The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg- video source? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I have Ammar's big book, and also have the Tarbell course in Magic so I know the routine. Does anyone know of a video source for someone preforming the silk to egg? I thought I had it on tape, but I can't find anything.

Im thinking about working with this old effect once again.

thanks,

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It may be old but it is full of laughs, magic, and applause. I do not know of any video source for this effect. There are may different ways of handling the props, but I think the original Max Sterling is the best.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I believe it is on one of Duane Laflin's videos. He has a website.

j.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Ammar did it in an early Steven's Magic video, way back when he had hair. I finally found some of my personal notes on the effect- guess I should have waited another day to post a question. You can still buy the tape on Steven's website for $30.

I'll look into the Duane Laflin's video though, and I don't have anything relating to Max Sterling in my library. I don't think that I have heard of him. Is he a part of Sterling Magic?

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sterling made a unique egg for this trick the inside was a real egg with plastic covering. Sterling had a shop in St. Louis. If you want I can email you the Sterling routine. Cleanest handling of all of them. I have all I can find and this is still the best.

Brad Hall
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Ok
40 Posts

Profile of Brad Hall
I believe that Lance Burton does this in his DVD "Lance Burton - Secrets of Magic". It's available from Amazon for about 12 bucks.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Duane Laflin demonstrates this in his "Sensational Silk Magic" DVD. Also, I believe Robert Baxter has the Silk to Soda Can trick as an alternative to this classic.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
400 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I'm submitting this here as well because I'm sure as to where I might get replies. I’ve been interested and have been creatively thinking about approaching this routine in a simplistic, straightforward manner and thought I would share it with others to see what input you may have.

Rather than using a switch in the second part, why not bring out from the side coat pocket, in the left hand, in a concealed manner to the audience, a flexible thumbtip and the real egg. The audience already assumes that to begin with that you already have something concealed in your hand because of the first part of the routine demonstrating the putting of the silk into the fake egg.

If necessary, take a smaller silk, i.e., 9” and push it into the thumbtip (pretending to push it into the “fake” egg).

You’re completely clean and can dump the thumbtip. If you wish, you can bring out a wand and tap the egg. You can then roll the real egg around in your left hand explaining to the audience that you want to make sure that they don’t reveal the opening in the egg with the red silk showing through the hole in the egg; otherwise, this is a dead give away as to where the silk located. Proceed to peel the sticker off and break the egg.

Tell me what you think (pros/cons). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Does this have merit/ potential?
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Snidini
A to Z, I think you are on to something. I like it!
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1154 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 20:36, Magic from A to Z wrote:
I'm submitting this here as well because I'm sure as to where I might get replies. I’ve been interested and have been creatively thinking about approaching this routine in a simplistic, straightforward manner and thought I would share it with others to see what input you may have.

Rather than using a switch in the second part, why not bring out from the side coat pocket, in the left hand, in a concealed manner to the audience, a flexible thumbtip and the real egg. The audience already assumes that to begin with that you already have something concealed in your hand because of the first part of the routine demonstrating the putting of the silk into the fake egg.

If necessary, take a smaller silk, i.e., 9” and push it into the thumbtip (pretending to push it into the “fake” egg).

You’re completely clean and can dump the thumbtip. If you wish, you can bring out a wand and tap the egg. You can then roll the real egg around in your left hand explaining to the audience that you want to make sure that they don’t reveal the opening in the egg with the red silk showing through the hole in the egg; otherwise, this is a dead give away as to where the silk located. Proceed to peel the sticker off and break the egg.

Tell me what you think (pros/cons). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Does this have merit/ potential?

Dear A to Z, now to fully milk this you might want to place the black hole sticker on your forehead while people are amazed by the real egg, and then finish by producing the silk through the hole in your forehead. That's why I use a black silk and a black sticker.

Regards

Jan
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I wonder how effective the gaffed eggs, where you break them open, with small audience. I am talking about 2 to six feet in a living room.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I used the original Sterling until I dropped it and broke. Since I have used an homemade one from Mork and Mindy bubble gum, Viking, and the eggactly model. They all perform well. I have done this trick in many living rooms with great results. Breaking the egg at the end proves it is a real egg!!!

Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Do you think this effect would play well in an auditorium for approximately 400 people? I've been doing this for years and have always done it for smaller audiences. If anyone has tried this for a larger audience I would appreciate your feedback.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:

As a matter of record: I recall George Sands using a thumb tip as part of his silk to egg routine many, many years ago. I do not, however, know if this handling is/was his originally???
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Karrell Fox used to do a sucker silk to egg with no gimmicks whatsoever - work it out for yourselves.

Superb entertainment and a great easy clean routine.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
400 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of milking the routine fully with the black sticker to the forehead. How do you get rid of the black sticker from the forehead without being obvious in removing it? If anyone uses or plans to use a thumbtip for this portion of the effect, would you please post your comments (pros and cons)?... Thanks....
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Ammar's routine on the Sterling video is superb. Been doing it for years! The kicker at the end with the silk coming out of the forehead is beautiful!!! Good luck.
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
244 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Another alternative method is by Dick Zimmerman. I think it is called Zimmeregg. It does not require a switch and is basically self contained. I have used this and Ammar's version. I like the Zimmerman one best. It is available through most good dealers.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1653 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:

I've been using this routine with a TTfor silk to egg for about 3 years now! I also use a storyline Guide from Michael Ammar etc.

Reactions are very strong and you are right you finish clean at the end!

It's a very strong routine. I liked it originally because I was having trouble with hand switches & palming. I recently showed this at a performance and the world president of IBM who was watching said it was one of the better routines he had seen, very clean and entertaining to boot!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-01-10 16:12, Tony S wrote:
Do you think this effect would play well in an auditorium for approximately 400 people? I've been doing this for years and have always done it for smaller audiences. If anyone has tried this for a larger audience I would appreciate your feedback.

I see the silk to egg as a stage effect and I have done it in living room private shows. I have never done it close up. I use an 18" silk for this presentation. I see no reason why you could not use one of the new diamond silks in this effect. The larger your audience the larger the silk should be.

The TT and egg handling is in the Encylopedia of Egg effects.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg- video source? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL