The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What introductions do you hate/love? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I absolutely dread the MC who says, "Okay, the magician's up next. Take a few minutes to go the the restroom and we'll start in 5 minutes."

First, I want them to introduce ME, not "a magician." Secondly, if someone has to visit the restroom, they can; I don't need someone giving an invitation to clear the room right before I'm to go on ... because it can be a real chore to get everyone settled in again.

Now, as for GOOD intros, I feel uncomfortable putting words into someone else's mouth. I'd rather they just turn it over to me, and I'll take care of introducing myself.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Well I fixed this problem a LONG time ago. I just simply do NOT have them introduce me at all. I tell them that I can solve their MC problem by doing it myself. I have it all planned out as part of my program and my show.

The people LOVE it because it is one less thing they have to worry about and I meet and solve a need that they had.

I LOVE it because I do not have to wait for that dredful dead intro that does NOTHING to enhance my show or get the audience ready for the magical journey. I do it all myself and it has worked perfectly for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Yes, I have to say Kyle has come up with an excellent solution; I recently had Café member Doug Higley make a professional introduction (on CD) for me, and plan to go that route too.

I really try to be proactive on just about everything and try to anticipate problems before they ever exist. Taking care of your own intro is an excellent way to avoid problems from the get-go.

Ron
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I once had a guy take my one page bio from the program for a fund raiser and read that. It took forever and by the time I went out there, I just knew everyone must have thought I had an inflated ego to have such a long intro.

I now give them a one line intro.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
My pet hate is the word conjurer, it's made we gringe in the past when some old lady introduces me by saying, "Now boys and girls if you sit nicley Emazdad is going to do some cunjuring tricks for us". This normally happened at fetes and the occassional school.

Now like Kyle I generally do it myself.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Well maybe not so much as an intro but I HATE when the usually principal or teacher at a school says........ok kids you better be good or the magician is going to make you disappear!
ugh I hate that, I mean there are some kids in the audience that have no idea what a magician does and they are already scared!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The problem is the person feels like they HAVE to introduce you and they MUST do so. In most cases they do not want to do this at all. They do it thinking we as performers require it.

I have found that I can offer a solution to them by telling hem not to worry, I have it taken care of and that it is a part of the intro build-up to my show.

They are often so relieved that they are more then happy to allow me to handle it myself. This not only makes it easier for me, but it helps my show get off to a great start and not bring the audience down.

I have it all burned to a CD and have different tracks and intros for various events I perform at. It makes it fast, easy and gets the audience where I need them to be.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I'm with Kyle; I do it myself.

No one knows me as well as I know me.

Besides, the people who do this sort of thing generally don't want to do it, are untrained, and have no idea what to say.

If it has to be done by someone else (like at a magic convention, for example), I write out my own into and give it to the MC.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
As Peter states, I think people truely think that they HAVE to introduce you. They feel that you expect them to. They do not want to do it but they do the best they can.

As a solutions provider who always is finding ways to HELP my clients, I know this is an area that I can xolve a need of theirs and make my show look better at the same time. It is a win-win situation that they are happy to oblige by.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
As I said in my original post, I prefer to do it myself. The problem is, they don't always want to let you do it! Also, if someone is already speaking -- for example, giving out awards or such prior to the show (another pet peeve!) -- they feel obligated to say something before turnign the stage over to you.

As a rule, I don't like canned, pre-recorded intros as mentioned earlier. They seem too formal for a lot of small or informal events, and they really look awkward for small events when there is no backstage, and you're standing just a few feet from them as your intro is being played.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
A lot of the time the kids have been watching me set up, and I've been chatting to them anyway so by the time I start it's a natural progression from setup to show.

Ref, your toilet comments Starrpower,

At pre-schools I always get the staff to do a toilet run with the kids before they sit down, experience taught me that.
If you don't during the show one will put his/her hand up and say "I need a wee" this is closly followed by "so do I" "so do I" "so do I" "so do I" "so do I" "so do I" and the show has to stop while your whole audience nips to the loo.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Or even better the one kid you pick as a helper starts doing the dance, luckily they are at that age were you can ask them if they have to use the facilities without making them feel bad! just happened today actually!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
They do say that one of the signs you've made it in this business is when the kids get up to leave there is a puddle.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
LOL up yeaaaaaaaaaaa I could think of much better ways to think I have made it
"Ok kids now I will magically make this rowboat appear and paddle my way out of here"
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
My most hated intro occurred at an awards banquet for some mentally/behaviorally challenged. They had every one up by giving out the bowling trophies and then right before my performance had a special announcement of a death of one of the residents at the group home.

Young adults in shock, weeping and wailing, people locked in emotional embraces and then,..."Now for some entertainment here is Frank the magician."

I do my own.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
I've always thought it might be fun to have the MC say the following in a very formal and dramatic tone:

"And now ladies and gentlemen, a man who needs no introduction!"

:lol:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I agree--better to do the introduction yourself. I don't do many shows, and do not have any kind of stage name. For some reason, people want to make up something that starts "The GREAT...." and ends with some version of my name with "--ini" or "---oni" attached.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
"The Great Flimnarini!"

/I for one like it! Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
D.J.'s intro's I always dread.

Some are terrible. They do the the thing Flimnar described of addng bits to your name. The worse one I had was about half a year ago. Rather than use my amp we decided we might aswell use the sound system already set-up so we where both plugged in to the same system. Firstly I got a rather rambling obscure intro then on several occasions the DJ saw fit to insert his own jokes (with his mike) into my show!! I perhaps, could have tolerated this if they where well-timed witty asides but he was mostly just repeating jokes that happened within the routine, such as "ha,ha,ha look at that it was stuck to his back all along".
Afterwards, he came up to me and said how much he enjoyed the show so maybe he just got a little carried away in all the excitement, bless...
George
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I just personally will always do my own intro and I have never had a problem with it as long as I bring it up with the client ahead of time. I get them excited by telling them my intro is really a key element to the successful start of my show and it builds up to my opening number.

I ask them if it would be ok if I did the intro my way as it would add more value to the experience and they can sit and relax and enjoy in the fun. I have never had a problem when approached in this matter.

Of course, I have different intros depending on the various venues and markets I work.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What introductions do you hate/love? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL