The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind / mentalism videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Regarding Osterlind's videos ... can anyone who has studied his videos comment on how much is orginal and how much (if any) is not?

Also suggestions on the best mentalism DVDs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
If you mean his Mind Mysteries videos all of it is original, some of it may be a twist on an old classic.

And my suggestions on best mentalism DVDs would be the Osterlind ones definitely, and Banachek's.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Muddy -

You are likely wanting to know about Osterlind's new 4 video set, Easy To Master Mental Miracles. You can see the list of contents here:

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......;page=12

Scroll to the bottom and click on each DVD. The 4th DVD is on the page after the page I linked above. Most of the content is not original but is credited. The question of whether appropriate permissions were obtained before selling videos fo these effects has, to my mind, not been adequately answered by Richard or L&L. He did answer that some of Annemann's material is public domain.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Yes, I was talking about Easy to Master Mental Miracles. The reason I asked was that the promo clip showed some very familiar looking material (after studying Annemann). I was considering purchasing some videos and was just wondering how much of it would merely be a video presentation of material I already have.

In any event, the link you gave spells it out pretty good.

Another question ... have you viewed these videos and would you recommend them (all things considered including ethical) ... or would you consider the Mind Mysteries videos a better buy?

Thanks for both replies btw!
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I think it depends on what you are looking for and your level as a mentalist. Either way, because eventually you'll own all of them anyway. I recommend them because you'll learn a lot watching Richard. I think he's awesome! You just can't lose, really.

Anabelle
DYL
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
73 Posts

Profile of DYL
You will recognize a lot of the material performed on ETMMM, because as mentioned they are all classics from down the years.
All effects have the original creator mentioned.

Seeing these effects performed and explained is fantastic though. A book goes a long way, but seeing Osterlind perform them helps tremendously.
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
They may be old effects but the value of the DVDs is in seeing how a good presentation really brings them to life. You know, there is a common prejudice that surfaces quite regularly (here and on other boards) that all that Annemann and Corinda stuff is just so old fashioned that it can't possibly work these days. Richard Osterlind shows very effectively that these effects work if the mentalist makes them work. I think that is the main value of the DVDs over and above the effects are described in the original texts: they demonstrate the crucial importance of presentation.

best wishes
Huw
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I was talking with Bill Palmer this morning and we got on the subject of these DVDs. His response was the same as mine. Who better to show you how the old classics should be done than Richard Osterlind! This is one of the finest presentations of mentalism that has been given to the community.

As to the "ethical" issue, that's been overdiscussed elsewhere on the board.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Thanks to all ... sounds like this might be good material for me ... maybe I'll wait to see if the price drops after the holidays Smile

Thanks again!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
My prediction is that neither Mind Mysteries nor ETMMM will drop in price.
They are way under priced as it is, compared to what you get for your money.

Sven
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1178 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2004-12-21 15:37, Anabelle wrote:
I think it depends on what you are looking for and your level as a mentalist. Either way, because eventually you'll own all of them anyway. I recommend them because you'll learn a lot watching Richard. I think he's awesome! You just can't lose, really.

Anabelle

I fully agree with Anabelle. Going through all my sources I always come back to Mr. Osterlinds material. It's mindbaffling, very practical and adapted to real life performing situations. Both the DVD's and the books/ebooks are great value for money - among the greatest.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Muddy -

Can't help ya as I have not seen them. Others here are (clearly) in a better position to advise you on that.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3050 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
You can get Mind Mysteries pretty cheap in VHS format (L&L). That's what I did. Of course, I now consider that to have been a mistake. The videos are really good, and it's much easier to learn from a DVD.

Elliott
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2004-12-21 19:28, Muddy wrote:
Thanks to all ... sounds like this might be good material for me ... maybe I'll wait to see if the price drops after the holidays Smile

Thanks again!

Drop in price? Just buy them. If you have a real interest in the art of mentalism, price should not be an issue.

For what you are getting, they are under priced.

Please show some respect for the artist and the material.
Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Quote:
Please show some respect for the artist and the material.

No disrespect was intended nor implied. I reread my post and I don't think a reasonable assesment could be made otherwise.

With respect,
Muddy
:)
magicruss
View Profile
New user
So. California
14 Posts

Profile of magicruss
You can't go wrong with any of Richard's videos. They are outstanding and in addition to being an amazing performer, he is an excellent teacher. As stated previously, the videos credit the originator of each effect, but Richard has modified, tweaked, or perfected each one as to make it his own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind / mentalism videos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL