The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Rentals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Freefallillusion, I couldn't disagree with you more.

~A magician's willingness to properly rehearse and learn the details of an illusion to arrive at a spectacular, well-done performance is in no way tied to their financial status.~

For example, I myself couldn't afford to buy a $20k prop, but if I rented one you bet I'd take the time to perfect the presentation before putting it on stage.

On the other hand, a certain Las Vegas magician has several expensive props, upwards of $20k, and yet the show has always been miserable.

--Jack Smile
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
If you rent one doesn;t that give you the chance also to see if you would want to invest in it to.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Kevin,
Yes, I agree that one could rent a prop and put a week into the rehearsals, and probably pull it off. But, I still think that after trying to master a piece of magical performance art after only one week, they would indeed be "just pulling it off". This person's performance is never going to look like the performance of someone who rehearsed the routine for much, much longer, and if the renter got the prop for THAT long, couldn't they almost buy it at that point?

Jack,
I also can't afford to buy a zillion dollar prop, and most of those who can, well, they put in the time to make the routine something really special. If a prop costs that much, shouldn't the performance of it look REALLY good? We don't need magicians presenting hack performances of big illusions!

Here's another thing- I have a full illusion show, and I have been contacted on several occasions by knowledgable magicians who wanted to do exactly what this whole thread is about. They wanted to pay me good money to rent some of my props. I said no in every case, not only for the reasons listed above, but for another reason. Take for example my One-Man-Modern-Art (I know, other people do it but it's not as well known by the general public as, say, sub-trunk). I feel like the money I paid for this prop is part of being able to be known as "The guy who cuts himself in half". I would not ever want to do a show and later have someone tell me that they "already saw that one", only to later find out that it was courtesy of my own prop! Am I wrong?

I only say all this because I think magic is enjoying a resugence right now, and I for one would like to see it helped along any way possible. Good performances are good for magic. What's good for magic is good for all of us!

Phil
TheMagicOfDamon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDamon
Hey all,
I think the guy who wants to start an illusion rental business has a great idea. For s***s and giggles I did a web search.

Here is what I found http://www.blackstonemagic.com/id20.htm
newsmaya
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of newsmaya
Magician a.kant is provide so many illusion on rent with/without their traind staff in so many countries email is illusionmaking@yahoo.com
NEWSMAYA
MAGIC MAGAZINE FROM INDIA

newsmaya@yahoo.com
Patrick Miller
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Patrick Miller
There is a lot of good info here. As for a short term rental I couldn't see it working unless you knew the magician and his ability. I could see a good magician landing a large corp. show and needing some large illusions. There is a strong concern as to who is going to rent and their ability.
As for the corperate rentals, I can't see them renting without a magician to perform the illusion. As for leasing as props for shows there might be a good market in NY. I don't think it would make any sense to try to do short term rentals where shipping was involved.
I think you would need to develop a list of quality magicians and work with them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Rentals (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL