The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why centre tear? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-12-16 22:01, Darko Dojin wrote:

By general consensus Derren is, at the very least, a good performer. Let's turn this around. Why do you think Derren is NOT a brilliant performer?

I simply asked him to explain how he thought Derren was a brilliant performer. And from that simple question you assumed I thought the opposite.

Let's try this: you ask me my opinion of Derren. After I answer, then you may feel free to comment on it.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
Fine. Enlighten me then. What is your opinion of Derren?
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-12-16 22:31, Darko Dojin wrote:
Fine. Enlighten me then. What is your opinion of Derren?

I think Derren is a great entertainer -- both in performance and in print. I don't hold that opinion of many people in magic or mentalism. Like David Blaine, he's carved a niche for himself and has become famous for it; would-be clones trip over themselves to be like him; and he's polarized our little world -- I don't run into many people who are wishy-washy about their opinion of him. That's remarkable and well earned.

I also happen to think he's a nice fellow, too.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Oh it doesn't matter Berger, we both believe we are right. The '20 or so responses' I received built my confidence, assuring me that writing something down will not be obvious or criticised by the spectators-which is what I wanted.
aaguilar007
View Profile
Regular user
México
106 Posts

Profile of aaguilar007
I’ve also wonder why would you ask them to write the name in a piece of paper, only to rip it. I’ve come with a good explanation to my spectators about this, which also adds credibility to my "special talents".

I tell them, as I’m ripping it (CT to peek the name), to name several words that best describe this person. I lay the ripped pieces of paper in the table, and never look at them again. I write the words they are naming on a separate piece of paper, and keep asking to name more words describing this guy, until all words given contain one letter of the name, like this:

Let’s say, for example, they wrote the name Louis and they are naming the following words:

Responsible (you underline leeter "O")
Unique (you underline leeter "U")
Handsome (you underline leeter "S")
Likable (you underline leeter "I")
Talented (you underline leeter "L")

I tell them to stop naming words, since I now have a very good feeling about their chosen name.

That little “exercise” would give you the following results: o-u-s-i-l. latter I will explain them that, in my mind, I just re-arranged those letters into the name Louis, which was the most common thing to do, since you don’t think that there is a fellow on this good earth named Ousil.

I then proceed to explain them that the reason I asked them to write the name on a piece of paper, is because as they write it down, some part of their subconscious (or brain, whatever suits you best) holds that name and makes them gutturally emphasize the words contained in it, unnoticed to them.

I then show them the paper which I used to write the words they gave me, telling them that they gutturally emphazised certain letter in each word (the letters that Iunderlined), thus proving that what I just did was not magic, but logic, since I’ve trained my brain to perceive and notice things that most people wont. This adds credibility to your next effects.

Make sure to tell them that you can’t explain to them other effects, because they are way advanced and sometimes you don’t even understand them!!

At this part, no one should even remember that you tore the paper, and if they do, just tell them that the ripping per se is not important, but the action of you destroying their chosen name is what triggers the brain to “subliminally get hold of the name”.

I hope this was clear my friends, since I don’t have time to practice my English very often. Feel free to PM me if you need more clarifying.

Best,

Alfredo
México
“If you can make another person’s reality into something wonderful, you can do real magic”.

Richard Osterlind
Making Real Magic
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Excellent presentation and misdirection for the CT.

Is this your creation or is it sourced?
aaguilar007
View Profile
Regular user
México
106 Posts

Profile of aaguilar007
Thanks green4magic.
As far as I know is mine, but coincidences do happen! LOL. I hope it was clear, since I`ve explained it, my english is not too good!! feel free to use it, since it has given me the best results.

Merry Christmas and Best of New Years.

Alfredo
“If you can make another person’s reality into something wonderful, you can do real magic”.

Richard Osterlind
Making Real Magic
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
My reasoning for having them write it, is simply to tell them to write the person's name so that everyone else can see what they're thinking of. Surely this makes perfect sense?? I have never been questioned on it.

This fits my style rather than having to touch it to get vibrations, or ripping it in disgust so they can write it again - I feel this places too much heat on the paper.

It couldn't be more logical - they write a name to show it to everyone, I rip it up to get rid of the evidence, while making some guesses as to the nature of person, hand it back, and tell them a letter they are thinking of, who the person is in relation to them, then the name.

This works for me - people seem convinced that I can read their minds, not that I can do a trick with paper. This is how it should be.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why centre tear? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL