The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gold Palming Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I have the silver dollar size Nielsen's, which are also silver colored. I'm looking for the same size/type coin except gold-colored. Is there such an animal?

Thanks,

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
You could have coins gold plated. I once had a jeweler friend do that for me.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Thanks, Darrin. I was considering that. Do jeweler's normally do that sort of thing or is that a specialty?
Shakespeare
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Gold electroplate is not particularly expensive . . . Thomas Wayne might be able to help you.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Do an advanced search on Google.com for the exact phrase "coin reproductions."
Many sources are listed. You may find your answer. At the very least, you will find opportunites for some creative thinking.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Hey there,

There was a guy doing street magic in England, John Lenahan(sp?) and he gold plated nielsen palming coins.

So give that a try.

Corey B
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-09-07 02:06, Mike Robbins wrote:
Thanks, Darrin. I was considering that. Do jeweler's normally do that sort of thing or is that a specialty?

Mike,

Call 277-7338 and ask for Mike (owner, Anchorage Jewelry Supply). If they don't do plating anymore, they can send you to someone who will. The previous owner, Pat, used to offer this service.

Alternately, Blaines Art Supply (561-5344) has a material that can be rubbed onto various surfaces to give them a Gold "patina"; I suspect it will rub off over time and may require re-application on a regular basis.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Thanks. There's also a place in Wasilla I'll be calling.

Mike

As a follow up. I did get in touch with a firm that does gold-plating and saw the first sample today. It looks great. Apparently, because of the type of metal they have to run it through twice. It's costing me $6 a coin.

Mike
Shakespeare
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Quote:
I did get in touch with a firm that does gold-plating and saw the first sample today. It looks great. Apparently, because of the type of metal they have to run it through twice. It's costing me $6 a coin.

Actually, they do plate the coins twice.

They plate them with nickle, then plate them with gold.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
I had a half plated at the mall. I found that the color difference isnt good because it is very subtle. Also, the gold has worn off on Kennidy's nose. I use an entirly different coin - i.e. a Chinese coin - for spellbounds.
-Casey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gold Palming Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL