The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Rentals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I have about 15 Illusions including Orgami (built by Wellington) and other professional builders. I have in the past rented out my illusions to a few Magicans that I know personnaly. I was thinking about opening up shop in New York renting illusions. I have 5 more that are on the way and will be finished in the next 2 months some are only good if there is a long run stage show, and other are good for short one night show. My goal is too make sure that the illusions are rented by those that are real working
magicans and not those that want to copy or just mess up a great illusion. I was thinking about only renting to those that are IBM or SAM members. I would like all feedback good and bad. My goal is to help those that may have a gig at a trade show or a corporate show and need a great illusion and can not affordt to buy one for $12,000.00 or for those that need the illusion and are wait theirs to be built, etc.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
It is impossible to rent! Only to sell!
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Yfirum
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Yfirum
Why should renting be impossible?
As far as I know there are quite a few companies out there which rent their illusions. At least theres one in Germany (can't remember the name). If you're talking about giving away the secrets: so what, you won't be able to rebuild a huge illusion just because you know how it works.
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
Chezaday in Chicago rents magic props for photo shoots and plays. You might e-mail him.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Quote:
On 2004-12-16 11:06, Yfirum wrote:
Why should renting be impossible?
As far as I know there are quite a few companies out there which rent their illusions. At least theres one in Germany (can't remember the name).
if you're talking about giving away the secrets: so what, you won't be able to rebuild a huge illusion just because you know how it works.

If to give illusion in rent by everything then the trade of the illusionist will cost more cheaply! (this my opinion)
Alex Krey
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
I like the idea...send me more info when your up and running.

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well by renting you can rent an Illusion to Trade Shows. I wouldn't narrow your customers to just magicians that are IBM or Sams. You can gear to CEO of companies that have stock holders meeting. Like I live in Battle Creek and every year they have a stock holder meeting and if you share with them about renting an Illusion to them they might find something that might fit there meeting and put it in. Maybe like a really different entrance or say they are going to split the shares. Well cut the CEO in half or soemthing like that.

Also look at Trade Shows. Companies could use something like this to there advantage. Just some thoughts.

Also some full time magicians aren't part of SAMS or IBM.

Michael

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
A very interesting idea. How would you structure your fees? For instance, when you combine wear and tear, shipping, and rental costs, would there be a significant savings to rent from you versus buying direct? For instance, if you're in New York and I'm in Texas and want to rent an illusion for a weekend show (all hypothetical), would it be more practical for me to rent from you at $2000 or buy direct for $3500? (Just ballpark numbers) And I could have the ability to re-use my own illusion, of course. Just thinking out loud....
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Well I remember the way Tannen's magic shop use to rent was 50% of the value of the illusion. Fees would be structured with consideration if the prop has a lot of wear and tear and also depending on the location, time duration of rental and other
factors that I have been working on. I do not want to sell my illusion because I am an Illusionist Lover I can't part with them like that. I get joy just walking thru my ware house looking at them and a even bigger joy performing them!
To rent an illusion that cost $3500 for $2000 does not make since. More like illusion cost $3500 rent for $ 1650.00.
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
It's a good idea but you should really make sure that the people that rent them not to tell the secert or not do the illusion wrong where people can figure it out.
Kyle
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Well I think it all comes down to what situation each of the customers have...WOW a wearhouse....hmmm...Love to see some pictures of your stuff.

In Magic Mag. I once read several times that there was a company that was renting Illusions...

I mean if you have them and you don't use them and someone needs something right away and you have something...bam there you go. Helps you and the customer.

Michael
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
$1650 plus transport and tax could easily get you pretty close to $2000, thus making my analogy fairly accurate. But I guess here is my drawback - and maybe no one else shares it. If I pay to rent an illusion and expect to perform that illusion more than once, I'm better off buying it if it will cost me half price anyway. I don't know, maybe that price structure is intentional to keep them out of the hands of those who aren't ready for them yet. For me, if I can afford $6000 to rent a $12,000 illusion for one show, I should be able to dig up the other $6,000 to invest in my own and perform it multiple times. Also - does the charge vary for different lengths of time? Weekend vs month-long run?
Just my musings.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

By the sounds of it, it might be in the drawing board and wanted to get some ideas of what he should be pricing things at.

Michael
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
It is nonsense!
Alex Krey
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Why is it nonsense? It may not work in your country, but it will work in the states, because don't forget why wouldn't you rent stuff to a company for a special event. They don't care if they are paying half price. They just don't want to be stuck with the prop afterwards. So they will go that route.

Think out side the box for once.

Michael
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
I hesitated to make a post on this topic, but I'm going to anyway. First of all, the concept of renting does have purpose with LONG running performances or plays where a capital purchase is not an option. However, for a performer to rent for a show or two is just crazy to me. Once again, it all ties back in to the performer making the show, not the prop. If you need to rent a prop because you can't afford it, then maybe you're not a point in your career where you should be focused on that prop yet. Work your way up. I'd be curious to hear how many top pros rented to make it to the top. My guess is none.

My opinion is that rental for short term would be for ego driven purposes as opposed to a logically thought out business purpose. Logical business purpose would be to purchase the props when you make it to that level.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Personally, I would be hesitant to BUY Origami if I was seeing it all over town being used by non-magicians. I agree with Alex, renting out illusions is a bad idea for magic. Now if someone wants to rent me and my prop, then it's a gig!
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I think that the only way I would rent out my props is if I was personally with them for the show. Just my opinion.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I have once rented Bo-Staff for one show when my finale (a bit similar effect) broke. Everything worked like a charm but generally speaking
I wouldn´t rent props for a short time-from what I´ve checked, the rental prices are usually so high it would be wiser to save the money and get your own illusions. It certainly has it´s place-long run shows, emergencies,corporate parties and such and in my opinion, also TV.

My assistant´s revenge has been rented out for over a year now and I am very happy with the situation as is the friend who rents it. But I personally wouldn´t rent it to anyone.
Sent from my Typewriter
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Thanks for your input on the matter, I have decided to rent out a selected few of my illusions and I am very happy with the way things are going I have a few other illusions that I have that I asked the creaters if they mind and a few told me that they would rather me not do that so I will honor thier request. For the person that told me that it was foolish or that it would never work, I guess never did corporate shows, cruise liners, or amusment parks. those are my new customers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Rentals (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL