The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A New Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Here is an idea I am batting around for an "impromptu" effect. You know when you are in checkout lines at Wal-Mart, K-Mart,Target or some similar store and they have decks of cards in the checkout line? Here is something I am putting together. Maybe it has been done before....maybe not.

When checking out, grab one of the decks and make sure it is the last item you pay for. Tell the cashier to leave the cards out of the bag. After paying, ask them to think of a card and commit it to memory. Open the cards and spread through them. One card is reversed in the new deck. It is turned over to be their thought of card! YIKES!!! I know, I know.... another invisible deck routine, but I think this would be a killer routine. Especially if the cards come in a pack of two. One red, and one blue. Have them pick a deck. No force. Then go into the routine. What do you guys think of this? Of course their will need to be some careful planning and set up, but that is just part of the fun. And for the naysayers out there, nothing is impossible. There is always a way to turn an impossibility into a probability. If you guys have any ideas on how to make the effect stronger, or would like to discuss this effect in detail, please elaborate.

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
sanju
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of sanju
WOW! this is a great idea to hold up lines in supermarkets, annoy a cashier AND other customers all at the same time! You should copyright and publish the idea, before someone else does!
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I figured someone would post something like this. Like I stated above, this needs CAREFUL PLANNING AND SETUP! As for annoying customers, the cashier and holding up the line, I don't think the customers would mind all that much to see something so "impossible". I have done magic in checkout lines several times and the cashiers and customers loved it. Please no more sarcasm. This is just an idea I was batting around. I didn't say I would perform it for sure, but I might. It is just one of those things that would look totally impossible. And who knows? The cashier might be having a bad day and something like this just might cheer them up a little. Oh well.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
If the casher is a nice girl worth get to become friend, it is worth pay extra money for your own ID installed secretly in the package.

Hideo Kato
gimpy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of gimpy
I think that this is a good idea, you could use shuttle passes once you open the decks whichever it may be and shuttle pass the invisible deck, this is the only thing that I can think of but I'm sure it could work
Laban
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Laban
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 20:49, sanju wrote:
WOW! this is a great idea to hold up lines in supermarkets, annoy a cashier AND other customers all at the same time! You should copyright and publish the idea, before someone else does!

Lol, exactly what I thought

and in the end, he would probably be told to pay for the deck as well. Smile
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Man.... don't these people read these posts? The second paragraph states paying for the cards. Smile

Albert Einstein
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Are you in a regular line-up or a 10 items or less line-up?

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Laban
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Laban
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 22:42, Phil Thomas wrote:
Man.... don't these people read these posts? The second paragraph states paying for the cards. Smile

Well now I really don't see the point at that. It's like performing in front of a spectator and in the end reaching for your wallet and paying him.
Is this supposed to be some kind of a gag?

excuse me for a second while I laugh my ass off. Smile
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Soounds like a great idea to me! The impact on the cashier would be huge. Here's an a furtherance of your idea that's sure to get me flamed Smile would take some nerve though :

This could be a good impromptu way to have some fun with someone else in line while waiting ... especially when the packs are on the checkout aisle display. Youd have to not mind cracking it open before paying (you would pay when its your turn of course), and of course if you caught security's eye you could be in for a huge embarassment. Smile
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 23:05, Laban wrote:
Quote:

Well now I really don't see the point at that. It's like performing in front of a spectator and in the end reaching for your wallet and paying him.

Hmmmmmmmm. Let's think about this one shall we? The idea is to be doing an impossible trick with a new deck of cards that you just bought. That way, you can't be accused of using a "setup" deck. It makes the effect even more impossible as it looks like there is no possible way for the cards to be "tampered" with. The logic is simple people. Take some time to think about it. I'm sure it will come to you. New decks cost about $2.00 anyway. Such a small cost to pay for such a powerful effect.

Albert Einstein
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
I seen a trick somewhere that reminds me of Phil's idea. It's where you purchase a pack of cards and a pack of basball or yugio cards. The cashier selects and signs a card from the playing cards and it is replaced in the deck. Upon spreading the cards a baseball card is seen in the middle of the deck. Seeing this you open the pack of baseball cards and a playing card is seen in the pack. The baseball card is used to flip over the playing card to prove no funny moves and the signed card is seen. If you guys are interested and if I'm allowed I will post the method.
Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
I agree....a powerful effect....it is sure to leave a lasting impression. But not of you as a magician; but instead of a guy who does tricks for people who don't wish to see them.
I'm sorry....the idea is really a good one. But NOT in a check-out lane. How about having someone else buy the cards (you can give them the money) and then performing a "miracle" for them in the snack area or outside?
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
JoshEarp
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of JoshEarp
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 23:56, Phil Thomas wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 23:05, Laban wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmmmmmm. Let's think about this one shall we? The idea is to be doing an impossible trick with a new deck of cards that you just bought. That way, you can't be accused of using a "setup" deck. It makes the effect even more impossible as it looks like there is no possible way for the cards to be "tampered" with. The logic is simple people. Take some time to think about it. I'm sure it will come to you. New decks cost about $2.00 anyway. Such a small cost to pay for such a powerful effect.

Not only that, but if your going to pick up a new pack of cards, what a great oppritunity?
sanju
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of sanju
Man, I really hope none of you are serious... Phil, no offense but you WILL end up being remembered by the management and clientele as the "idiot who thinks hes david blaine".
Seriously, once you get a tv special itd be a cool idea. But right now its a pretty dumb one. sorry.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
This highlights the difference between a pro who thinks "I am going to go out and entertain others" and the beginner who thinks "I'm going to go show as many random people my tricks, because *everyone* wants to see magic when they aren't expecting it, right?".

Though, I'll admit this might look good on a TV special....

Too bad life isn't a TV special..
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
I don't think phil was talking about just randomly doing this to the first cashier that he came across. I can really see this going off well if the spectator and timing are right. Obviously you wouldnt do it if it didn't "feel" right. Certainly not a dumb idea by any means ...
Laban
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Laban
Lay-people don't know how to appreciate you openeing a "new deck" and showing the "invisible deck" effect.
They'll react just as well to you taking a deck out of your pockect and perform a DL (yes just a plain DL where you flip a card, then it changes when you flip it again). Now before you all snap at me - yes, I know magic is a performing art that sould be evolving and producing new effects all the time.
But due to the circumstances and the situation you described...it's just not worth it (and it sounds a bit silly too).
Although if I would go your way, I'd really take a new deck and perform the Tarquins Real Invisible Deck.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
You won't be able pass off an invisible deck as a new deck. If you need to spread to near the bottom it will be obvious that there are only 13 spades and 13 diamonds (or whatever). It will be completly obvious that there's something strange about this deck with only 26 cards in it.

On the other hand, you might be able to reverse one of the jokers near the center and spread FU. You'll know exactly where the named card is in the deck and could run it under the spread ... The spec will note that the named card is not in position and that there is a reversed card... Would be cool if the reversed card were in the proper position...

Mike
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Good point Mike,

Youd have to customize the ID by rearranging to look like a new deck (solves the order problem) ... then spread just enough to get to the turned over card (solves the 26 card problem)... the new arrangement would even make it easier ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » A New Idea (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL