The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Opening a new Deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I have my dog gnaw the sticker off.

Robert
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
Sometimes I attract humor when I open the deck from the wrong side.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I always peel enough of the sticker off to completely expose the half-moon. Mainly because if I don't, occasionally a card will stick and stay in the box when I slide the cards out.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
I have found that store bought and bulk bought cards have slightly different stickers. The bulk ones seem to be less conveniently layed down for a clean open.

This is an old post...does anyone in THIS year have any novel methods or ways of opening a deck? Peeling the sticker seems it would always leave that residue...

Also, anyone do tricks that use the wrapping? I do The New Limited Edition by Gordon Bean and the gaff requires it.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I always remove the sticker and save it. You never know when you'll need it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
I've seen several magicians also do some version of "peeling it like a banana." It sounds different from the way S.Y. does it based on his description. I've seen Dave Williamson, for example, do an impression of a chimp and peel the deck like a banana (at a lecture). I've seen others do that on TV.
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 16:19, NicholasD wrote:
I always peel enough of the sticker off to completely expose the half-moon. Mainly because if I don't, occasionally a card will stick and stay in the box when I slide the cards out.

Exactly!!!! I have used the sticker for years as a hold out. Put some jokers on top and you got a instant set up for card to box.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Ok talk about reviving a dead thread , the original is over 5 years old
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
n3o
View Profile
New user
Valenciennes, France
44 Posts

Profile of n3o
I also meticulously remove the sticker any gum residue it leaves behind using the sticker remaining glue to catch it!

Yea Smile
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2009, paymerich wrote:
Ok talk about reviving a dead thread , the original is over 5 years old

Say what?
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Nomad Skateboarding
View Profile
New user
Nomading
36 Posts

Profile of Nomad Skateboarding
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2004, Laban wrote:
WOW, I didn't know opening a deck is such a big deal.
I never pay attention to it, but it's kind of interesting hearing each and every ones unique method.
pacotrix

Same! Smile Very interesting reading, and obviously struck a chord as this post has more views than the others over the past week or so.

I open them by pushing a thumb or finger in and just 'breaking' the seal.
The best we can is all we can ever do Smile

dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2021, Nomad Skateboarding wrote:

I open them by pushing a thumb or finger in and just 'breaking' the seal.

I power up on the deck by taking scissors or knife and slicing through the seal. Take that, deck.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I use a small pocket knife to cut the top part of the cellophane off at the folds on top. I like to keep the bottom cellophane sleeve on the box. Then I carefully tear off the cellophane ribbon around the box. The upper section is free of cellophane while the lower two thirds of the card box is still nicely inside.

Then I slice thru the seal along the upper side of the box with the knife, leaving the remaining two pieces of the seal on the box. I'll tilt the box and let the deck slide out. A dab of fanning powder with my index finger on the sticky inner part of the seal at the half moon cut out eliminates all of the stickiness. I can recase the deck/slide it out and not worry about the top or face card getting stuck on the seal.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Removing the sticker and residue allows for a clean half-moon cutout that comes in handy for some revelations.

Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
I'd like the USPCC to adopt the method used by tobacco companies for wrapping boxes with cellophane. Never a struggle to open and easy to leave the remaining cellophane on the box, if you'd like. Is it just me?
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Surgical precision with an Exacto blade. More relaxing than meditating in front of a thousand sunsets..
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2021, Glenn Morphew wrote:
I'd like the USPCC to adopt the method used by tobacco companies for wrapping boxes with cellophane. Never a struggle to open and easy to leave the remaining cellophane on the box, if you'd like. Is it just me?

If you do it carefully it can be duplicated just like a cigarette box--most of the time.
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2021, Glenn Morphew wrote:

If the seal it stubborn I just put a few tiny slices on both sides of where the pull tab is supposed to start. Then is usually zips right off clean like a pack of smokes.

The funny thing is the last two bricks of cards I bought actually had functioning pull tabs right away. They aren't fancy cards either. Just bike standards bought in bulk at BJs.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
I usually use a single edge razor blade to get the tab started too, but wouldn't it be nice if I (we, you) didn't need to?
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Opening a new Deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL