The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Through Neck/Body (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Hello All,
I do not do any rope magic but I've always enjoyed watching the effect where a magi causes a piece of rope to pass through either the neck or body of the spec or self after the rope has apparently been secured/knotted/looped around the body or neck. Would anyone care to share a method with me? Feel free to PM as revealing secrets isn't "appropriate" in this particular forum. Thank you all!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The Dover reprint of Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic is cheap and readily available. It contains many good penetrations.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
You can also find a version in the Tarbell series.
Dorian Gray
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dorian Gray
I use a silk to do the trick that you are describing. If it is the same trick, it can be found in any good book on silks. I have also seen it in several beginning books on magic.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I like using the Tenkai method for this. It's found in Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic Volume 1 and Daryl's Foolers Doolers DVD volume 2.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
I have used a method found in Magic for Dummies. There is also a method in Mark Wilson's Course.

Keith
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thank you all for your responses! I am beginning some deeper research now and can't wait to see what I find. Again, thank you!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
juggle
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of juggle
Is the method that Daryl teaches on his videos really practical? It seems that the spectator sees that something is going on (but it is so fast that they can't really see exactly what is going on)...
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Daryl's Fooler Doolers vol.2 has two methods for the body and one for the neck.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Juggle, I almost take your question as being rhetorical since you seem to answer it as soon as you asked it. I do think it is practical since the audience doesn't really pick up on anything being done other what seems to be going on --- which is the rope going around the neck. If you tie again in front of your neck there is a knot after the penetration.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
pointStack
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of pointStack
Daryl's video set on ropes is all that you will ever need.
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
Tenkai's rope through neck is my favorite. A normal piece of rope is used and it can be done at any time.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I am going to second the recommendation of Daryl's Rope DVD's -- they are terrific for those who do better watching than reading.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
I too use the method described in Mark Wilson's book, with a little twist I put in it as well.
- Tommy Magic
Doc Pepper
View Profile
New user
Black Hills of South Dakota
82 Posts

Profile of Doc Pepper
I do the rope thru the body and the scarf thru the neck in all my shows. They are real crowd pleasers. I also do the `thru the beads' illusion where a person holds a big bead in his hand and you tie the small rope around his hand. When jerked, the rope comes thru his hand leaving the bead in place inside his hand..

There are many many books out there that explain these tricks.
The Doctor will see you now! ;-)
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
Greetings,

I end my show with a version of Ropes through the body.
I use 3 spectaters 2 men (at each end of the ropes and a woman in the middle)

I got this routine from a friend, but it is based on the Grandmother's Necklace principle.

PM me for more details.

Magically thine,

Scott Alcalay
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Years ago I purchased the Rope thru Neck from Owen. It worked great until I misplaced it. Trying to use regular rope caused a rope burn around my neck. The Owen rope has an outer silky covering which prevented the burn. They also provided a really cool routine, but for the sake of me, I can't remember what it was.

Pax Mentis
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Pax, you can over come that by wearing a shirt with a collar--or picking a spec with said type of shirt. Just flip up the collar. I do this as I explain, "If the trick works, this will prevent a rope burn. If it doesn't, a rope burn will be the least of your problems!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
The end of my rope act is "the rope thru the neck" I use the version published in Magic for Dummies, which I believe is Tenkai's version.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=5247
This is the link, so you can see, that it really is practical and gets good reactions. (The video is in German)

mmG Roland Henning
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Scott,

Thanks for the tip. Poe was right, the most obvious is the hardest to fathom.

Pax Mentis
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Through Neck/Body (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL