The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Opinions Please (aka Has the Jury reached a Verdict?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, as I write, Scott Peterson's life is still in the hands of the jury. Life behind bars, or the chair.

What do you think? Should they send him off to meet Bubba, or fry him like an egg? (Don't let the fact that he cut off his wife's arms and head influence you while coming to your verdict!)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Hard to say since there was no real evidence saying that he did it.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I don't think he will have a chance to see Bubba because he will most likely be put in solitare. As far as "Frying" him, I don't think they will do that since as Micheal say's, they really only don't have any "real" evidence on him.
I think he will get two life sentences (one for each victim) that way if some hard evidence should come in to prove him innocent he can then be let free from prison and get on with his life (and his book). If no such evidence comes in then he will just sit and rot in prison. Either way, justice will be served.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ojay he is NOT!
Hekate
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Hekate
Looks like death in the chamber............once his appeals run out.
"It was magical. And excruciating....which made it all the more magical"
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I wish we could go back to courtyard hangings. I am not totally serious, however, I think that there are way too many chances for appeals. What good is a death penalty if you never use it? Texas has the right idea. Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 23:43, dpe666 wrote:
I wish we could go back to courtyard hangings. I am not totally serious, however, I think that there are way too many chances for appeals. What good is a death penalty if you never use it? Texas has the right idea. Smile

Unless you happen to one of the seven (so far) innocent people who were wrongly convicted in Texas that were sitting on death row.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
"What good is a death penalty if you never use it?"

What good is the death penalty if you DO use it?

It's been shown to not be a deterrent and actually states with the death penality have higher murder rates then non-death penality states, do you think that is because all the serial killers are intentionally moving to pro-death states so they can be fried?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, thr news was on this morning. He's going to san Quenton wherehe will have the choice between lethal injection or the gas chamber.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-12-14 06:13, daffydoug wrote:
Well, thr news was on this morning. He's going to san Quenton wherehe will have the choice between lethal injection or the gas chamber.

He has at least 600 inmates ahead of him and at the average rate of 1 a year, I don't think he has much to worry about.
I still think he will get two life term sentences (the Judge can lower the sentence).
Peterson better hope he gets the death sentence to stick because if he gets life he very well may be put in general population and then he will not only have to worry about Bubba wanting a date but someone may want to give him the death sentence (prison justice can be pretty harsh).
Iven Smile
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
Heh, yes, here in Texas, we get a bit of heat for the death penalty. The common arguments for it are not as moral as you might think (which also happens to be why the "against" side is gaining ground in the debate). The "for" side uses arguments like, the jails are crowded (which, God knows they are), it costs too much to keep inmates and that this is sort of a "clean-out" job (albeit a cruel one). The "against" side uses all of the moral arguments, mostly the fact that death sucks (which, admittedly it does).

As for me, my solution is...

free the geriatrics and stop throwing people in prison for 3-week crimes. We have a drunk driving law which puts you in jail for a week, or a day, or something like that. This means that we need to have so many open cells just in case. Get rid of some of these punishments and the money problem goes away (which is the main argument of the "for" side). Also, there are men in their 70's, 80's, and 90's in jail. They get free health care and all that other good stuff (which is paid for out of our pockets). So, you free the geriatrics when they are deemed that they are no longer a threat to society (how could they be, they can barely stand). This will clear out a lot of the room in the jails, put more money into the public and might even render the death penalty obsolete.

what do you think?
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Interesting thought tropicalpenguin but we will have to take care of the "geriatrics" or at least most of them if we let them go because I would imagine that many if not most of them have no place to go. I guess we would have the choice of more homeless (and helpless) people on the streets or more in the jails.
Iven Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What's the recidivism rate amoung the geriatrics...anyone have any idea?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Dickens once observed that the greatest distraction for a pickpocket to ply his trade was when the crowd was watching the public hanging of a pickpocket.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Society cannot stop crime. Society cannot even deter it. However, society DOES have ways to prevent a criminal from perpetrating again. It just chooses to not use those ways. Many are put into jails or prisons where they continue to commit crimes against others. These crimes range from stealing, to robbbery, to assaults, and even more. The druggies still get their drugs and the rapists continue to rape. The only true way to prevent someone from commiting more heinous crimes is to eliminate them from society. Either by expulsion (kick them out of the country and revoke their citizenship) or removal from this plane of existence (to be reserved for the truly horrid acts). Anything else depends solely on the criminal to "learn" from their incarceration not to commit crimes.

BTW, I am all for the death penalty. I say use it, TWICE!
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3222 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
With a death penalty, some innocent people have been executed, and inevitably more innocent people will be executed. It's the law of large numbers at work. In a sufficiently large population and/or over a sufficiently long enough time, what seem to be unlikely coincidences are actually highly likely. Thus eventually people who are convicted and executed on what seems to be convincing circumstantial evidence will actually be innocent.

Then, of course, there are crooked police, lawyers, and judges. All of these have existed. (I do want to acknowledge that the vast majority of people in these professions aren't crooked, but it only takes a few).

Locking first-degree murderers up for life would eliminate the problem too and it's actually cheaper than the existing process, which goes on for years in the courts.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-12-14 21:03, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Dickens once observed that the greatest distraction for a pickpocket to ply his trade was when the crowd was watching the public hanging of a pickpocket.

Steve

Love It! Smile
Where can I find this? In "Oliver"?
Iven Smile
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
As for the 'geriatrics;' we do know that the VAST majority of crimes are committed by males between the ages of 15 and 45.

We know that statistically, a very small percentage of the population accounts for nearly all violent crime.

The theory we try to operate under in our jurisdiction is that of 'incapacitation;' if you remove those 15 to 45 year-old males who have proven that they 'don't play well with others' from society, there will be less crime. This was the idea behind the "3-Strikes" law.

We have found serious crime is down significantly in California since the inception of '3-Strikes' in 1994. Some will argue that '3-Strikes' had little or nothing to do with this, but the fact remains that serious crime is actually down.

Unfortunately, we are somewhat schizophrenic as a society; California voters approved 'Proposition 36' in 2000; preventing the incarceration of drug offenders, but mandating 'treatment.' However, no funds were allocated for treatment, meaning that woefully underfunded, overworked social agencies have become swamped with everything from the recreational drug user to hardcore addicts. (Meaning that very little useful 'treatment' is being administered.

Many of us predicted that non-violent property crimes would soon increase as more addicts were on the streets looking for ways to support their habits.

As we predicted, non-violent property crimes are up over the last two years.

Also, we know there is a large demographic 'bubble' of teenagers who are just reaching their 'peak crime years.' This does not bode well for the future.

What's the solution?

I really don't know. I can see both sides of the argument. Trying to prevent individuals from becoming criminals in the first place makes sense, but what do we do with those who are already misanthropic monsters? The history of 'corrections' has taught us that very few serious/violent offenders can be 'cured.'

I CAN say that I see the worst society has to offer on a daily basis, and I agree with Richard Pryor that I'm very glad we have prisons to put them in.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Richard Pryor: "Why did you kill everybody in the house?"

Pryor as Convict: "They were home." Smile
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Dpe,
That criminal needed to meet one of those things that really goes "BUMP" in the night. Or even one that goes "BANG".
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Opinions Please (aka Has the Jury reached a Verdict?) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL