The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Aesthetics of final loads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Seth, I understood you and was laughing WITH what you said. I'm serious about the Raven and my coat of many pockets.

I have a duster. Picture this, a knee length coat. There are side pockets with the opening of the pocket pointing back to rear. ON TOP of those pockets is another pair of pockets with the opening towards the top!

Now put a Topit behind each of those double pockets and you have something. I think it will expand my cups and balls tremendously when I figure out how to work all that into my routine.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I LOVE this kind of topic. I have 2 routines currently. My mini routine, with my Riser mini-cups finishes with small rubber billard balls, usually 8 balls. I ask, now how many balls in the middle cup? Would you believe 8?!? This idea also occured to John Bannon and I believe is in one of his books.
My standard routine, which I use only at formal close-up/parlor; and I call "The Oldest Trick in the Book", is based on the Vernon routine, and finishes with 3 pieces of fruit, and the cups get stacked. I let them Applaud and let them think I'm done. I finish with this line. "Thank you so much. When you go to work tomorrow, tell everyone about the great time you had here tonight, and you too, were fooled by the oldes trick in the book." I tip the cups back and reveal a large ball, that matches the kind I used in the beginning, i.e. baseball, crocheted ball etc. I like to bring it all back together by using a similar ball as the 4th load. I also like Ammar's poing about leaving the cups either mouth up, or lying on their side to indicate you are done. This is because every time you lift a cup there is something new under it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just this last year I rediscoverd something I saw in print long ago that makes for an AMAZING routine. If I get the props together... watch out! Very cute idea. And it's in print from thousands of years ago. The joy of reading!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 15:15, sethb wrote:
I find it ironic that many magicians are always on the lookout for "what's new," when they haven't ever fully explored "what's old" yet.

Bull's eye, Seth! The quest for the magic bullet is the rut of many a magician. After collecting books for over 40 years, I have begun selling off all the new stuff; the books that contain the routines of others. I read 'em, but I don't need 'em. I can think for myself. What I am keeping are the books that teach the basics. In fact, on my desk, there is no book less than a hundred years old, and that's for precisely the reason you touched on.

From the time I first started to learn sleight of hand, I have always enjoyed the purity of manipulating a ball. It just seems "right". Without even realizing it, the audience can relate to the perfection of the object, too. To produce or vanish that object serves only to establish a state being, or not being. But cover it, and you have created a sense of the unknown, and with that...SUSPENSE!

The cups and the Balls... the oldest trick in the world, and it's still the best.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 08:52, BerkleyJL wrote:
What about a bouquet of spring flowers as the 4th final? It will certainly look (and be) too large to fit in the cup after it is produced.

My only feeling about that is that most spring flowers look like folded up pieces of tissue paper. Consider that the spring flower was originally conceived to be used at stage distances under gas light. Also, DeKolta used a ratio of about 5 to 1 green "flowers" to colored ones, so it looked like he was producing a bush with flowers on it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
First, the Bannon routine mentioned by Pepkin is in Bannon's book, 'Impossibilia'. Currently out of print but procured for me by one of the fine frequenters of this forum. You didn't quite remember it the way that he wrote about it though. It was more like (three cups sitting in a triangle, mouth down), "I don't use just one ball, I don't use 3. I use 8". Then he procedes to produce the three from one cup, then a final load from another cup, another final load from another, this he repeats until he has 8 balls on the table. Of course he has to produce final loads from cups that have already produced final loads.

It's a good routine and heavily influenced mine. It's very fresh.

Now Mr. Baker brought up a point. I was rolling a ball around in my hand while watching a video on sponge ball magic. The magician was demonstrating a detail of the retaining pass and said that this came from his coin routines. I glanced down at the ball and tried it. Suddenly my retaining pass for cups and balls improved. I used a concept taken from a sponge ball routine that was taken from a coin routine.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Great topic!

There is NO feeling comparable to the one you have when the finals are loaded, the dirty work is done, and in a few seconds the jaws are going to hit the table-edge! (Well perhaps one other feeling...)
A few years ago I found some wind-up chicks in a toy-store, and immediatly bought four. Finally I could be Gally-Gally, without having to buy new chicken every week! They fit nicely under my cups, and because the cups were heavy, they didn't move until I lifted the cup.
They need some sort of "holder" though, or they tend to "run out of steam" before I can load them. I haven't quite cracked that problem yet...

Quote:
On 2004-12-22 11:47, geemack wrote:
For dice stacking I load regulation pool balls, first an 8-ball, then as a final kicker a 5-ball. They are obviously different colors. My comment to the spectators is about how the lights aren't very bright in here and I could have sneaked this black ball in while you weren't looking (even if in the most brightly lit setting). I follow with a line about how it would be much more difficult to do that with a bright orange ball... like this 5-ball! In this case there are two separate climaxes, with two similar but differently colored loads.

Great!
I have been experimenting along those lines myself. My Current Climax is exactly that, loading an 8-ball! If I'm in the mood I follow with a 9-ball, that's yellow, same effect as the 5-ball.
I do this with brass-cups, though... I finally found a way to avoid any "talking", I spent a month in the hospital and had PLENTY of time on my hands!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 19:26, pepka wrote:
I LOVE this kind of topic. I have 2 routines currently. My mini routine, with my Riser mini-cups finishes with small rubber billard balls, usually 8 balls. I ask, now how many balls in the middle cup? Would you believe 8?!? This idea also occured to John Bannon and I believe is in one of his books.

It's actually a very old line. Jugglers have used it as well as magicians.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
Every time I read anything Bill or the rest of you post, I always want to run to my magic table and keep practicing!
OK, How about this one-- I use the Mike Rogers balls, when it comes time to final load, my patter states "Now I know some people might think that I use an extra ball, or I have a ball hidden somewhere, but actually I use three vegetables" at this point I show the rubber veggies.
My fourth and final load is a small baseball sized soccerball, and then state "well actually I do use an extra ball" and show the fourth load.
I've seen jaws drop!!!
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's good!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

whoton
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of whoton
I use 3 big lemons followed by a mini shot glass of liquid, which I toast the audience, and drink...CHEERS!
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I'm working on a routine that will use the three standard crochet balls, and final load to consist of four balls (actually chew toys for small dogs). The final load is a mini baseball, soccer ball and two basketballs, one standard color and one blue.) I also want to throw in two cats (stuffed not real). My idea for presentation is to produce one of the mini balls, then comment that if I were in Las Vegas you (the audience) might expect to see the big cats produced (at which time I reveal the cute little stuffed cats). Then I explain that I'm just a backroad country magician so all I can do is use the basic four ball routine. At this time I produce the reamianing three balls that are just the right size for my Johnson cups. The table is now full with four balls that look like they couldn't fit in the cups plus two little stuffed cats. Is this too much of a production for the finale?
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Too much? At the end of my routine I have eight balls on the table. No, it's not too much, as long as you can think of a reason for them all to be there. In other words, if your patter supports it.
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
Thank you Bill. I will say this- when reading about people arguing their different magic routines, at times it sounds like beating a dead horse. I just haven't seen that with Cups and Balls. Each idea always seems approachable.
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As long as the applause builds, produce stuff. That's a good rule of thumb.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-12-26 02:58, Bill Palmer wrote:
As long as the applause builds, produce stuff. That's a good rule of thumb.

Precisely! If it hits a plateau, back off one and try again.

Whitewolfny - I like the cats among the final loads. Your patter seems to make it gel. It also has a nice rhythm.... BOOM!... BOOM-BOOM!!... BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!!!

Laird - I like the pattern of yours, also. I really like the idea of tossing out a logical explanation and then living up to that, but with a twist. Let me sidetrack a second... I use a similar thing with Matrix. I use 4 English Pennies, then comment afterward about an extra coin. "...except I could only find 4 English Pennies, so I had to use an American Penny. I was afraid you'd see the difference in size..."

Then, I produce a 3" jumbo American Penny.

What I like most about yours is the reversal of thought. whoton finishes with 3 lemons, then a shot glass. This is good. The pattern is that of a well-rounded conclusion, and then a big tweak at the end. In yours, the tweak is shoved in their face first, and then you soften it by delivering on the expectation, without dulling the edge. Nice.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I use whatever is available. Usuall lemons or limes (I don't do jumbos). Sometimes just big sponge balls and go into sponge routine.

Last night with Cockktail Surprise, a lime followed by a shot glass and poured a drink from the cup.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Here's something that may get someone thinking . . . I know it made me again re-explore the subtleties that are so important.

I was performing a beer and wine festival, on block away from one of our hospital helipads. I was halfway through my cups and balls routine, when the medi-copter buzzed the event on its way to a situation.

Of course, the entire crowd looked up at the whole cacophany--then looked at me to resume my cadence when the noise faded. I sponatneously said "by the way, while you were looking at that helicopter, I stuck a plum, a turnip and a lemon under the cups." They laughed. I hadn't, and finished my sequences with the small balls, confirming this was a "joke" in their minds as they saw my cups were empty. I had no idea how powerful this setup was going to be.

So there I was; cups deftly loaded, no one the wiser, and the lingering depth charge of a "goofy passing statement" ready to explode.

I thanked them for coming out. I then said "I'll need to thank that helicopter too." as I lifted the cups to reveal the fruit.

The sound was incredible.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes it is worth cutting a routine short, just to get to a really knocked-out final load sequence.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Wonder how bad hiring that helicopter every show would affect your bottom line?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Aesthetics of final loads (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL