The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Eugene Poinc reference (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gary Scott
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Gary Scott
Hi there,

My first post on the magic Café...how bizarre?...( all pun intended! )

In the Euegene Poinc routine, Where vampires meet, he refers to a silk cabby. I have never heard of a silk cabby. Anybody know what one is as I really like the thought of performing this...without the Wizard of Oz though..

Best wishes
Gary Scott
Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing!

Steve Martin/William shakespere

Living a dream and living an illusion, the difference is merely.....desire!
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
437 Posts

Profile of scolman
Gary, these are very easy to come by - I bought mine from http://www.themagicwarehouse.com (do a search on silk cabby)
The effect involves a couple of silks being pushed into a small wooden chest. The silks then vanish from the box and reappear in a larger wooden cabinet, knotted onto a wand that runs through the middle.

I have been looking to use this in a bizarre routine for some time now - where is the Poinc routine? Is it in "The Practitioner".
Simon
Gary Scott
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Gary Scott
Hi scolman,

The poinc routine for ' When vampires meet' is on his website via http://www.thelearnedpig.com

Where did you hear about this routine?..as Poinc's is very different than what you describe, although the silks and cabby are still involved.

Best wishes
Gary scott

I see that the Silk Cabby comes in 3 different price ranges. Should I pay for the $70 box...or go back and purchase the $30 box. What I like about the $70 box is the fact that it is already 'coffin' like. The $30 dollar box looks like it would need a lot more work to produce a nice piece of performing apparatus.

Best wishes
Gary Scott

Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
437 Posts

Profile of scolman
Hi Gary, I would definitely go more expensive. You know what magic props are like - you definitely get what you pay for. I haven't heard of the presentation you refer to from Poinc. I was going to use my cabby to vanish and reappear a locket or talisman. Still trying to think up a relevant story though.
Something in Sheherazade has tickled my fancy....
Simon
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Is Marko still updating the learnedpig website? I thought he didn't update it for years now...

Also is Eugene Poinc still alive? For some reason I was thinking he passed away couple years ago. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
BrainMagos,
Gene died just over two years ago.
Well, they say he died.
I don't believe it.
After all, Elvis is selling Cadillacs in Omaha and the NLT is being bizarre in Biarittz. Or somewhere.
(Seriously, though, the NLT is deceased; he died two years ago this summer in hospital in L.A. He was in his early 70s.)
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 18:34, BrainMagos wrote:
Is Marko still updating the learnedpig website? I thought he didn't update it for years now...

I don't know, I lost my original login and tried to get a new password or login to no avail.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
BrainMagos writes: "Is Marko still updating the learnedpig website? I thought he didn't update it for years now... "

I don't know how often you mean "is he updating it" but it's certainly more often than "years".
Actually, recently, he has just added another large number of books that are in the public domain.
Gary Scott
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Gary Scott
Hi Peter,

Nice to see you here..lol...

Best wishes
Gary Scott

Gary Scott
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Gary Scott
Ok. It's been 8 years. Wow. I finally managed to do the silk cabby routine and it worked wonderfully well. This was back in 2005/6. Now can somebody tell me how to access Eugene Poincs website?... I wanted to gather as much info as possible and get back to those bizarre and wonderful routines, but the learned pig is kinda not around. Can anybody help me out? Where is the Eugene Poinc website now?

Best wishes
Gary Scott

lin
View Profile
Special user
California
816 Posts

Profile of lin
Try inquiring at Lybrary.com. I believe they have acquired the Learned Pig content.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
He was a dear friend, and Peter I fear it’s been quite a bit longer than two-years, July 23, 2002. I recorded a historical testimonial that can be found as a podcast on the DragonSkull website.

Gene does not have a website and never did, his computer knowledge was limited and his computer itself was an antique.

His family still owns the rights to his effects but does not care to lay any claims to them. I’m sure he’d be honored to have his pieces performed again. …Just do them well or he WILL come and get you!

I had the honor of presiding at his memorial services at the Magic Castle and the ICBM Gathering on the East Coast, where we performed his Borden Bunnies and Phoenix piece. I was also invited to help catalogue the magic he left behind to donate to a youth magic club.

On a related note!!!
Very soon Leaping Lizards is publishing Gene’s last book, Merlin Unmasked, as a hardcover, limited edition, coffee table book. It’s Gene at his deranged best.

Magically, Bro. Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
It's been a long time since I dropped in, so "hello", and I hope my friends in the Café are well.

Walt, excellent news about the book. I look foreward to it. Thanks for bringing me some good news.
Beware of this and that.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Terrific news Walt, did his family finally decide to share? I suspect you may have had a role in this? Just great!

Michael! Missed you this year--OG next year?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Long story Balaram…
Gene wanted this last (irreverent) book published in hardcover as a “coffee table” book. He commissioned a very young publisher to do the book and it came out spiral bound on typing paper. Gene went nuts and exploded (though he later forgave the lad and they were on friendly terms.)

He had the book pulled and that seemed to be that. I had one of a small handful of copies that got out (flamingly signed by Gene) and that led to a hunt for the original publisher who by default still owned the rights. He was happy to transfer them to Leaping Lizards… who has had their own long saga in trying to get the book to press.

What will be published is of high quality on fine paper, with duplicate unbound pages suitable for framing. I think after all the fuss and falderal Gene would be mollified at last.

Some of Gene's close friends including Kotah have worked with Dean to develop this project and fulfill Poinc's doctrines and edicts <grin.>

Bro. Walt

The full title of the book is:
“Merlin Unmasked - A Shocking Exposé ! The Most Important Book of This Century or of any Other.”
http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/csspa......sked.htm
by Walt Anthony

fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
Walt, the brief story of how this happened is very interesting. Thanks for letting us in on it.

Balaram, I missed you and the rest of the group as well. My wife and I had intended to come until a few days before the event, and I am very sorry we couldn't make it. I hope to make it back soon.
Beware of this and that.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Merlin Unmasked By Eugene Poinc

AFTER MANY DELAYS- This Book is at the printer, and will be ready to ship July 23rd, 2012!

Those of you who know the late great Eugene Poinc will be very interested to hear about this reprint of his very last book, the way he intended it to be.

But there is more..... IN ADDITION to the hardcover book, you will receive prints of each of the pieces of art, suitable for framing!

Numbered Limited Edition (only 100 of 125 will be sold)
Hardcover book, PLUS the separate prints.

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/merlin_unmasked.htm
by Walt Anthony

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I have to order one of these myself. I'm not sure where my copy of the DL edition is.
I remember Gene going crazy on the phone about this book.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Tony …Gene was already thought crazy by some…
so he did not need to "go crazy" if he was firmly planted there.

However, wiser heads have prevailed, and acknowledged his mad genius…
wisdom only accessible from "Another Planet" Poinc.

I could not be more excited about the book…
If only to get Madame Grodznoya off my back,
and to silence those bothersome miserable Twins!

You (and a few others know of where I speak.)
…Order at once or face the grim metaphysical consequences.

Magically, Walt
by Walt Anthony

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Eugene Poinc reference (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL