional cups to sell at my Renaissance Festival lectures.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Where are you going to be doing your lecture?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Laurie Ireland Commemorative Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL