The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Hiding the Elephant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Hey, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the new Jim Steinmeyer book "Hiding the Elephant - How magicians invented the impossible"?
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Though I have not read the book, I was surprised to find that it is in the local public library.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
I read it last spring or early in the summer sometime. I remember enjoying it but decided not to lend it to non-magician friends as Steinmeyer, not surprisingly, does discuss illusion principles at some length. Sorry Jim.

The Rise of the Indian Rope Trick by Peter Lamont is also very entertaining and I wouldn't hesitate to hand that out to laypeople.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The books was informative, insightful, interesting .. and a snore if you are a layperson. It is quite intriguing to follow the history and progression of some magic principles, but a non-magician would probably not get through it.
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
I really liked the book! Jim really know what he is talking about when it comes to explaining magic's principles in a way that wouldn't harm anyone's effects at the moment. The book would be great for anyone who just wants to know why magic works not just how it works. Anyone who will actually take the time to read the book will not be disapointed!

Cheers,

Cameron Fisk
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
This book is now available in paperback for around $15 list price--probably cheaper on the net.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
I also found "Hiding The Elephant" in our local library system, and I found it a fabulous read.

Particularly I enjoyed learning about David Devant, the magician who always said his magic was done by kindness.
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I finally got hold of "Hiding The Elephant" as a Christmas present and think it is absolutely terrific. An entertaining, thorough historical analysis of the effects concerned, the pacing is fantastic as Jim guides us through his own passion-fuelled research (love the chapter where he and Alan Wakeling gradually pieced together the clues of Morrit's "Disappearing Donkey").

He does explain illusion principles, he also thoroughly backs up his reasons for doing so and thoroughly discusses the philosophy of magic, the importance of performance and the "empty safe" that magicians guard. This is no tabloid exposé; the feeling left isn't "it's easy once you know how", as is the case with more populist exposures, instead the reader is left in awe of the journey, the passion and the thought that went into each effect. The Yah-Boo brigade will probably find the whole thing too much effort and stick to their "Blaine Copperfield Secrets 4 U" e-books, which is unfortunate because this is exactly the sort of writing that should be required reading for anyone who just doesn't get it. As well as for magicians wanting a thorough historical analysis of the principles they use.
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I loved it soo much. It was interesting and I learned a lot about the illusionists of our past. I also just read Alexander which was a great one too.

Ben
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I recently came across a new hardbound copy of this at Powells in Portland on sale for $5.00. I had passed on this when it originally came out but am glad I finally picked up a copy. It is well written, very informative, and I thought an enjoyable and interesting read. I will certainly be buying his new book for the public on Chung Lee Soo.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I think this is an incredible book and I wouldn't hesitate to let any non-magicians read it (I've let several actually, and all really enjoyed it). The interest it will generate in the craft of magic far outweighs any notions of "exposure." I read the excerpt of his new book about Chung Ling Soo in Genii magazine and it looks like it's going to be another great read.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I'm not finished, but I enjoy reading about the History of Magic, a I love this book.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
This is a brilliant book. jim pepper's it with magic theory which I really enjoy. I found this was better and more relevant to a magician than strong magic. uh-oh, did he just say that? yes.

my only complaint about the book is the bibliography. while I understand that jim put tremendous effort in compiling the book, it seems that he took some liberties in regards to thoughts of the performers of the day. of course,this is understandable because he was weaving a historical story and he did a fantastic job doing so.

I'm just a reference freak with a research background. anyone you has ever delved into the world of primary sources knows that battle that jim fought.

this book is a must for every magician.

oliver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Hiding the Elephant (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL