The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Okito Box and The Purse Frame for coin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I have bought these items from a local magic shop but I don't know how to use them. What videos do you recommend for the use of an Okito Box and a Purse Frame? I'd love to learn magic with these two new items of mine.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Both were kind of pioneered by Slydini ( no videos) and David Roth ( lots of videos ).
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The purse frame is used for the appearance/disappearance of coins, and requires knowledge of a few coin sleights. The purse is not a "trick" in itself, but is more of a "utility item" that's used in conjunction with separate effects or routines.

If you are new to coin magic, one of the best places to start with coin sleights is the book "Modern Coin Magic" by J.B. Bobo; it's available from any number of magic shops. If you do better with DVD's, see Volume 1 of David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic."

The Okito Box is a great coin accessory, but also requires some sleight of hand. Take a look at David Roth's DVD, Volume 2 of "Ultimate Coin Magic," see http://themagicwarehouse.com/vidco2.html#dv9604. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "The Okito Box is a great coin accessory, but also requires some sleight of hand"

Some?!? Smile

I'd have to say that, in my opinion, a little more than "some" SOH skill is required to perform most coin box routines.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Mike, this is probably true, because in addition to knowing a few coin sleights, you need to know the sleights for the box itself. That IS a lot for a novice to handle all at once.

So instead of saying "some" SOH, I will say "a fair amount" of SOH, that seems to be more accurate. SETH
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks for the advice. I have J.B. Bobo and I think I'll check the routines in it.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
David Roth has an entire video on the okito box. It has enough material to keep you busy or months (if not years)
Steve
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
It's like almost everything else... the more familiar and comfortable with sleight of hand you are, the more flexibility you have, and the more possibilities exist for your magic. A very workable routine for the coin box (or purse) is possible using nothing more than a classic palm and a rim steal (or fake take in the case of the purse)... However, the better your abilities to execute those two simple moves are, the better the routine looks to the audience Smile

Cheers,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Both the purseframe and Okito box are GREAT places to apply Edge Grip. They are what motivated some of the stuff you may have read about. Smile
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I noticed that there are some types of coin boxes. Are there any real differences in it or just the design it is made?

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

There are several types of coin boxes. have a look in Modern Coin Magic for details.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
There are several types of coin boxes. So you may want to consider a set so that you can switch between using a box that can be examined & 1 that can't be. Roth sells a set of 3 different types that is nice & on his video shows a great ending for a routine that rings in a boston box but ends with a regular (examinable)box.
NCSteve
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Different companies sell different styles and designs of Okito boxes, but they all work basically the same way. Ditto for the gaffed Okito boxes (like a Boston box, named after magician George Boston, and the slot box that David Roth popularized.)

You may have your own preferences for light/heavy boxes and thick/thin walls. There is also a line of "Buddha Boxes," which are designed a little differently but come in all the traditional flavors. See this webpage for details: http://themagicwarehouse.com/coins.html You also can't go wrong with a Johnson Okito box or set, see http://themagicwarehouse.com/johnson2.html#jo1440

I would start with just the basic box or a small 3-piece set and see if you like it before investing in many different types of Okito boxes. My second purchase would either be a slot box or a magnetic box, because I think they offer more possibilities than a Boston box (it's good, but produces only a one-shot effect that's not as versatile, in my opinion, and it's not examinable, either). I also like the undersized box as a cute way to finish an Okito Box routine, but that can wait until you become proficient with a regular box, and also with switching boxes. Good Luck! SETH
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Personally, I started with a very basic Okito Box.
I first read "Modern Coin Magic", Mohammed Bey's booklet, later Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" and other coin books.

I've used Purse Frame mostly for productions coins as well as other items.

I've done the same with the Okito Box but use this for more complete routines. I have a set of 4. Regular, Boston, Slot and Solid but use the Regular for one routine and end with the coins vanishing and the box being Solid brass.

Jonathan Townsend states that, "Both the purseframe and Okito box are GREAT places to apply Edge Grip." This is so true! I am a big fan of this grip as well as the deeper Down's Palm.

At one point of my experimenting with the Okito Box I ended a coin routine by having the coins vanish and producing a sponge ball from the box. Although I never performed it, I thought it would be a good way to move into the next phase of an act.

Play with the props, read about them and practice. You will come up with "your" effect.
I just came up with the idea that I could produce an Okito box from a Purse Frame, show it empty and then produce coins from the Box.

Maybe the Christmas drinks are talkin' here a bit but.. take it as you will.

Jonathan. I look forward to a publication on your coin innovations. Anything in the works?

Happy Holidays and thank you all for sharing your knowledge and giving me inspiration.
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
Sponge balls are a staple of magic. The "purse" is a perfect item to start a sponge ball routine. The appearance of several balls from a small frame is very intriguing to an audience. Slight of hand for sponge balls is a must, but the basic move can be used throughout the routine and is easily mastered if you are new to magic.

The David Roth video ( believe it is volume 11) as mentioned by others is the last word in Coin Box work. I've studied the basic Okito Box, the Boston Box and the Slot box over the past few years. Seeing David Roth perform his routines is an endlessly enjoyable experience for me.

You have the props for a treasure trove of magic. You would be making a wise choice to pursue this area of Close Up Magic, but be prepared for many hours of practice to make it perfect.

Nick Maggio
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Both are basic props of coin magic that I carry in my pockets all the time.
The Okito Box contains 4 halfs and a sh... which easily gives me a 15 - 20 minute coin routine.
The purse frame can be used for vanishes, productions, and as a wand.
Slydini and Roth are your best sources for both.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
With Roth's Ultimate Coin Magic now on DVD I feel their is no greater resource for the coin box (visually). I've got BoBos (for print) where do I go now for additional routines, sleights etc?
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I'm not sure there are any published routines with the two of these together, although it's interesting. Perhaps a "commando" version of David Roth's "Portable Hole"?

Okay, if you can find it, maybe Kurtz's "Relentless" routine uses both. But that's just a guess.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I use the Jim Zachary boxes. I had used a Johnson for years, but gave it to my son when I got the Jim Z. boxes.

As far as material, I think that Bob Bengal and Dave Neighbors have some of the best stuff that I have seen. A lot of Bob's stuff was written up by Harry Lorayne in Apocolypse.

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Shoot Ogawa does a BEAUTIFUL purse frame routine on the Cultural Exchange DVD, it's well worth taking a look at.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Okito Box and The Purse Frame for coin magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL