The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Number of Street Shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I was just wondering if you hit the streets and perform just the same show a number of times, or do you have a variety?

And if you have a variety, about how many do you use and do you cycle through them as the day progresses?

Chris
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Every audience brings out a different show in me.

That said, it is usually not a lot of different magic. I still have the same basic repertoire, but might drop out something, or add something else I have with me just for a change of pace. But then it is also often the same magic, but a different kind of interaction and banter with the specs.

I do get bored doing the same three/four effects time and time again, even when getting good hats. So I have a tendency on a long day to mix everything in the middle, keeping the same tried and true opener, and closer.

But the problem with being too prepared to do too much, is that you have to carry too much with you. And it doesn't take long to decide that if its gets carried, it had better get performed(and work for you), or pretty soon, you will find it not being carried anymore.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Working with a partner, the sets rotate for us. I usually do not repeat the finale effect, but will repeat other effects as the audience changes.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Cstreet,

Most guys (and there are exceptions to every rule) do the same tricks and rough outline of the same show every show.

The good performers interact with the audience and their surroundings so much that it would be next to impossible for every show to be the same.

But, a big reason that they can "ad-lib" so much is because they know their core act cold, and I mean solid.

A guy like Gazzo can be mid trick and something, and I mean anything, could happen and draw his attention away to that occurrence for anywhere between five seconds and thirty minutes. As long as the audience was enjoying the comedy he will go with the flow. Then at the exact instant that it becomes necessary to haul it back in he will pick up the trick at the moment he paused without losing his place.

It is a phenomenon to witness. It is also a point that I am trying very hard to find in my core act.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I do the same show each and every time ... like Danny pointed out, experienced performers know their act down pat inside and out.

When I am performing, I often find my mind drifting away into other thoughts - I'll be pattering about my "Disappearing JoeJoe" and at the same time, my entire mind will be occupited with my girlfriend, a new illusion I am working on, rethinking a movie I saw, or what I'm going to have for dinner. In the beginning, I would have never imagined I would be able to do that - as it took all my mind to remember what to say next and what to do. It's not something you should try to do, it's just something that will eventually happen.

I do like to varry it up, or else I get board ... generally speaking, I use the same open and the same close always ... I may switch out the middle trick, do one card trick this show and another one the next show. That keeps it fun for me.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I heard one time, WHY CHANGE WHAT WORKS, that to me is a good saying by all means improve it, but if it works don't change it.
Now all shows do change in time, but what takes place in a real successful show is a development of an ideal. Now I do have different shows and I am working on a new one as we speak, but they are shows for different events. Streets, Stage, Close-up, Comedy, and themed events and I do have different shows for repeat events, but I have my main show for each event.
Mario
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Cheers to everyone here, you have been really helpful. Playing about with the middle section of my show is what I had in mind. I am glad this is reflected here at the magic Café. Cheers again,

Chris
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
For differnt spectator I show different trick.
Sometimes I circle the tricks.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Number of Street Shows? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL